Everything "Far Eastern Horizons": Hong Kong to Tokyo

Peregrina651

There was a request on the general Viking Board for excursion experiences, as well as a request to post on this thread. So, I'm posting my thoughts on a few of the excursions we took on the April/May Far East and Alaska trip - which includes this voyage Hope it's of some help to others! 🍺🥌

Far Eastern Horizons.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

thank you Curler Rob for taking the time to write this.  We are looking forward to these ports as part of Vancouver to Hong Kong in 467 days 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, deec said:

thank you Curler Rob for taking the time to write this.  We are looking forward to these ports as part of Vancouver to Hong Kong in 467 days 🙂

Integrity compels me to admit that much of the content was cribbed from a journal that my charming spouse keeps on each of our cruises. But I'm a good thief! 🍺🥌

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 12:39 AM, Peregrina651 said:

My son and daughter in law went to Japan pre-pandemic and she is sharing a lot of information with me. They are going back in November and will have even more to report.

This is from her report:

First of all -- temples do a cool thing where they hand paint and red stamp a sheet that you can buy and put in a book called a Goshuinchou. You can buy the book at most temples and they can either paint directly in them or you can buy a pre-drawn sheet and paste it in later to save time. Tip: if you do this, write down the name of the temple so you can keep track of which inscription goes with which location -- it's surprisingly challenging to Google later if you forget. Also, if you have a small unlined notebook, a lot of sites, including train stations, towers, you name it, also have stamps that you can put in the book as a fun commemoration of the location.

This is what she is talking about. (I just hope I remember about this when the time comes)

IMG_0316.thumb.jpg.651905032c5979b7edadd0286d8f7427.jpgIMG_0304.thumb.jpg.09ab219750fe94388a963eb78fd6d9ad.jpgIMG_0303.thumb.jpg.456e2be7c17af1798f1339a030c9f289.jpgIMG_0300.thumb.jpg.2d5bfdb5dd1d5cfc7aad8377ea3ea8de.jpg

More info on the little books. Our Backstreet Guides contact said the book can be purchased at Nezu Shrine (in Tokyo) which will be on our tour with them. Books cost between 1500- 2000 yen and each stamp is between 300 - 500 yen. Cash only. I so love this idea!
Deb

15 hours ago, Hazel52 said:

More info on the little books. Our Backstreet Guides contact said the book can be purchased at Nezu Shrine (in Tokyo) which will be on our tour with them. Books cost between 1500- 2000 yen and each stamp is between 300 - 500 yen. Cash only. I so love this idea!
Deb

I picked up my goshoin book at the Golden Pavilion in Kyoto and was able to get a bunch of stamps from the temples we visited.  There was at least one I missed because the walking tour was continuing on and there was no good way to circle back.  They may also give you a piece of paper that includes the name of the temple and has an explanation of the stamp.  It's a unique memento and will make the trip back to Japan when I return there someday.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Testing memories of those on past cruises for this itinerary. Do you remember anything about the destination menu items? Were they fairly authentic? Hoping to have many meals off ship but just curious about what the culinary team came up with. 
thanks!

On 6/4/2024 at 9:55 AM, deec said:

Hey we're on the same cruise in 2025.  Nice to meet someone who is doing both segments. 

Judy/Brad Seattle WA

Edited by Famsw
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Famsw said:

Hey we're on the same cruise in 2025.  Nice to meet someone who is doing both segments. 

Judy/Brad Seattle WA

Hi Judy and Brad from Seattle!  We lived there almost 30 years (near UW).  Were just up there a few weeks ago visiting family.

We are just doing the Tokyo-Hong Kong portion, so don't hold that against us 🙂

Seriously - wish we could have done the previous segment but had commitments.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Kent and Pam

Paso Robles, CA

Kent, I am hoping you are researching the ports for great opportunities for exploration!  Envy your extra time in Tokyo rather than just a stop for us.  Anxious to do  a few ports in alaska and hoping for relaxing Sea Days although I am prepared for not much outside if weather is stinky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deec said:

Kent, I am hoping you are researching the ports for great opportunities for exploration!  Envy your extra time in Tokyo rather than just a stop for us.  Anxious to do  a few ports in alaska and hoping for relaxing Sea Days although I am prepared for not much outside if weather is stinky.

Thanks, Dee!  Hoping you and Pat are doing well and getting ready for your upcoming cruise.  Yes, I plan to do lots of research for sure!  We hope to go 7-10 days early to Tokyo - see Tokyo as well as take the bullet train a few places (Kyoto, and to the West Coast at Kanazawa).  Then spend a few days in Hong Kong.  (Maybe even fly home via Sydney to see our favorite city again).   Still seems so far away.

• Like 2

The subject of tipping and gift giving can up in our roll call. I totally forgot about this thread so I’m reposting the same information here for completeness.

Gift giving in lieu of tipping in Japan

https://biketourjapan.com/gift-giving-instead-of-tipping-in-japan/#:~:text=As stated before%2C most in,just small crackers or sweets.

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi Judy and Brad from Seattle!  We lived there almost 30 years (near UW).  Were just up there a few weeks ago visiting family.

We are just doing the Tokyo-Hong Kong portion, so don't hold that against us 🙂

Seriously - wish we could have done the previous segment but had commitments.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Kent and Pam

Paso Robles, CA

Thanks Kent and love the Seattle connection!  Your pre/post plans sound wonderful.  Looking forward to meeting you also.  Oh I see you are in Paso Robles-one day we want to try some wine tasting there.  We were just in Temecula and enjoyed the local wines there.

3 hours ago, Famsw said:

Judy/Brad Seattle WA

We are also joining you Judy and Brad, Vancouver to Hong Kong that is😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks, Dee!  Hoping you and Pat are doing well and getting ready for your upcoming cruise.  Yes, I plan to do lots of research for sure!  We hope to go 7-10 days early to Tokyo - see Tokyo as well as take the bullet train a few places (Kyoto, and to the West Coast at Kanazawa).  Then spend a few days in Hong Kong.  (Maybe even fly home via Sydney to see our favorite city again).   Still seems so far away.

I would suggest getting the bullet train (Shinkansen) to Hiroshima too, it’s a fantastic city to visit and also very emotional as you can imagine.

We were lucky enough to have lived in both Hong Kong and Tokyo and loved both locations, Tokyo especially

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, shipboy said:

I would suggest getting the bullet train (Shinkansen) to Hiroshima too, it’s a fantastic city to visit and also very emotional as you can imagine.

We were lucky enough to have lived in both Hong Kong and Tokyo and loved both locations, Tokyo especially

Thanks, I had considered that, but the cruise does stop at Hiroshima.  I guess the thought is we'd see it twice that way.  Still a possibility.

• Like 1