So sad....have to chance my cruise

schattenfell71

Hi from Germany,

first of all I hope that everyone is feeling good and safe.

As you might now I have booked the Norwegian Cruise from Hamburg to Hamburg in July 2021 for my 50th birthday. My wife is working in the health system and due to Corona the vacation times for each person were limited. So we can not go with this cruise.  I hope not not to cancel at all so I have found another cruise which would be very interesting for us (and we all hope that we could travel again worldwide in July 2021).

The Queen Mary 2 will do a Transatlantic trip on our days from New York to Hamburg. I would like to stay at New York before the ship will leave New York so I am interested in booking the "New Yorker or New Yorker Suite Dreams" option by Cunard. 3 days Hotel, flights to New York and the Queen Mary 2 passage.

Has anyone ever booked these "New Yorker" options? Is it worth it?

Thanks again for your help.

Stay safe

Thorsten

2 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Hi from Germany,

As you might now I have booked the Norwegian Cruise from Hamburg to Hamburg in July 2021 for my 50th birthday. My wife is working in the health system and due to Corona the vacation times for each person were limited. So we can not go with this cruise.  I hope not not to cancel at all so I have found another cruise which would be very interesting for us (and we all hope that we could travel again worldwide in July 2021).

The Queen Mary 2 will do a Transatlantic trip on our days from New York to Hamburg. I would like to stay at New York before the ship will leave New York so I am interested in booking the "New Yorker or New Yorker Suite Dreams" option by Cunard. 3 days Hotel, flights to New York and the Queen Mary 2 passage.

Stay safe

Thorsten

Yes it is  a very good trip and they put you in a pretty decent hotel and can even transfer you from airport to hotel and even hotel to ship. And take this as a plus. Since your wife works for health service she will get the upcoming vaccine very quickly and I am I sure you can go privately and get it if it hasn't hit your section of the population by then. The only sticking point in the U.S travel ban which may not be lifted by then. But you can transfer sailings once more if needed I am sure.

From what I've seen you can book the same hotels yourself at a considerable savings to what Cunard charges for two people. Yes, it includes a transfer from the hotel to the ship (and from the airport to the hotel?) but the total cost of those transfers booked independently by taxi is in the order of $100-150. 

I don't concern myself too much about the trip to the ship. The hotel will want to be out of your room by 11:00 AM and a cab or private car at that time of day would get you to Red Hook considerably earlier than the assigned check-in time. You literally have hours before check-in is an issue.

Coming up from Pennsylvania by car or train I've never been tempted by Cunard's hotel offers.

On 10/29/2020 at 4:28 AM, schattenfell71 said:

Hi from Germany,

Stay safe

Thorsten

With a small amount of internet research one can find much better hotel arrangements and self guided tours for considerably less that Cunard offerings. Their hotel packages have always seemed to be way out of sync with reality.

13 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

With a small amount of internet research one can find much better hotel arrangements and self guided tours for considerably less that Cunard offerings. Their hotel packages have always seemed to be way out of sync with reality.

He can also have the experience of a new york city taxi driver who drives like Max Verstappen take him from his hotel to the cruise terminal. 🤣