Why NCL Premium PLUS Adult Drink Package?

Sthrngary

35 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yep! I'm an easy drunk. Just give me booze. I don't really care what, though I do enjoy Capt. Morgan which is still missing from the ships. Otherwise, I'm not really into the different brands. I guess I should be thankful hearing all this from others that they are not getting what they paid for. I feel for them! It would be like me paying for the thermal suite, only to have the big pool or loungers out of order, with no refund.

I get the p+ for Whistle Pig, but Captain Morgan being missing drives me nuts too.  Sometimes I just wan ta Captain and Diet damnit.  I know it's the bud light of rum, but something about it just nothing else is like.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:46 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Yep! I'm an easy drunk. Just give me booze. I don't really care what, though I do enjoy Capt. Morgan which is still missing from the ships. Otherwise, I'm not really into the different brands. I guess I should be thankful hearing all this from others that they are not getting what they paid for. I feel for them! It would be like me paying for the thermal suite, only to have the big pool or loungers out of order, with no refund.

They don't have Captain Morgan??!!

On 1/10/2023 at 12:08 PM, JandC_Cruising said:

Hello all, I figured I would report back to this very detailed thread based on our most recent experience.

We have upgraded to the Plus package on 4 of our past 5 cruises.

We just got off the Encore on Sunday and here are a few observations/experiences:

1. The wine lists throughout the ship no longer had any indicators of what bottles were included in the plus package.  On our past cruises, all the lists that either indicated "Premium Plus", had an "*", or were in bold print .  We were simply told that we could get a bottle at dinner (1 for each passenger with the plus package) of ANY wine that was sold by the glass.   We did not ask for a wine and find that it was no on board.  There were three of us dining each night and we typically had 2 bottles.  Only one night did we get three bottles and that was because the waiter brought and opened a White (of the same vineyard) by accident.  He left the extra bottle and we only drank 1/2 of it.  We had other plans so we didn't try to leave with the left overs.

2.  Veuve Champagne was surprisingly listed prominently at Ocean Blue, but not at Le Bistro...We had it at OB without any issue.  Le Bistro was promoting the Pommery Brut Royal ($120 without package but free with the Plus), even though the napkin ties still had the Veuve cards attached.

3.  We had Aqua Pana and San Pellegrino at every dinner and most lunches (even in the Buffet) and easily got that from a couple of random bars to have a bottle in our room each night.

4.  Starbucks was included, but we didn't take as great advantage of it as we should have.  (oh...and this was our fault as DW didn't see the clear words on the Starbucks machine in the buffet that self-service machines ARE NOT INCLUDED IN ANY BEVERAGE PACKAGE...fair warning)

5.  Maltings had a good selection of Whiskey's and Scotches (Whistle Pig Rye, Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve, Macallan Quest, and others)  We also saw these in the Vibe, Observation lounge, Alist Bar, and even the Social for the Comedy Show.

6.  As always, CHECK YOUR ONBOARD ACCOUNT EVERY DAY!  We had two bottles (one at Manhattan Room and one at Ocean Blue) accidently charged to us.  The Manhattan room one was because we had three of us at the table (we all had the Plus package) but they attached the 3rd bottle to my card rather than the single person from the other cabin.  The Ocean Blue one was because they sent a runner to "Onda" to pick up the wine and they ran the card there without realizing it was for our dinner).  I got both corrected at Guest Services without issue.

So, in short, for us the package is still worth it.  We drink a bunch of premium whisky and have a lot of bottled water throughout the cruise.  The biggest disappointment for us was that they were clear that only wines by the glass qualified for the free bottles.  I know there were several bottles from past cruises sill on the wine lists, but we could not select them because our waiters claimed they were no longer included since they were not offered by the glass.  We made the most of it however and still enjoyed all but one bottle we had selected.  

Hope this report provides some recent insight and value to others.

Happy Cruising All!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful!  I am on the Bliss next week and ordered 5 premium plus packages, based on enjoying it when I was on the Prima last month.  can you kindly confirm that Moet and Ice Wine is no lomger included by the glass or bottle?  and that the only things available by the glass or bottle are the items listed?  The red options are comparable to what I recall (I drank mostly the Jadot Pinot, Celeste Tempranillo, Decoy and Silverado Cabs).  But the white options are pitiful, no sauv blanc or sancerre, and we actually dislike Veuve but love Moet.  I wonder if I'm better off cancelling both the free at sea drink package and the premium plus altogether, and just bringing a few bottles we like onboard for the $15.  

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, Sthrngary said:

Well folks, that is NEW.  It seems sharing how to get the most from The Premium Plus Beverage Package and the Haven has been noticed by NCL. I don't know if I should take this as a complement or a criticism.  For those reading this comment and have not read my post before.  I am the Author of the Secrets to the Haven and The Premium Plus Beverage package Op-Ed's.  I am also very rarely negative on this or other social media sites.  I am making an exception today with this post.

I share this fact so I can make this statement.  It is clear that NCL has been attempting to find ways to reduce costs which will increase profits.  The copied quote by @erin21497 that "bottle of wine are limited to one at dinner and has to be consumed at the meal" is a "DEAL BREAKER" for me.  My recent cruise experience not being able to find a decent Chardonnay on our last NCL Cruise was not the experience I have had in the past nor want in the future. I am extremely disappointed with NCL

I know it does not make a difference nor should it to anyone out there.  I am nobody and not famous. I personally will NO longer purchase or recommend the Premium Plus Beverage Program.  As it relates to the NCL Haven, I will NO longer purchase or use the NCL Haven until the prices come down to be competitive.  Therefore I will personally NO longer recommend the NCL Haven.  

I would like to thank NCL for the memories and will hope that as they make a profit to pay their debt that they will recognize we a client have options.  We work hard for our money and are some times fickle. My future cruise will be with other brands including but not limited to NCL sister brands.  

I have everyone Cruises well and Enjoys Every moment.  Life is to short. 

On 1/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, JandC_Cruising said:

Gary, I agree with this particular sentiment.  We were not impressed with the "available" Chardonnay or as they call them "Bold Reds" on the Encore last week.  Additionally, with the change to only offering bottles of wines that are already available by the glass, they have diminished the value of this package on the 'Wine" side of the program.  They used to have a very nice Lois Jadot Pouilly-Fuisse but that was missing and several others I know we've ordered before by bottle were blocked from our choices because they were not offered by the glass.

I know you have mentioned your wife likes to take the bottle back to the room.  While we did not test this "NEW" restriction, last week, I'm suspect if they would really enforce it. If they think they can leave a bottle on one party's table and then re-circulate it to others by the glass if it is left unfinished, there are sanitary issues at play.  it would be like re-serving un-eaten dinner rolls to another table.

We do a lot of whisky drinking and felt well served by the package on that front this past week.  My wife and I drank plenty of Aqua Pana and SIL with us was drinking San Pellegrino like it was going out of style.  Again, all valuable benefits of the program. 

We are definitely going to "test" taking unfinished bottles back to our room in March.  There will be 3 of us dining and we will all have the Plus package, so plan on ordering 3 bottles at each dinner.  There will definitely be left-overs.

Best wishes and happy NY!

I am in agreement--I buy the hghest package available to have a premium all inclusive experience, not to "get my money's worth".  I will be in the Bliss Haven so am curious to see if that differentiates any aspect of the experience, but I was thinking of cruising more often in regular balconies with the Vibe, Spa and Premium Plus passes.  

I only took one bottle of Moet with me last month, but if they are serving bottles that were on a table by the glass, just to cheap out on the few people that enjoyed a glass on their balcony, that is a REAL hygiene problem.  

agree that the few whites on the list are dreadful...I drank the Moet, Jadot Pouilly Fuisse and Ice wine---seems they are all gone...

• Thanks 1

So I have also upgraded my wife and myself on our Escape cruise in 5 weeks. I did this maybe a month ago. But after reading these post on the drink + package plus now all the other cost cuts, no Fillet in Teppanyaki, Surcharge for Fillet at Bistro, Entertainment cuts, and turndown service no longer. Seems NCL has set the standard for cost cutting so I think I will follow their lead and do some cost cutting myself, by canceling my Drink + service and saving $470. Thank you for the lesson NCL.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cruiseingbug said:

So I have also upgraded my wife and myself on our Escape cruise in 5 weeks. I did this maybe a month ago. But after reading these post on the drink + package plus now all the other cost cuts, no Fillet in Teppanyaki, Surcharge for Fillet at Bistro, Entertainment cuts, and turndown service no longer. Seems NCL has set the standard for cost cutting so I think I will follow their lead and do some cost cutting myself, by canceling my Drink + service and saving $470. Thank you for the lesson NCL.

This is the true value of well researched conversations on CC. Really helps people identify where value is … and isn’t. Happy cruising!

• Like 5

Hang on- I’m still confused. Is the “any drink available by the glass is included” rule still valid or not?

We don’t mind searching for the better bottles which usually can be found somewhere on the ship, as long as they don’t somehow downgrade this general rule. And if Veuve is back by the bottle also- we’re sold and as heavy boilers will definitely get our money’s worth. Believe it or not but 20+ drinks a day is easy for us 😉

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

WHOAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Y'all feel like existing the next morning?? 

1-2 mimosas for breakfast …

1 Mid morning frozen cocktail in the sun …

2 beers at lunch …

1 Mid afternoon frozen cocktail …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

2-3 glasses of wine during 1.5 - 2 hour dinner …

1 cocktail during a show …

2-3 drinks bar crawling with friends. 

That is a day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

Hang on- I’m still confused. Is the “any drink available by the glass is included” rule still valid or not?

We don’t mind searching for the better bottles which usually can be found somewhere on the ship, as long as they don’t somehow downgrade this general rule. And if Veuve is back by the bottle also- we’re sold and as heavy boilers will definitely get our money’s worth. Believe it or not but 20+ drinks a day is easy for us 😉

Yes, except for Coravin and "experiences" (tasting flights, etc), everything by the glass is included. That includes as many glasses of Veuve as you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

2 beers at lunch …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

That is a day. 

I would be a little less than this, but as long as I have my "pace car" (i.e. glass water in between each drink), I would be fine.  Except of course for having to using the facilities lot 😛 

• Haha 2

I can't believe I'm a lightweight...what have my 30's done to me? I used to be able to pull down 20 shots in a night. Trust me, some nights I should have died...but my body's strong! 

Now, five drinks and I call it a day. And those five drinks might be spread out from around 11 AM - 9 PM. Bedtime is by 10 PM, after all. What a downer I am.

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I can't believe I'm a lightweight...what have my 30's done to me? I used to be able to pull down 20 shots in a night. Trust me, some nights I should have died...but my body's strong! 

Now, five drinks and I call it a day. And those five drinks might be spread out from around 11 AM - 9 PM. Bedtime is by 10 PM, after all. What a downer I am.

When you get to your 40s you realize you’re practically dead and you do whatever you want. Stay up late one day, in bed by 9 the next. Have 8 drinks one day, sip a glass of boxed wine (with ice in it) the next. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sailorusvi said:

I would be a little less than this, but as long as I have my "pace car" (i.e. glass water in between each drink), I would be fine.  Except of course for having to using the facilities lot 😛 

And with the Premium PLUS package, you can have an included bottle of Aqua Panna between each drink!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

2 beers at lunch …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

That is a day. 

Nice mellow day…probably more later for me, depending on how the craps tables are going. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

2 beers at lunch …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

That is a day. 

Wow...you have a liver of steel!  😁

And I thought I "got my money's worth"...but you just took it to another level..haha.  

• Haha 2

2 beers at lunch …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

That is a day. 

Those that fail to plan, plan to fail.

This is effective time management. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

When you get to your 40s you realize you’re practically dead and you do whatever you want. Stay up late one day, in bed by 9 the next. Have 8 drinks one day, sip a glass of boxed wine (with ice in it) the next. 

I'm seriously so glad it gets better! Honestly, sipping boxed wine with ice actually sounds kind of refreshing. I'm sure it's gross, but it sounds really, really great! 

3 hours ago, palpieha said:

And with the Premium PLUS package, you can have an included bottle of Aqua Panna between each drink!

Hahaha ok, maybe I need the Plus to get all the included water. I'm so glad I have this community to help me get through how much of a lightweight I currently am. 

2 beers at lunch …

1 pre-dinner cocktail …

That is a day. 

That’s pretty much it! As long as there’s unlimited glasses of Veuve, it’s worth for us. Actually- we find that the hangovers are BETTER when you only drink top shelf beverages on the plus package, at least that’s what we tell ourselves 😉

Our day looks quite similar:

Mimosa or Bloody Mary before breakfast (depending on the night before)

Big Starbucks 

Glass or two of Veuve at breakfast itself

1 or 2 frozen slushies by the pool, extra shot of rum on top, please 

Bottle of Veuve with lunch (used to be possible- if not, then we get it by the glass)

A beer or two

Nap for two or so hours

1 or 2 glasses of champagne or a cocktail pre dinner

1 bottle of Veuve followed by a couple of reds by the glass with dinner 

Shots/Cocktails/whatever in the evening 

Finishing off with two or three shots of Scottish Single Malt 

Sleep

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sydneyberlin said:

That’s pretty much it! As long as there’s unlimited glasses of Veuve, it’s worth for us. Actually- we find that the hangovers are BETTER when you only drink top shelf beverages on the plus package, at least that’s what we tell ourselves 😉

Our day looks quite similar:

Mimosa or Bloody Mary before breakfast (depending on the night before)

Big Starbucks 

Glass or two of Veuve at breakfast itself

1 or 2 frozen slushies by the pool, extra shot of rum on top, please 

Bottle of Veuve with lunch (used to be possible- if not, then we get it by the glass)

A beer or two

Nap for two or so hours

1 or 2 glasses of champagne or a cocktail pre dinner

1 bottle of Veuve followed by a couple of reds by the glass with dinner 

Shots/Cocktails/whatever in the evening 

Finishing off with two or three shots of Scottish Single Malt 

Sleep

Nice..so i take it you like Veuve...eh?  🤣

• Haha 2