Accessible Rome hotel

RonPaula

I plan on posting on the disabled board also. I would like a hotel in Rome center, such as near the Pantheon. I’ve noticed that some hotels don’t have car access to the front entrance, so that might be a problem. Also need reliable elevators. It would be nice if accessible restaurants were nearby. I use a manual wheelchair, but can walk a bit and can climb 2-3 steps with assistance from my husband. We plan on taking a private tour but would like a hotel that has Roman atmosphere for our off time. The more I search, the more confused and tired I become. Any suggestions?

Paula

Thanks for taking a look at my post. I realize what I wanted/needed is a challenge to find. We just decided to go with the Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria. While it isn’t in the middle of the action, we should be able to relax and view Rome from our balcony.  Our tour of the city the following day will have to be sufficient for this trip. Traveling with a progressive disease with mobility issues sometimes requires you to cut your losses and take the easy way.  I’m heading to Rome!

Paula

1 hour ago, RonPaula said:

Thanks for taking a look at my post. I realize what I wanted/needed is a challenge to find. We just decided to go with the Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria. While it isn’t in the middle of the action, we should be able to relax and view Rome from our balcony.  Our tour of the city the following day will have to be sufficient for this trip. Traveling with a progressive disease with mobility issues sometimes requires you to cut your losses and take the easy way.  I’m heading to Rome!

Paula

Best of luck to you. I did look at your post but while I could recommend a couple of hotels near the Pantheon where taxis can drop off and with limited steps to the entrance, (and nearby dining) I am not sure that the elevators in either one would accommodate a wheel chair.

I have also read on other sites that it can be tough going for those in manual wheelchairs in the areas around the Pantheon/Trevi/Piazza Navona due to the uneven and congested sidewalks and the fact that most of street surfaces are cobblestones.

1 hour ago, RonPaula said:

Paula

Cavalleri is an excellent hotel. I didn't earlier recommend it because I wasn't sure it met your criteria. But definitely love to stay there any time we are in Rome.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I have also read on other sites that it can be tough going for those in manual wheelchairs in the areas around the Pantheon/Trevi/Piazza Navona due to the uneven and congested sidewalks and the fact that most of street surfaces are cobblestones.

Good point - speaking from experience, it is very difficult going in those areas in a manual wheelchair due to the cobblestones.