Preparing for a COLD winter without a break

image.png.f708d9bcee3d42f0bb9d94008c7c3059.png

This will be our first winter in a couple of decades since we haven't enjoyed a 5-6 week escape, most recently on longer cruises.

As compensation I treated myself to a genuine, made in Canada, Canadian down filled Parka with the most unfashionable name Moose Knuckles.  What it lacks in style it more than makes up for in warmth.  

I chose fire engine red rather than more sophisticated black.  I haven't owned a coat like this since days of yard duties in frigid temperatures.  

The clerk commented that I wasn't the first person preparing for an uninterrupted stay in our great white north.  I suspect I'm not alone among fellow cruisers.

I wonder if winter weight masks will soon appear in stores!

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
Spelling
  • Like 3

Nice coat!

I recall, now, that we went straight from winter to summer here a few months ago.  I wonder if we'll do the reverse soon.  I did have to wear my heaviest fleece yesterday.

I'm still hopeful of being able to cruise in the foreseeable future.  I just bought new white pants and a great halter top, along with a wool jacket for home use.

41 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I recall, now, that we went straight from winter to summer here a few months ago.  I wonder if we'll do the reverse soon.  I did have to wear my heaviest fleece yesterday.

I'm still hopeful of being able to cruise in the foreseeable future.  I just bought new white pants and a great halter top, along with a wool jacket for home use.

You're more optimistic than I.  We've wiped 2021 off our cruising plans and will only book winter 2022 when we have a clearer picture of any risks we're willing to take.

We've been promised a mild autumn and are sure hoping such a long range forecast is correct.  

That's quite the seasonal range of your recent purchases.  You'll be 'covered' for all eventualities.

Ruth

• Like 1

I love the jacket; I bought a new one like that last year that is just a bit shorter than yours, and it was delightfully warm.  I expect it will get a lot of use this year, as we won't be taking a mid-January or mid-February or mid-March cruise to anywhere except our driveway to shovel it off.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ger_77 said:

I expect it will get a lot of use this year, as we won't be taking a mid-January or mid-February or mid-March cruise to anywhere except our driveway to shovel it off.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

We're now live in a condo so mine won't be near a shovel.  And with car seat heaters, the longer length is a luxury.

But we northerners in both Canada and USA need to be comfortable when we 'cruise' thru' snow drifts.

Ruth

• Like 2

I have a coat like that one - bought it 4 years ago.  Turned out to be not all that practical for me - too hard to shovel in, to big to stuff in my cubbie at work.  The only time I use it now is when I have to take the bus to work in a snowstorm.    I bought a new red Patagonia light down jacket last Spring.  I'm delegating my old one (9 years old) to the work/camping/keep in car work.  

If I had a Sugar Daddy, there's a nice Canada Goose parka that I'd love to have. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

If I had a Sugar Daddy, there's a nice Canada Goose parka that I'd love to have. 😉

Th is Moose Knuckles brand is supposedly the same as the Canada Goose ones, but the hood is detachable which is an option I prefer.

Since we had THREE cruises cancelled I .easily justified the expense.

Stay warm until we can cruise again,

Ruth

• Like 1

It's funny, I feel the same about summer ending as you probably do about winter ending. It is so unpleasant where I live in summer -- heat, humidity -- that I rarely go outdoors for more than a few minutes at a time. You really get stir crazy sitting inside for 6 months....sigh. 

At least I don't have to shovel snow or worry about ice, but we do have massive thunderstorms and tornados to worry about here. :classic_ohmy:

Anyway, I'm excited about cooler weather on the way. Maybe some of my energy will come back. (I know a lot of that energy loss is simply due to boredom.....)