Celebrity ship anchored off Fort Lauderdale

marienbad

22 minutes ago, marienbad said:

Looks like an Edge class ship.

just sitting out there. Wonder what it’s doing here but hope it is a harbinger of good things to come.

Yes, it's the Edge. She could be coming in to pick up supplies or fuel.

On 9/1/2020 at 8:30 AM, oneputt18 said:

Edge is the mother ship to the Silhouette,  Equinox, Summit and Reflection. She picks up supplies for all of them. They are all moored just west of Coco Cay.

Where did you get that information?

How do the do ship to ship transfer of goods at sea? It is not a naval operation with the equipment and training to do that.

5 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Where did you get that information?

How do the do ship to ship transfer of goods at sea? It is not a naval operation with the equipment and training to do that.

Lot's of articles about Edge being the mother ship, quick google search will turn up several for you to check out.  With the onboard tender boats Edge already has and some manual labor, I'd expect they can transfer supplies between ships without too much trouble.  It's not like they will need fork lifts and palleted items to take care of the limited crew still on board.

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, garyl62 said:

Lot's of articles about Edge being the mother ship, quick google search will turn up several for you to check out.  With the onboard tender boats Edge already has and some manual labor, I'd expect they can transfer supplies between ships without too much trouble.  It's not like they will need fork lifts and palleted items to take care of the limited crew still on board.

I guess the magic carpet has some utility after all!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:58 AM, garyl62 said:

But for fuel, then need to dock...and can resupply then.

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

But for fuel, then need to dock...and can resupply then.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

At the rate that they are currently burning fuel, I imagine that they need fresh food supplies more frequently than they need to bunker.

Absolutely.  Just idling  to run equipment while at anchor takes a lot less fuel than running around the Caribbean at 24 knots. I'd bet they could stay out for more than a month if they just sat at anchor.  Dairy and produce will go bad long before fuel tanks run dry.  The Summit did come in to Miami about a week ago so I'm sure there are times they will need to come in for some reason, but it sounds like they are trying to keep them all out of port as much as possible.

• Like 1