New Zealand Border

casofilia

Thank you Casofilia for this update!  Still unclear what it might mean for cruises during your next summer season...  Being an optimist, they did mention a couple times that in the later phases "the need for self-isolation would be continually reviewed."  So maybe by late 2022 or early 2023, cruises between Australia and NZ might be back on?

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, casofilia said:

Here is the latest update direct from "the horse's mouth"

COVID Update.docx 16.06 kB · 5 downloads

It is only applicable to those coming from Australia.   Expect another in March for the rest of the world.

Mike

Thanks for the updates from your side of the world. We cruised on the Jewel from Japan to Seattle with you a few years ago and you had so much info about Japan that we found really useful. We are going from ( hopefully ) Vancouver to Sydney on a B2B2B in September with a few New Zealand stops and a week or two in Australia so all your first hand knowledge from there is appreciated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, casofilia said:

Here is the latest update direct from "the horse's mouth"

COVID Update.docx 16.06 kB · 11 downloads

It is only applicable to those coming from Australia.   Expect another in March for the rest of the world.

Mike

Having to isolate for 7 days is still not an attractive idea for tourists.

Good for people who live in New Zealand and returning home.

@caribill

Having to isolate for 7 days is still not an attractive idea for tourists.

That is a massive understatement i would have thought.   I have not heard nor read just how or where a tourist would be able to "ISOLATE".

It would be easy for us as we would just come home from Auckland Airport in our car, which our daughter had filled with groceries, and stay indoors for the 7 days.   We did it for 14 days just like that after returning in 2020 after the ill-fated Spirit cruise.

I am sure that the NZ Government hasn't even started to consider how to deal with 3000+ passengers and crew on a cruise ship.

I will surprised to see any cruise ships in NZ waters in 2022.

This appeared in an email from CC; not NZ I know but the situation over the ditch.

And as the second anniversary of Australia's cruise ship ban rapidly approaches, and more and more lines push back their restart dates -- P&O Cruises Australia just announced that no ship will sail now before June -- there's a question mark over whether the 2022 season will even happen.

Royal Caribbean gave up hoping Australia's cruise ship ban would be lifted in October when it confirmed Ovation of the Seas 2021/22 season would be cancelled.

Carnival AU meanwhile also gave up waiting and redeployed the popular Carnival Spirit back to the U.S. (after almost 10 years Down Under), as well as Carnival Splendor, citing "uncertainty in Australia" as to when cruises will resume.

Edited by casofilia

Thank you, again, Mike, for keeping us informed. 

I'm feeling better and better about postponing visits to your part of the world until 2023. we have some great stuff planned, just not as great as our 2020 trip would have been. that would have included 3 weeks in camper vans in your beautiful country. My cousins are dual US/NZ citizens, and their mom lives in Auckland. I've been wanting to visit there since my uncle married their mom in 1983. 40 years is a long wait, but I think it will be worth it. 

The latest change from our government.

We do well from it:-

Only confirmed cases and their household contacts are required to isolate.

People who test positive for COVID-19 and those in their households need to isolate for 10 days but can now self-release after day 10, provided any testing and symptoms requirements are met. 

If you are told you are a contact, you do not need to isolate, but should monitor for any symptoms. Close contacts should get a test if symptoms develop.

Those coming into the country do not:-

Border opens on Monday for self-isolating travellers from Australia 

From Monday 28 February, New Zealanders and other eligible travellers from Australia can enter the country and self-isolate, without staying in managed isolation.

Two weeks after this, New Zealanders and other eligible travellers from other parts of the world will be able to come to New Zealand, under the same arrangements. Step 3 of the Government's plan to open the borders to other visa holders starts on 13 April.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another update; things are starting to open up.

New Zealand ends self-isolation for travellers, Kiwis able to come home sooner

The Government is removing the self-isolation requirements for vaccinated travellers from Australia to New Zealand and enabling Kiwis to come here from the rest of the world sooner.

Starting from 11:59pm Wednesday 2 March, fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residents and other eligible travellers from Australia will no longer have to self-isolate for seven days when they arrive. 

Step 2 is being brought forward. From 11:59pm on Friday 4 March, fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residents, and eligible travellers from the rest of the world will no longer have to self-isolate on arrival.

This means those travellers will be able to enter the country and immediately connect with family and friends, and enjoy all New Zealand has to offer. 

We are able to make these changes because we have a highly vaccinated population and good public health restrictions through the COVID-19 Protection Framework.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, casofilia said:

The Government is removing the self-isolation requirements for vaccinated travellers from Australia to New Zealand and enabling Kiwis to come here from the rest of the world sooner.

Starting from 11:59pm Wednesday 2 March, fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residents and other eligible travellers from Australia will no longer have to self-isolate for seven days when they arrive. 

Step 2 is being brought forward. From 11:59pm on Friday 4 March, fully vaccinated New Zealand citizens, residents, and eligible travellers from the rest of the world will no longer have to self-isolate on arrival.

This means those travellers will be able to enter the country and immediately connect with family and friends, and enjoy all New Zealand has to offer. 

We are able to make these changes because we have a highly vaccinated population and good public health restrictions through the COVID-19 Protection Framework.

Thank you for the update!  We are still waiting to hear if our daughter will be given a Visa to study in Auckland starting in July.  Fingers crossed that she will be in the first 5000 given.  There is a large contingent of Canadian youth hoping to enter the teachers college program there.  Once that is confirmed, we will start our plans to visit her!

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

Thank you as this is very exciting news!  Does "eligible travelers" mean anyone who is vaccinated?    

@pamesacruisin

Does "eligible travelers" mean anyone who is vaccinated?    

The NZ government is NOT good at defining their decisions.   I would imagine they mean doiuble vaccinated with a pre-departure negative Covid test.   With a visa where necessary,

Edited by casofilia

@WhiteRockMike

Welcome, come and enjoy our country.   If I can help in any way drop me an email and I will see what I can do.

For everyone.

While the government has a 5 point plan for opening the border to various people and various places there has been NO mention of when or how cruise ships will fit into the scheme of things.

I have emailed my MP to get her to try to find out what the situation will be and when.   Will keep you informed.

To add to post 139; at present anyone arriving having had a negative PRC test before departure will still have to have at least one RAT on arrival and possibly another later.

• Like 2

I decided to see what the position was at the present moment regarding the future of cruising in NZ waters so I asked my local MP.

Here is the answer I received.

I have been able to find out the following information pertaining to your query:

-          At this moment there is no date identified for when cruise ships can visit New Zealand

-          The Maritime Border Order which has paused the arrival of international cruise ships since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic was last reviewed and updated on 15 February 2022

-          The ban on cruise ships continues, and the Order will be reviewed again, or revoked, according to Section 16 of the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act 2020

At this stage the cruise industry (including Cruise Liner International Association (CLIA) and the New Zealand Cruise Association (NZCA) is in early discussions with the New Zealand Government through a range of government agencies including Health, but further work will be needed before specific details are established.

There are hopes by those in the cruise ship business, that cruise ships would begin arriving at the end of the calendar year – in the 2023 financial year.

Not the news anyone was looking forward to.   I hope that there is movement before then.

Mike

Lots of changes at the border in the last few days but today there was a "no change in the cruise ship situation".

Have just heard om our NEWS that Australia will allow cruise ships from April.   See https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/australia-lift-entry-ban-cruise-ships-after-two-years-2022-03-15/

I imagine that the cruise lines will now be PUSHING for entry to NZ too.

Edited by casofilia
  • Thanks 1

Here is a couple of portions from the official release from our government

Then from 11.59pm, Sunday 1 May, fully vaccinated travellers from visa-waiver countries, such as the large tourist markets of the UK, US, Japan, Germany, Korea and Singapore, will also be able to travel to New Zealand by air.   (my bolding)

Testing remains critical

Travellers will not need to isolate on arrival, but they will still be required to have had a pre-departure test before travelling to New Zealand. That test can be a PCR test within 48 hours of departure, or supervised loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP), rapid antigen test (RAT), or a PCR test.

When they arrive in New Zealand, travellers will need to have 2 rapid antigen tests (RATs) on day 0/1 and on day 5/6.

Travellers will receive a pack of RATs, with instructions, and will need to report the results of their RAT tests.  If anyone returns a positive result they will need report it and isolate for 7 days and get a PCR test.

For information about pre-departure tests see

https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/travel-to-new-zealand/pre-departure-tests-to-enter-new-zealand/#pre-departure-testing-requirements-from-28-february

• Thanks 1