New Zealand Border

casofilia

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

According to what was said on the News this evening New Zealand is now "thinking" about opening specific "Managed Isolation" accommodation.   It may be purpose built or existing hotels may be bought solely for MI use.   

The reason being was that Managed Isolation is likely to be required for "long-term" use.

Look at https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/07/covid-19-government-looking-into-long-term-options-for-managed-isolation-facilities.html

Mike

Obviously cruise ships will not be going to New Zealand anytime soon. Even land travel has to many risks at least for overseas visitors.

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

According to what was said on the News this evening New Zealand is now "thinking" about opening specific "Managed Isolation" accommodation.   It may be purpose built or existing hotels may be bought solely for MI use.   

The reason being was that Managed Isolation is likely to be required for "long-term" use.

Look at https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2021/07/covid-19-government-looking-into-long-term-options-for-managed-isolation-facilities.html

Mike

Thanks.

Looks good for those that must come into NZ for work or other critical piurposes, but expensive for tourists who would have to pay for the experience themselves if all are required to go though this.

Hello,

We are planning on cruising Australia/New Zealand to tie in with our daughter attending teacher's college in Auckland.  I'm pretty sure our cruise will not be happening but are you hearing anything new about opening the border to international students?  The information I am able to obtain here is limited.  She is to begin in February of 2022.  TIA.

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

Mike

Thanks. That article was interesting, amusing, depressing, and hopeful, all at once. 
I truly appreciate you keeping us updated, Mike. 

@DebbieActon

There has been talk here that the border may well be opened to International Students for the start of the 2022 education year.

However the conditions and numbers have not been decided yet.   The way things are I would imagine there may well be three requirements

Certificated Vaccination

Pre-departure Covid Test

Managed Isolation

The latter may well be for 14 days at the participant's cost; about NZD5500.   Look at https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-managed-isolation/charges-for-managed-isolation/

HTH

Mike

43 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@DebbieActon

There has been talk here that the border may well be opened to International Students for the start of the 2022 education year.

However the conditions and numbers have not been decided yet.   The way things are I would imagine there may well be three requirements

Certificated Vaccination

Pre-departure Covid Test

Managed Isolation

The latter may well be for 14 days at the participant's cost; about NZD5500.   Look at https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-managed-isolation/charges-for-managed-isolation/

HTH

Mike

Thank you Mike, the first one is already covered, the second one is expected and the third one will be the difficult one to swallow.  Hopefully, things evolve in a positive fashion and the vaccines continue to prove themselves and a prolonged isolation is not required.  Thank you very much for your response!

• 2 weeks later...

The NZ Covid minister made a statement today that was repeated on TV that implied that people crossing the boder who have been fully vaccinated will not be able to bypass 2 weeks of Managed Isolation for the rest of this year and probably for the early part of next year.

• Thanks 1

I have just been listening to the latest announcement, on radio, from our PM.

The main points are:-

Anyone travelling to New Zealand will require a pre-departure test showing you are Covid-Free.   You will also have to go into Managed Isolation, that you have booked, on arrival.

The Australia-New Zealand Bubble has been suspended for 8 (EIGHT) weeks so there is NO Isolation Free travel from Australia.

New Zealand is setting up special flights to allow New Zealanders in Australia to return for the next 7 days.

For people now in NSW who want to return will require, under this offer, will require a pre-departure test and go into 14 days Managed Isolation.

For those in Victoria they will require the test and then have another test on day 3 after they return and must go into self-isolation till the result is known and negative..

For those in other states they will be allowed in without any isolation with the pre-test.

After the 7 day period anyone returning from Australia will have to have a pre-test BUT will have to go in Managed Isolation for 14 days and have to book the Managed Isolation.

=======================

I would expect that there will be NO chance of any decision regarding Cruise ships till the bubble is re-introduced and the earliest that that might happen would be after 17th September.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were originally booked for an extensive trip around NZ and then another week in Australia back in January 2021. That obviously got cancelled, and now we're trying to plan something for 2023 but even that far out I'm still not sure if/when we'll ever get to go. We've been working with a TA over there in NZ, and the ballpark prices have also gone up significantly since our original booking for this year. (about 4K for the flights, and another 4K for the hotels, car rentals, and day trips we were planning - ouch)

9 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

We were originally booked for an extensive trip around NZ and then another week in Australia back in January 2021. That obviously got cancelled, and now we're trying to plan something for 2023 but even that far out I'm still not sure if/when we'll ever get to go. We've been working with a TA over there in NZ, and the ballpark prices have also gone up significantly since our original booking for this year. (about 4K for the flights, and another 4K for the hotels, car rentals, and day trips we were planning - ouch)

I don't think it's wise to book hotels so far out at this time.  I don't think the hotels know what the situation will be and the prices are speculative.  I really don't think you will get the best deals at the moment.

45 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I don't think it's wise to book hotels so far out at this time.  I don't think the hotels know what the situation will be and the prices are speculative.  I really don't think you will get the best deals at the moment.

Not locking down anything yet, as it's physically impossible at the moment anyway for that far out. Just going over options with the company we were using before to see what is still in business, what is not, what needs to be swapped for something else completely, etc. Won't be committing to anything until flights are available as that is ultimately what decides on our dates for hotels.

• 3 weeks later...

We are no further forward with the position of the opening of the New Zealand border.

Today we had a governmental announcement that there will be an announcement in the near future announcing that an announcement might be made in the not to far distant future to announce when an announcement might be made about a possible change to the border situation with regard to announcing that there may be three separate classes of entry possibilities depending on the countries visited!

Don't expect to visit till 2022 at the very earliest!!!

What me a cynic!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, casofilia said:

Latest

Auckland and Coromandel at Level 4 for 7 days, and the rest of New Zealand for 3 days, initially.

Confirmation if it is Delta will not occur till tomorrow morning.

The source is still unknown.

Mike

Yea.  Just read that you guys have gone into total lock down again.  

This morning it has been confirmed as Delta and that there are 4 new cases in the community all close connections to the initial case whose source has still not been confirmed.

One of the new cases is a fully vaccinated worker at the Auckland Hospital.

• Like 1

A further update.

We now have 31 cases of Covid Delta and there are 3 of them in Wellington.   The whole country is in lockdown till 11.59pm next Tuesday.

Don't expect to be visiting us for a long time yet!!!   Or us to be visiting you.

44 minutes ago, casofilia said:

A further update.

We now have 31 cases of Covid Delta and there are 3 of them in Wellington.   The whole country is in lockdown till 11.59pm next Tuesday.

Don't expect to be visiting us for a long time yet!!!   Or us to be visiting you.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike, but grateful that you have a government that takes keeping its citizens as safe as possible. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They have made changes to the method of getting a place in Managed Isolation so it is even more difficult to get a place.   

The government have even suggested that New Zealanders who are abroad do not try to arrange to return for a Christmas holiday!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hello Again

When (& If) the New Border opens again people will only be able to fly in or out if the have had 2 Covid vaccinations according to both Air New Zealand and the Government.   Even talk of doing the same for domestic flights.

Still no comments about cruise ships.

Mike

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest news about our borders

• Fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel to NZ from Australia without staying in MIQ from 11.59pm Sunday, 16 January 2022
  • Fully vaccinated Kiwis and other eligible travellers can travel to NZ from all other countries from 11.59pm Sunday, 13 February 2022
  • All fully vaccinated individuals will be able to travel to NZ from 30 April 2022 onwards, with the re-opening staged over time 
  • The Very High-Risk classification for Indonesia, Fiji, India, Pakistan and Brazil will be removed early next month

BUT here are the conditions.

The border will open in three steps and all travellers not required to go into MIQ will still require:

• a negative pre-departure test
  • proof of being fully vaccinated
  • a passenger declaration about travel history
  • a day 0/1 test on arrival
  • a requirement to self-isolate for seven days, and
  • a final negative test before entering the community

If you want the full statement

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/reconnecting-new-zealand-–-next-steps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...