Did MSC experience an increase in bookings as a result of Grandiosa’s relaunch? Price jumped

Tapi

I booked a cruise on the Seaside for 2021 about two weeks ago before Grandiosa relaunched. I did so because of the insanely low fare, in addition to all the perks included.

Yesterday I looked again, and the same cruise has more than TRIPLED in price and the perks are gone. Has anybody else noticed the same on cruises that you booked before Grandiosa relaunched? I’m wondering if MSC experienced a crazy increase in bookings in the last two weeks, which would explain such an increase in price. 

I can't say it was due to Grandiosa sailing but prices for US based sailings are definitely up.  I lost my Seaside bookings in February, 2021 since I did not want to be switched to Meraviglia.  I had a YC interior for $2500 per week.  When MSC initially rescheduled to PC a YC interior had gone up to $2900 per week and now with an even less interesting itinerary it is $3900.  Inventory is slowly disappearing so I guess people are desperate to cruise.

For the past month or so under the Two for One promotion a Bella balcony was a decent $1200 for the week, right now with only the Escape to Sea promotion it is about $1900.  I suspect when MSC gets the Healthcare Heroes going it will be back to $1200.  Hopefully they won't limit the savings to balcony and below like they did with the Two for One promo.

5 hours ago, Até said:

I had a YC interior for $2500 per week.  When MSC initially rescheduled to PC a YC interior had gone up to $2900 per week and now with an even less interesting itinerary it is $3900.  Inventory is slowly disappearing so I guess people are desperate to cruise.

If MSC is able to get those prices, it's good for the company.  For this cruiser, however, such increases makes me feel that my cruising days are over, at least for the near future.  

I suspect the days of YC being a deal are gone...

Before covid there were price increases from recent years

and the days of folks posting about the bargain rates for YC are gone

Just like the changed in the bev package and whats stocked in YC...I suspect we will see more changes. 

Hopefully the way they handled YC minibar on Grandiosa will not migrate to other ships.

19 hours ago, gavenalex said:

Not only has the base fares increased, but the port fees increased 50% on my November 1st Seaside sailing.

I wondered if it was a glitch when I booked. I did notice just the day after I booked that the port fees had jumped 50%. When I booked they were $56 and the following day they were $110.  

5 hours ago, Fogfog said:

I suspect the days of YC being a deal are gone...

Before covid there were price increases from recent years

and the days of folks posting about the bargain rates for YC are gone

Just like the changed in the bev package and whats stocked in YC...I suspect we will see more changes. 

Hopefully the way they handled YC minibar on Grandiosa will not migrate to other ships.

Agreed.

The YC prices have been incrementally rising for the past 24 months or so.  It appears the newer the ship and the time of year can bring the biggest increases. 

We've cruised MSC YC quite a bit (by our standards) the past 3 or so years, have noticed it, as well as experiencing clear reductions in YC amenities and offerings (but from levels that were 'way over the top to just ''really, really good). 

We're still on board though, just finally got a B2B 'same stateroom for the 12/4 and 12/11/21 Seashore cruises out of MIA.  Roughly $400 PP more per week than our last Meraviglia YC booking.  I do suspect that C-19 has cost considerations that are 'in play also going forward.

We really like the 'basic concept and designs of the YC (we also prefer Seaside class design, but the Meraviglia class YC is not too far behind); we like it the best in the 'club within a club cruise ship market and, again, the service has been consistently unbelievable (very satisfied).

• Like 1

We were really satisfied on our last two sailings.

Have a B2B early 2021 fingers crossed.

(though msc made a mess of the reservations and its been a long haul for the TA to fix it. Still not quite there)

I do suspect that some cutbacks were due to the social media posts of the abuses of lux services/items.

Those folks filling their luggage with snacks from the minibar for example.

We met a couple and the first night he bragged how he loved mini bottles and would put them in his suitcase. To which I replied-- People do that-- seriously? Like can you not afford the cruise (or not afford your liquor at home?)

We loved the ship within a ship concept and the service from curb-checkin to YC lounge at embarkation ... all the way to disembarkation.

The only flaw in the system is that Luggage/customs was a madhouse and there was no Global Entry nor digital facial recognition. That would have been better. Hopefully that is remedied at the Miami terminals. We have used both with other lines and it is brilliant

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I do suspect that some cutbacks were due to the social media posts of the abuses of lux services/items.

Those folks filling their luggage with snacks from the minibar for example.

We met a couple and the first night he bragged how he loved mini bottles and would put them in his suitcase. To which I replied-- People do that-- seriously? Like can you not afford the cruise (or not afford your liquor at home?)

People who abuse the perks and cause such perks to be altered for the rest of us irritate me regardless of what cruise line it is.  I'd not be surprised that those same folks would be the ones whining the loudest when such alterations take place.

5 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

We loved the ship within a ship concept and the service from curb-checkin to YC lounge at embarkation ... all the way to disembarkation.

The only flaw in the system is that Luggage/customs was a madhouse

My attempt to use curbside check in for YC was impossible due to the heavy traffic that I encountered (I drove to the Port; won't make that mistake again.)  Thus, my luggage was never delivered to my suite and my Butler had to retrieve it.  

Disembarkation was a madhouse, as you said.  Two lines of guests in a narrow corridor in the terminal with those lines stretching "forever" and moving at a snail's pace.  It made no difference if one was a YC guest.  I required some assistance in disembarkation and the ground staff for MSC as well as the Porter were excellent.  They were even willing to get my luggage and me to my car in the parking garage.  (I rewarded their efforts well.)

On 9/1/2020 at 5:21 PM, rkacruiser said:

People who abuse the perks and cause such perks to be altered for the rest of us irritate me regardless of what cruise line it is.  I'd not be surprised that those same folks would be the ones whining the loudest when such alterations take place.

My attempt to use curbside check in for YC was impossible due to the heavy traffic that I encountered (I drove to the Port; won't make that mistake again.)  Thus, my luggage was never delivered to my suite and my Butler had to retrieve it.  

Disembarkation was a madhouse, as you said.  Two lines of guests in a narrow corridor in the terminal with those lines stretching "forever" and moving at a snail's pace.  It made no difference if one was a YC guest.  I required some assistance in disembarkation and the ground staff for MSC as well as the Porter were excellent.  They were even willing to get my luggage and me to my car in the parking garage.  (I rewarded their efforts well.)

Same thoughts/experience here.

Disembarkation doesn't need to be like that--- it is the one area that needs work

We have Global Entry and it is brilliant.

And facial recognition is so so quick. 

Other cruise lines have separate disembarkation/immigration for US pax ... vs other passport holders... (like the  reverse in EU etc)  Even that would help