Denali tours.

lindasuej

I wanted to do my trip to Alaska in September  so we could see the northern lights. I also wanted to take the full day tour to Katishna in Denali but I’m worried that the road might close due to weather. Anyone have experience with this? 

The Kantishna Roadhouse and Backcountry Lodge show they will be open through September 12, 2021.  It’s a long bus ride to go out and back in one day.  There are travel packages offered for two night stays at the lodge.  One day to get there, one day to experience the area, and another day back to the park entry area.  We had a 5 day package that is offered by Grayline Alaska that bussed us from Anchorage to Denali to catch a bus to Kantishna, overnight with a hike the next day or fishing if you prefer, and the bus back to the park entrance, an overnight at the park (McKinley Chalet Resort) and we caught the Alaska Railroad back to Anchorage the next day.  All food is provided family style at Kantishna.  We were fortunate to have an unobstructed view of the mountain on a very clear day.  That is extremely unusual.  

Actually, the first night there they did show us a movie about the aurora but I would not expect to see one.  You can also fly in or fly out of Kantishna.  You can also take a park bus out and back in the same day with a lunch provided at Kantishna.  Go on the nps.gov website and choose Denali for more information.   Check out the Kantishna Roadhouse site also.

Edited by oaktreerb

7 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

The Kantishna Roadhouse and Backcountry Lodge show they will be open through September 12, 2021.  It’s a long bus ride to go out and back in one day.  There are travel packages offered for two night stays at the lodge.  One day to get there, one day to experience the area, and another day back to the park entry area.  We had a 5 day package that is offered by Grayline Alaska that bussed us from Anchorage to Denali to catch a bus to Kantishna, overnight with a hike the next day or fishing if you prefer, and the bus back to the park entrance, an overnight at the park (McKinley Chalet Resort) and we caught the Alaska Railroad back to Anchorage the next day.  All food is provided family style at Kantishna.  We were fortunate to have an unobstructed view of the mountain on a very clear day.  That is extremely unusual.  

Actually, the first night there they did show us a movie about the aurora but I would not expect to see one.  You can also fly in or fly out of Kantishna.  You can also take a park bus out and back in the same day with a lunch provided at Kantishna.  Go on the nps.gov website and choose Denali for more information.   Check out the Kantishna Roadhouse site also.

We stayed at the Skyline Lodge - https://www.katair.com/skyline-lodge/faq/#1452689325628-1d0e7932-c77a.  A neat but funky place that we loved but would not appeal to a person who needs amenities.  Also much less costly than the alternative places to stay.

DON

23 hours ago, lindasuej said:

I wanted to do my trip to Alaska in September  so we could see the northern lights. I also wanted to take the full day tour to Katishna in Denali but I’m worried that the road might close due to weather. Anyone have experience with this? 

I believe that Denali has experienced snow every month of the year through out the history of the park.  But regarding road issues the NPS hosts a road lottery (which allows lottery winners to drive their private vehicles on the park road) at the end of the shuttle bus season in September.  We have won the lottery a number of times.  I remember snow delaying folks being able to drive past Teklanika one year.  Park rangers had closed the road due to snow and slick road conditions; the road was opened after an hour or two.  The delay wasn't an issue for us as we were only planning to drive in as far as Eielson Visitor's Center but for folks who had intended to drive to Wonder Lake it was an irritant.

But regarding aurora viewing I wonder of the OP has considered spending several days at the Chena Hot Springs Resort which is located north of Fairbanks.

Agree with Northern Aurora. Spend a few days to give yourself time to experience a clear night to view the aurora. I understand weather can be iffy in September. We're going next December (worst month for clear skies - but lots of dark time for aurora) for two weeks. It's much cheaper than a trip to Iceland or Norway for aurora.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

September in the interior is usually nice, although you are past the fall colors in Denali.  Nights are often below freezing.  Denali isn't the best place to see the lights because it's surrounded by mountains.  Fairbanks is better.