Age of Holland America Cruise Critic Members

JBCall

What is your age (physical or mental)?  

396 members have voted

1. 1. What is your age (physical or mental)?

• 19 and under
    • 20-29
    • 30-39
    • 40-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70-79
    • 80 and up

Dsawyer - Not to highjack this thread but it's interesting you mention the Roll Call threads for HAL. Last year at this time DW and I were 5 or so weeks out from our Celebrity cruise on the Galaxy. The Roll Call thread for that cruise had 50-60 active posters, literally thousands of posts, and the Sail Away had 40+ people at it. (Interestingly folks from that cruise still post from time to time on the Roll Call just to check in and see how folks are doing....nearly a year later!) Here we are a week out from the Volendam cruise and I think maybe 8-10 people have indicated they'll be on the ship for the 21 February sailing and nobody has expressed any interest in a Sail Away. I'm really not complaining, it's just an observation. Wife and I are very much looking forward to quietly enjoying the ship's departure from Ft Lauderdale and may just do that on our verandah this time. :)

Dsawyer, I agree the Roll Call board is very poor on HAL. The Roll Calls on Celebrity are always better, but I attribute that mostly to Celebrity Connections where the cruiseline gets so involved.

On our Celebrity Summit cruise last year we had an amazing Roll Call and Celebrity gave us not one but two parties over the 2-week period. These were attended by several ship's personnel and John, the CD, joined several of us for lunch one day.

I think HAL has recently started to improve on this and hopefully they'll start a similar program to Celebrity's.

But my point about the age group here on this poll is that many HAL passengers, being a bit older, don't come on message boards even if they do use the computer for many other things. So the make-up of HAL passengers on the ships would probably not reflect the numbers we see on this poll, but would probably tend to be a bit older.

So this poll gives us a good idea of the age average for people visiting this board, but not necessarily the demographic on the cruise. Clear as mud, right???:o

Heather - I think that's perfectly clear and I agree fully. We cruise, off and on, with another 5 couples who are all pretty much in their 50's to early 60's. (Not including my DW and one other spouse who would take some offense to being grouped with the 50's. :o ) Out of the 6 couples only 2 couples post or even visit Cruise Critic and even that (33%) is probably a pretty high percentage against the general cruising public. Heck, I had to introduce my TA to CC and she's been a cruise-only TA for 10+ years.

Very clear to me that Hal passengers probaly reflect an older group than those that post here.

However, to your point about "Celebrity Connections" - not real sure that is the reason for all the large roll call threads. Princess Cruises which we cruise on often is NOT associated with CruiseCritic and we have had some extremely large roll call threads. In fact, I have never sailed on a Princess cruise with only 3 roll call posters.

[quote name='Randyk47']Dsawyer - Not to highjack this thread but it's interesting you mention the Roll Call threads for HAL. Last year at this time DW and I were 5 or so weeks out from our Celebrity cruise on the Galaxy. The Roll Call thread for that cruise had 50-60 active posters, literally thousands of posts, and the Sail Away had 40+ people at it. (Interestingly folks from that cruise still post from time to time on the Roll Call just to check in and see how folks are doing....nearly a year later!) Here we are a week out from the Volendam cruise and I think maybe 8-10 people have indicated they'll be on the ship for the 21 February sailing and nobody has expressed any interest in a Sail Away. I'm really not complaining, it's just an observation. Wife and I are very much looking forward to quietly enjoying the ship's departure from Ft Lauderdale and may just do that on our verandah this time. :)[/QUOTE]

I must sadly say that I agree. We cruised on the Summit a few yrs. ago and also had a great group of people going before we sailed. Last yr. we cruised the Volendam, this year the Oosterdam just a few wks. ago and the responses were around 10 to 15 posters. We had a great cruise though and we now have a new found love for both of our HAL cruises.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]I voted my age range in the poll, but only because it doesn't identify who posted. There's no way I'm listing my age in public! I was brought up that a lady never gives out her age. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Suffice it to say I'm still looking at 50. Of course, I need a rear-view mirror and a really, really strong pair of spectacles to see it these days! But I can see 50.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm new here -- I'll be cruising HAL Ooosterdam August 26-September 2 with my mother. Mom's 74 and I'm 49. First time cruise for both of us, first time either of us have been to Alaska -- and we're really looking forward to it!

[quote name='JBCall']I know from the responses to earlier threads that there is a variety of thoughts on the average ages of people who cruise with HA. So I thought I would poll everyone to see the average age of everyone who is posting.

So as to not offend anyone: if you do not want to give your actual age put down how young you feel you are. :)[/QUOTE]

I'm 65 but feel and act as if I'm 45.

• 3 months later...

Archived