Where in the world ?

Host Hattie

32 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Here's a bit different kind of "Where in the World?" puzzle. This is a QE bridge webcam image. I've blurred out the month and day from this image but left the rest visible. One detail to note is that the time shown here is one hour behind the actual local time at this location.

Of course another detail you'll notice right away is that you can't actually see any port here. That's because this image was captured a few hours after QE departed her previous port. What I'm looking for here is just the name of the country of QE's previous port based on the clues in this image.

A bonus point is available if you can also name QE's previous port from this image. I think there's enough information here to allow you to determine that port if you have access to QE's past itineraries.

image.png.ddefbdd9d27b62f3960f32238a1b233c.png

Midnight Sun => Norway?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Midnight Sun => Norway?

Correct. That webcam image shows the midnight sun a few hours after QE left a port in Norway. I won't name that port quite yet in case someone would like to pinpoint that port from QE's past itineraries using the remaining clues in that image.

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Correct. That webcam image shows the midnight sun a few hours after QE left a port in Norway. I won't name that port quite yet in case someone would like to pinpoint that port from QE's past itineraries using the remaining clues in that image.

The only port noth of the Arctic Circle that I see for QE in 2012 is Tromso on 27th June.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colin_Cameron said:

The only port noth of the Arctic Circle that I see for QE in 2012 is Tromso on 27th June.

That's the correct port. I also see Ny-Ålesund, Spitsbergen a couple days later on 29th June 2012 as a possibility. But that call at Ny-Ålesund was on a Friday. The call at Tromsø was on a Wednesday. That was my reasoning for leaving "Wed" on that webcam image to be able to distinguish between those two ports.

On 9/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, carlmm said:

One more tender port.

DSC06262.JPG

On 10/12/2020 at 5:51 PM, carlmm said:

This is a photo of the first place.

DSC06267 (2).JPG

And two more pictures. The first one of the same island as the two photos above, into which we tendered.

The second one shows the island I went that day to the beach.

DSC06269 (2).JPG

DSC06271 (3).JPG

These photographs might explain why none of the current Cunard ships calls here - they carry just far too many people.

Edited by carlmm

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Here's the QM2 funnel passing under a bridge but it's not the bridge we see most often in views like this. Which port is this?

image.thumb.png.524329311ff7b2aa85d30e02e2b3d1ce.png

The bridge looks very much like the one we passed under (not on Cunard, though) leaving Bergen, Norway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I did find one other photo to contribute - not a new port for this thread, unfortunately, and possibly a bit obvious. We were not sailing QE on this trip, but happened to be in the city at the same time.

image.thumb.png.140e982ef94bb896eb654747351fceee.png

This one looks like Lisbon, Portugal.

36 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

This one looks like Lisbon, Portugal.

As I said, perhaps a bit obvious. Yes, Lisbon at the time they were building the new cruise terminal (construction site on the right side of the photo). Haven't been back there since, so I hope the project is a bit further along by now.

4 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

As I said, perhaps a bit obvious. Yes, Lisbon at the time they were building the new cruise terminal (construction site on the right side of the photo). Haven't been back there since, so I hope the project is a bit further along by now.

Yeah, the only thing that made me question that being Lisbon at first is recent photos show a lot more of the new terminal building and associated structures at the pier.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 4:04 PM, sogne said:

correct one of several projects we have seem develop over the years others being new bridge in Cadiz and new WC stadium in St Petersburg 

this is a sail by homeward bound after a well visited port and passage

bnm.jpg

a clue: seen from another angle its geological shape would be obvious so much so that it gives its name to a well known geological structure

1 hour ago, sogne said:

I think this is still unidentified it is Hvar Croatia the captain on this cruise was Croatian

I always learn a lot from this forum and today is no exception. I had no idea QE had a Croatian captain. Now that I know the answer I am able to find Captain Luko Vojvoda from Dubrovnik. Was he the captain on your voyage?

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I always learn a lot from this forum and today is no exception. I had no idea QE had a Croatian captain. Now that I know the answer I am able to find Captain Luko Vojvoda from Dubrovnik. Was he the captain on your voyage?

he was came over from PO Arcadia temporarily as a result of Capt Philpot retirement and Cap-t Hashmi going to QM2

He went back 2 Arcadia and was  on board 4 my daughter's Baltic cruise last June 

On 10/16/2020 at 8:40 AM, bluemarble said:

A repeat port but a different view showing some of the surrounding area outside the port while the captain is waiting on the windy conditions to see if it will be safe to dock.

image.thumb.png.863cb78e2a6dcd6fd1ec0e12f026360e.png

Here's another photo of this port which should be easier to identify. This shows some of the town and the distinctive shape of the hillside above it.

image.thumb.png.df64faf2d8e64a7f52434fdce6a0ece8.png

On 10/14/2020 at 7:56 PM, carlmm said:

And two more pictures. The first one of the same island as the two photos above, into which we tendered.

The second one shows the island I went that day to the beach.

DSC06269 (2).JPG

DSC06271 (3).JPG

These photographs might explain why none of the current Cunard ships calls here - they carry just far too many people.

Maybe we should come back to this on February 3rd.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, bluemarble said:

Here's another photo of this port which should be easier to identify. This shows some of the town and the distinctive shape of the hillside above it.

image.thumb.png.df64faf2d8e64a7f52434fdce6a0ece8.png

Here's the pilot boat that met us once the captain determined we would be unable to dock safely at this port and we had to give it a miss. This may not tell you specifically which port this is since this pilot boat isn't there now, but it will indicate which country this is and narrow down the possibilities considerably.

image.png.027187a1be23cac4c64078fcd4fb37fd.png

Edited by bluemarble