Discounted Holland America Gift Cards

Petersonfcu

Just got an email offer from HAL with an offer of a free $50 gift card with the purchase of a $500 gift card.  And also a free $100 card with a purchase of a $1000 gift card.  This is sort of like buying a discounted gift card, which one has long been able to do with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines such as Princess (through Allstate and AARP) but I have not noticed before with HAL.

2 hours ago, Petersonfcu said:

Just got an email offer from HAL with an offer of a free $50 gift card with the purchase of a $500 gift card.  And also a free $100 card with a purchase of a $1000 gift card.  This is sort of like buying a discounted gift card, which one has long been able to do with other Carnival Corporation cruise lines such as Princess (through Allstate and AARP) but I have not noticed before with HAL.

The discount only applies if you buy the gift card direct from HAL.

Also, we have been able to buy HAL gift cards, along with Princess and Carnival, from our local Kroger for several years and get the fuel points associated with the purchase.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Sadly, gift cards don’t work for Canadians. 😉 😞 

We can buy shore excursions with them.  I have bought a couple of excursions for our Grand S.A. if that cruise doesn't go our back up will be Grand Africa 2022 and will use our refunded gift cards for shore excursions on that one.  We just did a couple where the distance is quite far from the port.  Otherwise hope all others are independent.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, kazu said:

Sadly, gift cards don’t work for Canadians. 😉 😞 

Hi Jacqui,

I was just reading the terms and conditions for the gift cards and bonus cards and it said that they can be purchased by US and CA residents.

The bonus card promo ends tonight, 12/6 at midnight Pacific time.

I have wonderful memories of sharing some excursions you had arranged a few years ago to coastal towns in southern England and also to Siena and Tuscany.

Paul

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Lido deck main said:

We can buy shore excursions with them.  I have bought a couple of excursions for our Grand S.A. if that cruise doesn't go our back up will be Grand Africa 2022 and will use our refunded gift cards for shore excursions on that one.  We just did a couple where the distance is quite far from the port.  Otherwise hope all others are independent.

Thanks 🙂 

13 minutes ago, dolsonxl said:

Hi Jacqui,

I was just reading the terms and conditions for the gift cards and bonus cards and it said that they can be purchased by US and CA residents.

The bonus card promo ends tonight, 12/6 at midnight Pacific time.

I have wonderful memories of sharing some excursions you had arranged a few years ago to coastal towns in southern England and also to Siena and Tuscany.

Paul

Thanks as well and for the kind words on the tours.  They are great memories indeed ❤️ 

The "promotional" gift cards issued for 20% must be used by 12/31/2020 so they must be applied to future booking now. Primary cards have no expiration date and can be used while onboard. These T&C notices constantly change so buyer beware. Other "promotional" gift cards also have expiration date printed on them (10%) ones.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, semibeater said:

When the gift cards were first offered they gave you 20% ($200 for $1000) Maybe this offer will return?

I was waiting for the return of this great offer myself, but the two times the gift card bonus was temporarily re-opened, it was for 10 per cent;  still not bad.

30 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

Can these gift cards be used to pay your onboard account charges?

Yes, the fine print says to bring them to the front desk to be applied for payments listed on the onboard account; also good for booked cruises with a balance due or to make a future cruise reservation.

Just now, dolsonxl said:

Yes, the fine print says to bring them to the front desk to be applied for payments listed on the onboard account; also good for booked cruises with a balance due or to make a future cruise reservation.

Thank you for the information!

54 minutes ago, semibeater said:

The "promotional" gift cards issued for 20% must be used by 12/31/2020 so they must be applied to future booking now. Primary cards have no expiration date and can be used while onboard. These T&C notices constantly change so buyer beware. Other "promotional" gift cards also have expiration date printed on them (10%) ones.

I just bought the 10% version.  I am Canadian we can't use them for our cruise booking payment as they are in Canadian dollars.  However we can use them for shore excursions, so our cruise is not scheduled to go (hopefully) until January 2022, after the expiration date for the promotional cards of December 31st, 2021. (the 10% version)  So I booked shore excursions with the promotional cards, I called the shore excursion desk and mentioned what if the cruise ends up being cancelled she said they would refund to a gift card but that would be a regular gift card, the ones that don't have the expiration date.  So yes, everyone be aware those promotional cards do have an expiry date.

I bought enough of these to pay off our whole cruise - a total of 6,000.00 in gift cards and used for booking - the promotional 1,200.00 can also be used - there are 3 of us in Neptune Suite.  Used my Barclay credit card and racked up points for statement credits as well - All money I saved I had already spent in 100 shares when it was way down and the stock is starting to go up - cant be happier !