I miss cruising

Waju

11 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree, many the cruise lines that survived would have very much smaller fleets.

Just read the Royal Caribbean Group  protocols for restarting cruises from Singapore.

A lot of very interesting reading including a maximum of 50% capacity of passengers.

Graham.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:56 PM, Sundowners said:

but with this resurgence of infections, your prediction of a Mid year restart is realistic. But, I have my doubts that it'll get started in 2021 at all.

Rob

We really miss cruising but it seems increasingly likely to me that 2021 will be much like 2020 the way that Covid bubbles up so quickly in certain environments.

We had an Eastern Med cruise booked on Arcadia that should have departed in just over 2 weeks time, we moved the booking to an Iceland cruise next June but the balance for that needs to be paid in Feb / March. At the moment the low deposit is only a couple of hundred quid but I would be reluctant to pay the balance if the virus is still a common issue, which is almost certain.

I will probably look to move the booking again into mid / late 2022 when the cruises are released.

• Like 1

We should have been on Arcadia with you

I was so looking forward to the Greek ports

Ho hum

It’s such a bad situation.  There’s no sign of things improving in the short term the future of cruising must be in the balance in the long term

Personally, I have grieved and mourned but have accepted the likelihood that I may never cruise again.  Others feel differently and look forward to cruising in the future. Who knows?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We really miss cruising but it seems increasingly likely to me that 2021 will be much like 2020 the way that Covid bubbles up so quickly in certain environments.

We had an Eastern Med cruise booked on Arcadia that should have departed in just over 2 weeks time, we moved the booking to an Iceland cruise next June but the balance for that needs to be paid in Feb / March. At the moment the low deposit is only a couple of hundred quid but I would be reluctant to pay the balance if the virus is still a common issue, which is almost certain.

I will probably look to move the booking again into mid / late 2022 when the cruises are released.

I feel the same. I’ve got a cruise in March which I’m hoping they’ll cancel, otherwise I’ll just forego the small deposit.

I’ve got two ‘big’ cruises  next October and  the following January which  I may move to something ‘smaller’ in 2022. However, I may wait to see what happens when the new protocols are published to see if there’s any chance of just cancelling, as it won’t be the cruise experience I booked in 2019.

I think 2021 is going to be similar to 2020. I won’t be booking any brand new cruises - just need to deal with those already booked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

We should have been on Arcadia with you

I was so looking forward to the Greek ports

Ho hum

It’s such a bad situation.  There’s no sign of things improving in the short term the future of cruising must be in the balance in the long term

Personally, I have grieved and mourned but have accepted the likelihood that I may never cruise again.  Others feel differently and look forward to cruising in the future. Who knows?

I hope I’ll go on a cruise again one day. But I wouldn’t like to say when it’ll be, not in the foreseeable future anyway.

Up until a few weeks ago, I thought there might be some short cruises on a couple of ships by the spring. But I’m not so sure now. We’ve been reminded once again how fast the situation can change, and cruising is so complex, with so many elements to get arranged before sailing can re-start.

i feel sorry for us the passengers and the cruiselines. If cruising doesn’t start again, then the threat to the cruise lines will become existential. Very worrying times 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I feel the same. I’ve got a cruise in March which I’m hoping they’ll cancel, otherwise I’ll just forego the small deposit.

I’ve got two ‘big’ cruises  next October and  the following January which  I may move to something ‘smaller’ in 2022. However, I may wait to see what happens when the new protocols are published to see if there’s any chance of just cancelling, as it won’t be the cruise experience I booked in 2019.

I think 2021 is going to be similar to 2020. I won’t be booking any brand new cruises - just need to deal with those already booked.

We also have a long 28 day cruise booked on QM2 next September trans-Atlantic and eastern USA and Canada, which is timed to celebrate my wifes 65th birthday. I'm hoping that if an effective vaccine is rolled out during the first half of 2021 that it will go ahead, the balance for that will be due June / July next year so again a decision will need to be taken at that time. 

We also need to find better Travel Insurance, our normally very good Nationwide Flex Plus insurance doesn't cover us for Covid on holidays booked whilst Foreign Office advised against travel (cruising or destination) which both of next years cruises were, even if the advice is rescinded at the time that we travel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We also have a long 28 day cruise booked on QM2 next September trans-Atlantic and eastern USA and Canada, which is timed to celebrate my wifes 65th birthday. I'm hoping that if an effective vaccine is rolled out during the first half of 2021 that it will go ahead, the balance for that will be due June / July next year so again a decision will need to be taken at that time. 

We also need to find better Travel Insurance, our normally very good Nationwide Flex Plus insurance doesn't cover us for Covid on holidays booked whilst Foreign Office advised against travel (cruising or destination) which both of next years cruises were, even if the advice is rescinded at the time that we travel!

Nationwide Flex Plus travel insurance will cover you for medical expenses related to Covid as long as you're not travelling against your doctors advice and you're not travelling to an area that the FCO has advised against travelling to. The only thing they won't cover is cancellation costs etc. This is the same with most travel insurance companies. Many people seem to be getting confused over this and think that they won't cover anything covid related. 

25 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Nationwide Flex Plus travel insurance will cover you for medical expenses related to Covid as long as you're not travelling against your doctors advice and you're not travelling to an area that the FCO has advised against travelling to. The only thing they won't cover is cancellation costs etc. This is the same with most travel insurance companies. Many people seem to be getting confused over this and think that they won't cover anything covid related. 

It seems a bit confusing, below are 3 statements from the Nationwide website the first 2 mentions FCO travel advice at the time of booking and the second only mentions FCO at the time of travel.

If the country you are booked to travel to gets removed from the safe list, you’ll be covered if you want to cancel it. As long as when you booked your trip or bought your insurance (whichever was later) the FCO wasn't advising against travel to your destination.

Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip.

As long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and are not travelling to an area where the FCO has advised against all travel, then you will be covered for emergency medical expenses abroad including reasonable and necessary additional travel expenses that you may incur as a result of becoming ill.

13 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

It seems a bit confusing, below are 3 statements from the Nationwide website the first 2 mentions FCO travel advice at the time of booking and the second only mentions FCO at the time of travel.

If the country you are booked to travel to gets removed from the safe list, you’ll be covered if you want to cancel it. As long as when you booked your trip or bought your insurance (whichever was later) the FCO wasn't advising against travel to your destination.

Your travel insurance will provide cover for events relating to COVID-19, such as emergency medical expenses abroad, cancelling or cutting short a trip, as long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and the FCO were not advising against travel both when you booked your trip and when you depart on that trip.

As long as you are not travelling against doctor’s advice and are not travelling to an area where the FCO has advised against all travel, then you will be covered for emergency medical expenses abroad including reasonable and necessary additional travel expenses that you may incur as a result of becoming ill.

Totally agree - the way they've worded it is really confusing. The first FAQ on their website should really only mention cancellation. But the way they've done it makes the second FAQ contradict the first. I've been assured that we are covered for medical costs should we catch Covid whilst on holiday, as long as its not against FCO/Dr's advice at time of travel. 

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Totally agree - the way they've worded it is really confusing. The first FAQ on their website should really only mention cancellation. But the way they've done it makes the second FAQ contradict the first. I've been assured that we are covered for medical costs should we catch Covid whilst on holiday, as long as its not against FCO/Dr's advice at time of travel. 

OK thanks for clarifying, did you contact Nationwide Insurance directly?