They're having a laugh

cockneyjock

12 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

The oasis class is my fav class of ships. Love central park and have a central park view room booked for next aug with all the family

As a matter of interest, isn't it very noisy?

We like a balcony cabin so we can sit out and watch the sea in peace and quiet, at all times of the day and night. Can't imagine that we would get much peace on a balcony  overlooking Central Park.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 3:23 PM, AndyMichelle said:

I used to live near there in Shepperton. 

It's even better now it is 'Staines on Thames'...😊

They have a statue of a roll of lino in the city centre? 

Thrilling place😊

Andy 

Only just spotted this post Andy .

Not to be outdone Rotherham council had some scrap metal and planted it in 

the middle of a roundabout . They tell us it's "Ears Of Corn" :classic_unsure:

Our council really spoil us :classic_wacko::classic_unsure:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4345188,-1.3808123,3a,75y,8.5h,98.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQHx37DSv1qRNR_6WF9dgpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you about Iona's interiors. From the few rather dull artist's impressions so far released, things can only get better surely...

Maybe I’m in the minority but I really like the look of the few Iona photos we’ve seen so far. The cabins look fresh and airy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As a matter of interest, isn't it very noisy?

We like a balcony cabin so we can sit out and watch the sea in peace and quiet, at all times of the day and night. Can't imagine that we would get much peace on a balcony  overlooking Central Park.

No it is peaceful on Central Park.

There is a lot of flowers and vegetation with bird sounds.

3 speciality restaurants with night time outdoor seating(Chops Grill,150 Central Park and Jamie's)and Park Cafe open during the day until 6pm.

There is night time live music.

When we were on Harmony it was a solo singer from Gerry and the Pacemakers singing their old classics.

There is a little bar called Trellis Bar with outside seating.

There was only 1 shop at the entrance to the park.

Royal Promenade is where all the shops are.

Edited by grapau27

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looks like a typical US shopping mall. Not my idea of cruising I'm afraid

This is Central Park our favourite area on the ship and is full of plants,a bar,3 speciality restaurants and a daytime cafe.

There are lots of indoor balconies overlooking the park.

Royal Promenade is where all the shops are.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you about Iona's interiors. From the few rather dull artist's impressions so far released, things can only get better surely...

Maybe I’m in the minority but I really like the look of the few Iona photos we’ve seen so far. The cabins look fresh and airy.

As the person who suggested they were dull, I will say that the cabins look fine. Imho however, the Grand Atrium looks anything but grand - more like a bog standard shopping mall food court. Maybe I will change my mind when they release actual photos or videos...

• Like 2

As the person who suggested they were dull, I will say that the cabins look fine. Imho however, the Grand Atrium looks anything but grand - more like a bog standard shopping mall food court. Maybe I will change my mind when they release actual photos or videos...

I agree about the atrium photo, I think that does look bland. I hope we get more photos soon.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kalos said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4345188,-1.3808123,3a,75y,8.5h,98.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQHx37DSv1qRNR_6WF9dgpw!2e0!7i13312!8i66

A bit of one-upmanship here kalos. Outside the bus station we have a very tall plinth with the statue of a young boy on top. I've no idea what it means, but it looks for all the world like he's peeing on everyone as they walk past.

Avril

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

A bit of one-upmanship here kalos. Outside the bus station we have a very tall plinth with the statue of a young boy on top. I've no idea what it means, but it looks for all the world like he's peeing on everyone as they walk past.

Avril

I've no idea what it means either Avril .

I was a aware of a peeing boy of Brussels but not the peeing boy of Barnsley ? :classic_unsure:

Only advice I can give is don't look up if it's raining ,just to be on safe side .:classic_wink:

A true fact ...:classic_smile:  Did you know them girders on the roundabout ,were voted 

the best in the UK !  

Who and what weirdo's vote for these things ?:classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

By the UK Roundabout Appreciation Society  (Honest I'm not making this up ! :classic_biggrin: )

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

A young Arthur Scargill?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kalos said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4345188,-1.3808123,3a,75y,8.5h,98.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQHx37DSv1qRNR_6WF9dgpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In Woking we have a Martian. 👽

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kalos said:

I've no idea what it means either Avril .

I was a aware of a peeing boy of Brussels but not the peeing boy of Barnsley ? :classic_unsure:

Only advice I can give is don't look up if it's raining ,just to be on safe side .:classic_wink:

A true fact ...:classic_smile:  Did you know them girders on the roundabout ,were voted 

the best in the UK !  

Who and what weirdo's vote for these things ?:classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

By the UK Roundabout Appreciation Society  (Honest I'm not making this up ! :classic_biggrin: )

The roundabout at Monk Bretton has a statue of an old fashioned glass blower making a bottle. Quite nice really, and appropriate for this area.

Avril

• Like 2

On 8/25/2020 at 6:43 PM, AnnieC said:

I used to go up to West Yorkshire from London a lot with my mother when my grandmother was still living there, but we went by train on 'Mallard'. I fear this is horribly ageing... And I remember the M1 opening, and watched the M25 being built from my office window...

Oh dear!

That brought back a memory.  I was born in Nottingham.  We lived on a road that lead directly on to the M1.  In the first few years of its existence- probably late 60s, parents used to take us for trips to eat at the service station ‘restaurants’.  My Dad was a chef too! Can’t imagine many wanting to do that now.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

That brought back a memory.  I was born in Nottingham.  We lived on a road that lead directly on to the M1.  In the first few years of its existence- probably late 60s, parents used to take us for trips to eat at the service station ‘restaurants’.  My Dad was a chef too! Can’t imagine many wanting to do that now.  

Me too.  I was in Birmingham in the 60s for a while, and eating at one of the new motorway service areas was a big thing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not at all - they were the ‘in’ place to eat at the time.  Seems bizarre now.

Around 1974 , I would drive up to Barnsdale Bar north of Doncaster services.

You could not miss it as they had a glass bridge you could cross over  to get

to the southbound services restaurant/motel owned by Trusthouse Forte.

It had a brilliant all you can eat buffet including meats ,not cheap but very 

good quality meals . Also for a more cheap and cheerful meal I would go 

to the brilliant Red House transport cafe further down the road.

Sadly neither exists now and to be fair the A1 was just a road not a motorway 

back then . A1(M) J38 Red House Interchange got it's name from that cafe 

that everyone would go into back then . Those were the days :classic_smile:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I live in a 10 minute walk of a motorway service station back entrance, and very occasionally we've walked round for a cup of coffee 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Not at all - they were the ‘in’ place to eat at the time.  Seems bizarre now.

Woolley Edge motorway sevices was a very popular place in the 70's for bikers to meet up to have coffee and show off their bikes. How times change. I can't get out of them fast enough now.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Woolley Edge motorway services was a very popular place in the 70's for bikers to meet up to have coffee and show off their bikes. How times change. I can't get out of them fast enough now.

Avril

You slow down on that motorbike Avril ! :classic_ohmy: :classic_wink:

• Haha 1