I'm glad my cruise got cancelled because....

AndyMichelle

52 minutes ago, Britboys said:

There used to be a Welsh female singer (a sort of 'poor man's Shirley Bassey') who appeared regularly on P&O ships that had a way of dealing with that. She would stop mid-song, ask for the house lights to be put up and interrogate the latecomers as to why they couldn't get here on time...😱

Very classy!!!

Avril

Edited by Adawn47

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

A few times I have vacated a lift and seen people stood at other lifts waiting .

So I hold the door and say " Would you like this one ? " with a cheerful smile .

One of them says " Quick he's got the door for us "

They all get in the lift without as much as a sideways glance towards me .

As the doors close I say loudly " Thanks for holding the door mate ,,, Oh not a problem .. It was a pleasure !"

I often wonder what the lift conversation would be ? :classic_unsure:

Most of the passengers are not like that and are capable of saying "Thankyou  or even a smiley nod " :classic_smile:

I learned my lesson doing that so I don't hold the life but if I am waiting for a lift unless it is a wheelchair I get in the lift and press the door hold button inside the lift until people have got in.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

There used to be a Welsh female singer (a sort of 'poor man's Shirley Bassey') who appeared regularly on P&O ships that had a way of dealing with that. She would stop mid-song, ask for the house lights to be put up and interrogate the latecomers as to why they couldn't get here on time...😱

Her name was Diane Cousins and she was a brilliant entertainer and singer.  Her act was a mixture of comedy and singing and always brought the house down.  As you say she would stop mid-performance and get the house lights up if anyone came in late and equally if they tried to leave mid-performance.  Always hilarious and you certainly learned to get there in good time !

Played many hands of Whist with her in the past as she was a keen card player and I've greatly missed her shows over the past few years.   They don't make 'em like they used to !

Diane-Cousins.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I learned my lesson doing that so I don't hold the life but if I am waiting for a lift unless it is a wheelchair I get in the lift and press the door hold button inside the lift until people have got in.

Just having a chat about this thread with Mrs K , this morning  and one we remember is ..

We are in the lift alone and stood right to the back, the lift stops at a floor and a person enters the lift .

the doors close which they are stood by , Then they blurt out something like .."Level 4 please !"

Looking at mrs kalos and I expectantly  whilst glancing at the lifts control panel.

I usually end up saying " we don't work in here we are on holiday "

This has happened a couple times :classic_unsure::classic_wacko:

Don't get us wrong ..Disabled ,mums with kids etc or we are stood at the side of the panel ,not a problem 

but when they are inches away from the control panel and able bodied ...Come on ! :classic_wacko:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just having a chat about this thread with Mrs K , this morning  and one we remember is ..

We are in the lift alone and stood right to the back, the lift stops at a floor and a person enters the lift .

the doors close which they are stood by , Then they blurt out something like .."Level 4 please !"

Looking at mrs kalos and I expectantly  whilst glancing at the lifts control panel.

Don't get us wrong ..Disabled ,mums with kids etc or we are stood at the side of the panel ,not a problem 

but when they are inches away from the control panel and able bodied ...Come on ! :classic_wacko:

We've experienced similar - without the please!  Who do these people think they are?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Her name was Diane Cousins and she was a brilliant entertainer and singer.  Her act was a mixture of comedy and singing and always brought the house down.  As you say she would stop mid-performance and get the house lights up if anyone came in late and equally if they tried to leave mid-performance.  Always hilarious and you certainly learned to get there in good time !

Played many hands of Whist with her in the past as she was a keen card player and I've greatly missed her shows over the past few years.   They don't make 'em like they used to !

Diane-Cousins.png

That's the one! I had a feeling her first name was Diane but couldn't recall the surname. She certainly belted out her tunes!

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

That'll teach you not to wear your your little page boy suit on holiday.😁

Avril

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We have as many pictures taken as possible on formal night, just trying to get a good one... 

I am not very photogenic and they always get a reflection from Michelle's glasses... 

Andy 

We both always take our glasses off for photos for that reason.

Graham.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kalos said:

Exactly,and if you did press the button that they want chances are they won't even thank you anyway.

Graham.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I often choose a seat at the end of the row because I don't know if I am going to like the show (I have very high standards you know 😉) and might want to leave. Whenever someone wants to come past however I happily stand up and give them a smile - even telling them they are welcome if they say thank you (and sometimes even when they don't say thank you!)...

That made me smile, because I do exactly the same. I am forever holding doors open for people and it’s amazing how many people don’t say thank you. When they don’t I say, in a very loud voice “You are welcome” and I often get a very strange look in return. Some people are so ignorant. I tend to go to the opposite extreme myself, especially when people hold the door for us when I am pushing my wife in her wheelchair. I usually say “Thank you - that’s very kind of you” because it really does help us.

I have the same irritation when driving and there is a narrowing of the road or a parked vehicle. I often beckon vehicles coming the other way through and am happy to do so, but it incenses me when people don’t have the decency just to raise their hand by way of thanks. I toot my horn in anger at them, but those sort of people probably have no idea why so it’s probably in vain 🙄xx

• Like 3

On the subject of lift farters (sorry), we were in a lift on Aurora and an old couple got in and the old boy let rip audibly. He didn’t bat an eyelid, nor did his wife. At the next floor they got out, just as the stench hit us, and a load of others got in. When we got out my wife was mortified and said “How embarrassing. They must have thought it was us”. I said, don’t worry darling, I just gestured in your direction and mouthed to them “sorry, she’s disabled”. Given my sense of humour (which would have made it plausible), it took my wife a few hours to realise that I was pulling her leg 😂 I know that’s not a very PC story, but when you are living with life changing disability it’s better to have a dark humour about it 😂 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Britboys said:

What am I not missing?

Tat stalls in the atrium and corridors.

Oh, and Tat stalls.

And did I mention Tat stalls in the atrium and corridors...😱

How about the inch of gold stall in the atrium?. We all miss those, don't we ?🤔

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Can anybody give me any guidance on the difference between the ‘inch of pretend gold’ and tat? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You can well laugh but in 2006 I had one ‘silver’ and one ‘gold’ anklet bracelet from

this ‘tat’ stall on Arcadia, they were really unusual designs, beautifully finished off

with a strong clasp and I still wear them every summer , in fact they get lots of

compliments! They cost about £5 in total. Well pleased.

Terri

• Like 1

We decided to buy a beautiful static caravan in North Wales - something we had thought about doing for years.

Ok we are not allowed in at the moment but we know that we will have many many happy holidays there ------- AND the cat love coming along with us 😉

• Like 4