MDR VS SPECIALTY DINING

On 9/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Cannavaro said:

Hello All

Going on the Harmony of the Seas on 11/1, Symphony of the Seas 12/12, and Allure of the Seas 4/2/21... Got some really good deals during the lockdown LOL

Whether or not they go as scheduled, I will go on these sailings sooner or later. Thoughts on MDR VS Specialty Dining? They are all oasis class so curious on all of your thoughts on when to pay vs not to pay as I wouldn't mind trying everything all has to offer. 3 night dining packaging is hovering around $99 per person and $179 for the seven days. I'm only gold member with an oceanview balcony on all three so I won't get access to Coastal Kitchen. I'm really intrigued by the Samba Brazilian Steakhouse on the Allure but Im not even sure if that requires an extra fee. I'm quite the foodie but I need to balance the budget between the three. Interested on how  you all would play this out. Thank you ahead of time!

We have sailed on the Harmony, Symphony, and Allure in the past 1 1/2 years. So,,,,  we don’t buy into the “spend extra money even though you have already paid for your dinners” nickel and dining. We alway book MyTime Dining so that we can eat when it fits or schedule (since the Oasis class ships have entertainment scheduled at all times). And so that we can eat at our own pace and not be rushed or held back by others on our table. We can always find something on the MDR menus to enjoy (and sometimes two) 🙂

Save your money. Spend it on something more than a fancy-named restaurant by some celebrity chef. 

• Like 1

We are foodies, so on a 7 day cruise . . .

We always have formal nights in the main dining room - The week's best two menus

We eat dinner (at lunch time) ashore twice - If in Europe (we have seen most of the sights we are interested in), usually a Tripadvisor top rated one or Michelin star lunch offer

We have a three night dining package for the other days - Hooked is our favourite, followed by 150 Central Park

Overall, the main dining room food quality has deteriorated over the years substantially, but it is still good enough for a week's dining. Especially if you have friendly, fun waiters

On the other hand, the night time buffet has improved immeasurably over the years as more families have been attracted (part of the reason we eat ashore, so we can have a decent quality light snack at dinner time)

Having said all that, we have parked up at Playmakers, got sozzled and stuffed our faces on burgers and nachos, and been in bed by 7pm

12 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Same waiters ,the all have to rotate at some stage Same as bar staff .There is a perception that tips are higher in specialty restaurants. Do you tip the same in the MDR ? Try it and I bet you will get all the Whole carrot cakes you desire. Me at Chops after mushroom soup ,big fillet with those chill shrimp/prawns and that warm bread ,I'm done , to eat a whole carrot cake?

It took 2 couples 3 nights to eat the cake.  I have seen our Specialty waiters at other venues for lunch, but never for dinner.  So not sure they rotate once they are dinner waiters at specialty.  From what they have told us is they only are moved at night if they are not busy.  I highly doubt I would have gotten a whole cake at the MDR.  They don’t have enough time to get us drinks or rolls, let alone arrange for a whole cake. 

As far as tips,  I tip after service not before.  Yes I tip the specialty waiters after ever meal and when we go to the MDR ,it is at the end of the cruise.  We used to enjoy the MDR, but now the passenger to waiter ratio is so high in the MDR, service and the personal touch are long gone.  

we dont do the specialty dining, no need to .....we tip our waiter and assit waiter every night right after we dine....It is truly amazing how good the food and service is for the entire cruise...same way with the cabin steward. He or she gets a nice tip the first time we see them and then every evening they get another one.....Amazing how good the service and cleanliness are for the entire cruise.... and did i forget, a smile doesn't hurt either. I sold cruises years ago and that is my #1 tip......Be safe everyone, we wish you well.

We sailed on the Radiance a few years ago, and found the MDR packed.  We did a B2B, and on the second leg, we ended up eating Specialty Dining 5 out of 7 nights.  Specialty has a fixed menu.  We did like the Brazilian Steak House, but they had it in a place where we could only reach it via an outer deck.  Though, they allowed us through a crew area via the Windjammer.  Now the issue was using the restroom, we had to use one accessible from the outer deck, in the rain.  Our waiter did a good job w/ the umbrella and keeping me on my feet.

We like Giovannes, Chops, Johnny Rockets, and used to like Isumi's, but we're not into sushi, so we'll have to check the menu first.  I may go there for the Tempura.  Though I'm not sure Royal Caribbean can handle a dinner sized portion of an appetizer.

4 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We sailed on the Radiance a few years ago, and found the MDR packed.  We did a B2B, and on the second leg, we ended up eating Specialty Dining 5 out of 7 nights.  Specialty has a fixed menu.  We did like the Brazilian Steak House, but they had it in a place where we could only reach it via an outer deck.  Though, they allowed us through a crew area via the Windjammer.  Now the issue was using the restroom, we had to use one accessible from the outer deck, in the rain.  Our waiter did a good job w/ the umbrella and keeping me on my feet.

We like Giovannes, Chops, Johnny Rockets, and used to like Isumi's, but we're not into sushi, so we'll have to check the menu first.  I may go there for the Tempura.  Though I'm not sure Royal Caribbean can handle a dinner sized portion of an appetizer.

I love the hot rocks in Izumi, couple of items besides sushi on menu. Will eat there a few times on next cruise.