Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

53 minutes ago, sfred said:

Here's a webcam for an already-seen port.  I've cropped out the data/time banner.  One of the port vehicles is just covering the ship's name on the stern, so bonus points for guessting the ship between QE/QV.

image.thumb.png.4b3d722454ae977bdff4534be780c309.png

I'll just make the observation that this image is relatively recent.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfred said:

Here's a webcam for an already-seen port.  I've cropped out the data/time banner.  One of the port vehicles is just covering the ship's name on the stern, so bonus points for guessting the ship between QE/QV.

image.thumb.png.4b3d722454ae977bdff4534be780c309.png

I would say Queen Elizabeth at Port Chalmers, Dunedin NZ.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NE John said:

Opening bid - Tortola BVI. 

While we wait for @sogne to confirm your identification, I'll add that it looks like a successful opening bid to me. The photo is suggestive of Road Town, Tortola. And yesterday while I was attempting to find itineraries for Mein Schiff 1, I came across this post on the BVI Tourist Board facebook page.

"BVI Tourist Board
January 31, 2022

The TUI Cruises - Mein Schiff 1 and Queen Mary 2 cruise ship guests are visiting with us today!"

We know from @sogne's posting history he was on board the QM2 cruise that visited Road Town, Tortola on January 31, 2022. So I'll add that as my guess for the date of the photo.

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

While we wait for @sogne to confirm your identification, I'll add that it looks like a successful opening bid to me. The photo is suggestive of Road Town, Tortola. And yesterday while I was attempting to find itineraries for Mein Schiff 1, I came across this post on the BVI Tourist Board facebook page.

"BVI Tourist Board
January 31, 2022

The TUI Cruises - Mein Schiff 1 and Queen Mary 2 cruise ship guests are visiting with us today!"

We know from @sogne's posting history he was on board the QM2 cruise that visited Road Town, Tortola on January 31, 2022. So I'll add that as my guess for the date of the photo.

All correct as usual

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It looks like La Rochelle, but does Cunard call there?

QE called at La Rochelle on July 26, 2018. QM2 was supposed to call there on July 18, 2009 but that call was changed to Le Verdon. La Rochelle was a frequent call for QE2.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lanky Lad said:

It is and I was there on QV, I think in 2019.

Ah, yes, I missed a call by QV in my previous reply. I do have QV listed as calling at La Rochelle on April 10, 2018. Might that have been your cruise, @Lanky Lad? That was a 7-night itinerary from Southampton with scheduled calls at La Rochelle, Bilbao, Gijon and St Peter Port.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Ah, yes, I missed a call by QV in my previous reply. I do have QV listed as calling at La Rochelle on April 10, 2018. Might that have been your cruise, @Lanky Lad? That was a 7-night itinerary from Southampton with scheduled calls at La Rochelle, Bilbao, Gijon and St Peter Port.

Yes that's it. I was a year out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

It looks like La Rochelle

The three towers of La Rochelle (Saint Nicholas, Lantern, and Chain) which guard the port entrance have a rich history, dating from 1384.  A chain extending from Saint Nicolas to Chain was used to stop ships from entering the harbour.  Presumably there were no barriers to @Lanky Lad's QV port call in 2018.

May I have my first go at WITW please>? 

There is much history surrounding the chap in the statue.
If you look very close you can just see the Cunard ship...an extra point if you can name her.

DSC_0537.thumb.jpg.0824229889dcee8800264cc523a15c85.jpg

Edited by rog747
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rog747 said:

If you look very close you can just see the Cunard ship...an extra point if you can name her.

That would be the statue of Charles I of Austria, in the Monte gardens of Funchal, Madeira.  Both QE and QV have been there this year, QV a bit more recently, so I'll guess QV.  In your photo, the ship seems to be more to the left side of the Funchal pier, whereas QE was further to the right when we were there on 14 September.

image.thumb.png.6d8af1d6265a5db783f62c6198801384.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

A Twin Otter?

No. It's only a single prop.

Reverse lookups suggest it might be a Cessna 208 or 400. DHL seem to have operated both in the region.

Edit: We were looking forward to a very nice lunch.

Edited by D&N

11 hours ago, rog747 said:

DSC_0537.thumb.jpg.0824229889dcee8800264cc523a15c85.jpg

When I enlarge this photo to try to identify the ship, the front profile of the superstructure seems more suggestive of QM2 than QE or QV. That profile looks to me to be more vertical compared to QE and QV where that profile would be slanted closer to a 45 degree angle. Also, there are artifacts suggestive of bridge wings near the top of the front profile whereas the bridge wings on QE and QV are a bit lower. For those reasons, I'm going to guess that's QM2 in this photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bluemarble said:

When I enlarge this photo to try to identify the ship, the front profile of the superstructure seems more suggestive of QM2 than QE or QV. That profile looks to me to be more vertical compared to QE and QV where that profile would be slanted closer to a 45 degree angle. Also, there are artifacts suggestive of bridge wings near the top of the front profile whereas the bridge wings on QE and QV are a bit lower. For those reasons, I'm going to guess that's QM2 in this photo.

You know, the more I look at @rog747's photo of Funchal, I wonder if we are actually looking at the aft of the ship. Whenever I watch webcams of Funchal, the ships dock with their bows to the left, ready to head straight out to sea on departure. And that's what I thought I was seeing in that photo. But that doesn't mean that's how the ships always dock at Funchal. Of course if that's actually the aft of the ship in that photo, that rules out QM2.

We know from his posting history that @rog747 has been to Funchal on both QM2 and QE so that didn't help me narrow it down between those two ships. I'm looking forward to learning which ship we are looking at in that photo.

• Like 1