Handicap Cabin

ohcsim123

We just booked a cruise on the Marina for a 2022 sailing.

We want an OV cabin which are limited in number on that ship.

Even 16 months out, the only OV still available was one of very few Wheelchair/Handicap

cabins on the entire ship.

I explained to the TA that , although I am a senior and occasionally use a cane, we certainly

do not need such a cabin although having the extra room would seem to be a nice plus. 

Because we really want an OV cabin midship/low and have no interest in a Veranda, she went

ahead and reserved it for us because it was the only OV left. At this time, there are no Oceania

free upgrades or other "perks" offered for this sailing other than the usual Olife stuff.

We're now deposit-booked and I am wondering first about the ethics of all this and secondly about

the possibility and probability of being "bumped" to a location not of our choosing as the ship

fills and someone appears who really needs an accessible cabin.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what came of it all?

Does anyone here know Oceania's "rules/procedures" regarding this?

Thanks in advance,

John   

I would   just keep checking  when the cruise is closer  to see if any OV cabins become available  or ask your TA  to keep checking 

I have tried to book one in the past  to no avail  they book quickly

I would maybe book a B3 or B4  cabin  even though you do not want a balcony  cabin at least you will have one close to where you want  mid ship

If someone needs  the H/C  I am pretty sure you will be bumped 

JMO

The short answer is that your claim to Any handicap cabin is only as good as the claim of an ill person who needs to use it, versus your own physical needs.

The Revenue Dept tries to keep everything on a smiling, pleasant level, and as with most Cabin Guarantees, they attempt to only move clients "up", i.e  to ones which are seen as better more more desirable by the general public.   

2 hours ago, ohcsim123 said:

We just booked a cruise on the Marina for a 2022 sailing.

We want an OV cabin which are limited in number on that ship.

Even 16 months out, the only OV still available was one of very few Wheelchair/Handicap

cabins on the entire ship.

I explained to the TA that , although I am a senior and occasionally use a cane, we certainly

do not need such a cabin although having the extra room would seem to be a nice plus. 

Because we really want an OV cabin midship/low and have no interest in a Veranda, she went

ahead and reserved it for us because it was the only OV left. At this time, there are no Oceania

free upgrades or other "perks" offered for this sailing other than the usual Olife stuff.

We're now deposit-booked and I am wondering first about the ethics of all this and secondly about

the possibility and probability of being "bumped" to a location not of our choosing as the ship

fills and someone appears who really needs an accessible cabin.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation and what came of it all?

Does anyone here know Oceania's "rules/procedures" regarding this?

Thanks in advance,

John   

I booked a cruise for '22 and of the two OV available one was "accessible." I asked my O rep if that means I could get bumped. He said in his experience he's only known one person who had an issue. And that issue is that a handicapped person didn't get a suitable cabin and gave him the stink eye every time he saw him. I took the other cabin.

it is all on Oceania's   plate... NOT your doing or responsibility.  I doubt they will bump you.  As said by others they have only seen one such situation. 

So you do not have to bear a cross or wear a scarlet letter....  It is not your doing..... Life is too short to worry or carry any guilt.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

As said by others they have only seen one such situation. 

What *I* said is that my O rep said HE had only heard the one thing. And I chose the non-acccessible as I think a passenger should get bumped for someone who physically needs the access. But I happen to care a lot about my fellow humans.

On 12/1/2020 at 2:51 PM, Qruzon said:

If O can sell your cabin, they likely will offer you a better cabin, but you are not required to take it.

I took a cabin just a few doors down the hall. Just wanted to share.