First cruise commercial in months!!!!

Dixe Lee

Just now, farmersfight said:

I think the first 2 vaccines coming out; Pfizer's and Moderna's both require 2 shots. Another vaccine about to come out of the pipeline; Johnson & Johnson's will only require 1 shot.

Right, which is why I suggested "some" require 2.  😉
331 million people

The U.S. population today, at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people. The U.S. is the third largest country in the world, outnumbered only by the two demographic billionaires, China and India, at just over 1.4 billion and just under 1.4 billion, respectively.Jan 2, 2020

8 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

According to this post: 

331 million people

The U.S. population today, at the start of 2020, numbers just over 331 million people.<snipped>Jan 2, 2020
Posted by PBS Newshour

Thanks. My how we (U.S.) grow so fast. My # was probably a little bit dated.

• Like 1

Sorry, l just suck at math. Seems to me though that getting that many people to take a shot or 2, and the vaccine works with minimal side effects is a left handed crap shoot. 

On a different note I have seen the NCL commercial a couple of times and also got two mailers as well.

Cruising is not on my radar and won't be for a long time.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

On 11/24/2020 at 7:02 PM, BirdTravels said:

Because Americans are not the only passengers on a ship.

Umm, yeah, I think I knew that.

A non-trivial % of passengers on a cruise ship are *not* from the Untied States.

For cruise ships leaving out of U.S. ports, a non-trivial % of passengers are from the United States.

And, more importantly, the non-Americans are the passengers coveted by the cruise lines because they spend a lot more per person that the [cheap] Americans. 

"the non-Americans are the passengers coveted by the cruise lines..." Is that why the major cruise lines (Carnival, RCL, NCL) have established major offices in Miami? And have home ported their ships in numerous U.S. ports? Because they don't covet American passengers?

"because they spend a lot more per person that (sp) the [cheap] Americans." Please provide a source for this purported "fact". Also, a little anti-patriotic don't you think?

And I don't see the new administration, who proclaimed that the US will be the leader of the world going forward and take care of the world (statements today) are immediately going to do a 180 and say "mine mine mine, you don't get any".  

Yeah, the new "globalist" administration. It won't surprise me when the new administration does abandon the "America first" policy of the current administration and distributes the initial limited supply of the vaccine(s) to other countries first, ignoring the citizens in the country where the vaccine(s) were created (and yes, at "warp speed"). Btw, the current administration never said "mine mine mine, you don't get any", what was said was that the U.S. citizenry will have priority to the vaccine(s).

When you get to 650M doses specifically allocated to the United States, you have more than hopes for herd immunity. Herd immunity hoping that no one with the virus slips onboard is like hoping that your kid drives in the speed limit. Ain't going to happen. 

With the way these companies (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenica, Johnson & Johnson) are on the fast track developing, producing and soon to be distributing the new vaccine(s), 650M doses may be here sooner than you think. And, if a vast majority of the passengers & crew on a cruise ship are vaccinated and therefore immune, why would they care if someone with the virus slips onboard? I don't think that will be a possibility anyway because the cruise lines are going to require all passengers & crew on board be vaccinated.

Gee, I hope you get to read my post before CC pulls it down (as well as yours) because of the politics that you introduced.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NJGeorge said:

Sorry, l just suck at math.

I didn't think that was the case at all. I just thought you left off a "0" or that it was a typo.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well...

Free Funny Cartoon Turkeys, Download Free Clip Art, Free Clip Art on  Clipart Library

Remember to put your mask back on between bites...

Edited by farmersfight

Just saw this commercial yesterday.  NCL is happy to take your money while they run months of test cruises.  No one really knows when we will return to paid cruises that are “normal”.  I’m thinking late 2021.  All cruise lines have to jump through many hoops with test cruising and approvals:

Under Phase 1 of the CDC's new guidelines cruise companies must test all crew members on a weekly basis. Companies will also be required to run test voyages to ensure safety protocols effectively mitigate the risk of a Covid-19 outbreak at sea. The protocols must be approved beforehand by the CDC. The simulated voyages will use volunteer passengers. 

During those voyages, cruise companies must simulate boarding and disembarking passengers, including onboard activities like dining and entertainment; private island excursions; evacuation procedures; the transfer of symptomatic passengers or crew to isolated cabins; and the quarantine of remaining passengers and crew in the event of someone contracting Covid-19. 

Other CDC guidelines include limiting voyages to seven or fewer days and screening passengers for Covid-19 symptoms before they embark the ship. Cruise companies must also administer Covid-19 tests to all passengers on the day they board and the day they disembark. 

Once the CDC reviews the report of the simulated voyage, the agency will decide on a case-by-case basis whether a ship is allowed to resume operations in the U.S. Cruise companies have the right to appeal this decision should their application to resume cruises be denied.

The CDC can deny sailing as many times as they see fit.  

The only thing that might speed this up is mandatory proof of vaccination on both cruise ships and airlines.  World wide vaccination will take time before ports will open again to cruise lines. 

I'm not trying to burst anyone’s bubble.  Just being realistic.  I’m not planning on cruising until September 2022 to Hawaii on the Pride of America.  No foreign ports required.  My fingers are crossed for everyone who wants to cruise that this all happens quickly.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, farmersfight said:

With the way these companies (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenica, Johnson & Johnson) are on the fast track developing, producing and soon to be distributing the new vaccine(s), 650M doses may be here sooner than you think. And, if a vast majority of the passengers & crew on a cruise ship are vaccinated and therefore immune, why would they care if someone with the virus slips onboard? I don't think that will be a possibility anyway because the cruise lines are going to require all passengers & crew on board be vaccinated.

Because that would automatically put the entire ship into a quarantine state, regardless on the number of vaccinations there are. 

For cruise ships leaving out of U.S. ports, a non-trivial % of passengers are from the United States.

"the non-Americans are the passengers coveted by the cruise lines..." Is that why the major cruise lines (Carnival, RCL, NCL) have established major offices in Miami? And have home ported their ships in numerous U.S. ports? Because they don't covet American passengers?

The cruise lines focus on the customers that statistically spend more money per person on a cruise. I have zero idea on what "good business" has to do with being patriotic. Americans spend less per person that some of the foreign passengers. And in a pre-COVID world, the cruise line devotes a substantial resources in filling cabins with those non-US passengers. Relevance? In a Post-COVID world, vaccinations of the US population will not necessarily be as readily available in some of the Non-US countries. Demographics from a few cruises we have been on: 

New England Demographics:

Total Passengers: 1644

Non-US Passengers: 637 (39%)

Passengers Under 21: 16

Average Age: 65.4

Mexican Riviera Demographics:

Total Passengers: 2894

US: 2536

Non-US: 337 (12%)

Average Age: 42

Under 12: 337

Under 18: 670

Under 21: 724

Over 60: 668

Alaska Demographics:

Total Passengers: 2662

US Guest: 1914

Non-US: 748 (28%)

Under 18: 363

Under 21: 407

Over 60: 643

Average Age: 48

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Because that would automatically put the entire ship into a quarantine state, regardless on the number of vaccinations there are. 

I agree, that would put the entire ship into a quarantine state, regardless on the number of vaccinations there are. Supports my next sentence that cruise lines are going to require all passengers & crew on board be vaccinated.

I don't think that will be a possibility anyway because the cruise lines are going to require all passengers & crew on board be vaccinated.

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I have zero idea on what "good business" has to do with being patriotic.

Imo, it is somewhat anti-patriotic to group all Americans as being "cheap".

"because they spend a lot more per person that (sp) the [cheap] Americans." Please provide a source for this purported "fact". Also, a little anti-patriotic don't you think?

And again I ask, do you have a source for your purported "fact" that non-Americans spend a lot more per person than the [cheap] Americans?

• Like 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:28 PM, Dixe Lee said:

NCL has a new TV commercial, first commercial for cruising we have seen in months!  It is beautiful but why do you think they are putting this out there now when we have no idea when we will get to cruise again?

I also just saw that commercial.  I never thought I'd be so excited to see a cruise commercial.  It's just a matter of time before we sail again 🙂