Fresh Oysters Offered at sea

canoncruiser

On 11/25/2020 at 12:19 PM, exlondoner said:

I believe they die as soon as the membrane attaching them to the shall is severed, so not quite alive. 😀

Yes, not quite. What I just found out is that they are only "killed" by the stomach acid, so I would prefer not to eat raw ones, but everybody should enjoy them the way he prefers.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a March 13, 1986 editorial in the New England Journal of Medicine by Dr. Herbert L. DuPont begging people to not eat raw shellfish.  The Norwalk Virus was a culprit then.  Noro has also been mentioned from raw oysters.  These are the same people asking folks to wear masks these days.   I do remember a Holland America voyage on the Veendam where a pickup-truck load of fresh Prince Edward Island shellfish were brought aboard.  I think they were served cooked but I can't remember.  

WARNINGS ISSUED ON EATING SHELLFISH THAT IS UNCOOKED - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM198603133141109

• 2 weeks later...

Being unable to dine at a restaurant in NYC for the time being, I have time on my hands to explore and lo and behold, I found an RMS Queen Elizabeth dinner menu from 1946 in which ‘Oysters on the Half Shell’ are on offer. Ah long ago and far away!😋

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 6:30 AM, canoncruiser said:

Being unable to dine at a restaurant in NYC for the time being, I have time on my hands to explore and lo and behold, I found an RMS Queen Elizabeth dinner menu from 1946 in which ‘Oysters on the Half Shell’ are on offer. Ah long ago and far away!😋

Hi CC.

I feel for you at the moment.  One of my favourite haunts when on a Queen Mary 2 day visit to New York is lunch in the Oyster Bar restaurant under Grand Central. A veritable  mecca for seafood lovers...

2073254538_HowmanyOystervarieties.jpg.693bd50843c6073bc1ce9dfd3002f903.jpg

2118045797_GrandCentralOysterBarRestaurant.jpg.ee3ec15eb8a7d799dc2c2fef8d36a6b3.jpg

141104550_OysterMedleycopy.jpg.4b14f70954c85a9e849a93450e01fe6e.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:05 AM, Cats2010 said:

Honestly, I never understood what is so delicious about oysters ... sea salt? Can someone explain what I am missing? You swallow something that is still alive.

I used to love them .. UNTIL ... I are some bad ones in Clifden  Co Galway in Ireland ... I had food poisoning for 10 days and I was in a rented flat with only 2 towels .. it was awful and Ive never experience sickness like it ...

11 hours ago, koonard said:

I used to love them .. UNTIL ... I are some bad ones in Clifden  Co Galway in Ireland ... I had food poisoning for 10 days and I was in a rented flat with only 2 towels .. it was awful and Ive never experience sickness like it ...

OMG, but at least YOU are still alive!

On 12/15/2020 at 6:30 AM, canoncruiser said: