Cruiseline only excursions? No wandering off in port by yourself

fstuff1

We did a lift and shift of our Feb 2021 to 2022. We just couldn't think of not cruising so we booked a shorter cruise in a lower category for Feb 2021. We'll play it by ear but if they sail we will be aboard unless something new happens. Responsible cruisers constantly wash their hands to avoid illness. We always use hand sanitizer when entering a dining room or if we pass an auto spritz unit. We'll wear masks if needed.

We've always worried about catching something on a plane. Once our bags are in the overhead bin we don't touch anything. Our custom is to use antibacterial wipes on the buckle of the seat belt, the little knob that opens the tray, the tray, arm rests & channel selectors. Then we take a fresh wipe for our hands.

• Like 1

No dog in this discussion just a heads up for those wanting to go forward on mid 2021 cruises.  There is currently a 20% off sale on some Celebrity shore excursions.  I found the discount on an excursion I had been watching on an April 2021 TA and booked it with OBC.  This might give some people a  back up plan for cruises they have booked.  I know it is not a bubble but it might be a fact on future cruises.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SHIP TRAVELER said:

No dog in this discussion just a heads up for those wanting to go forward on mid 2021 cruises.  There is currently a 20% off sale on some Celebrity shore excursions.  I found the discount on an excursion I had been watching on an April 2021 TA and booked it with OBC.  This might give some people a  back up plan for cruises they have booked.  I know it is not a bubble but it might be a fact on future cruises.

Didn’t think about that- if you cancel is it 100% refundable??

Very interesting post.  We have experienced both Celebrity sponsored excursions as well as private tours.  On our Italy/Dalmation Coast cruise in November 2019, we did 4 private tours (with a company that specializes in this) as well as 2 Celebrity tours.  The private tours were just us and another couple we traveled with.  IMHO, we truly enjoyed the private tours more, as the guides spoke excellent English, had all of our questions answered, knew their history, got away from the ship crowds and found some real gems of places off the beaten path, etc.  We also were directed to restaurants where locals eat. All this while traveling in the comfort of the guides' personal vehicles. The Celebrity tours were "good", and we had no real complaints, just not quite the experience of the private tours. Both of them required us to have headsets, and the mastery of English was not nearly as good. That said, they were still fun, but...

To the OP's question....will the requirement be to take a Celebrity excursion keep us from sailing?  We are scheduled for an August 2021 Baltic cruise.  At this time, we plan to move forward with it even if the requirement is that only Celebrity excursions can be done.  That is, if cruising is able to safely resume.  Of course, we certainly hope that cruising can be done safely by then. 

Dale

On 10/17/2020 at 8:25 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

I just checked my booking and not one excursion is on sale.  No worries, though.  I was looking into one that I can easily do on my own at another time ... for about half the price!  

• 3 weeks later...

I understand why they are doing this, but it would definitely keep us from cruising. We primarily cruise in Europe.  We love the freedom of exploring on our own, stopping where and when we want to people watch and have a beer, and using private tour operators to see more for less. Hopefully, this will not be needed by next September or we will be canceling our cruise.