Can't swim...

msbs23

Same with me. Hate being underwater. So I stay out of the major deep pool and stick with the hot tubs.

Just went on snorkeling excursion and even put on the vest given to me. I look at the others, including my little girl jumping off (well, she needed to be coaxed and lifted into the water) into 10 feet deep ocean and I decided to stay aboard and work on crossword puzzles.

Considering that you can be hundreds if not thousands of miles away from land, with thousands of feet of water under the keel of the ship, I don't think the ability to swim will be that much of a factor. It's much more important to attend the lifeboat drill and know what to do in case of an emergency.

Cruise ships are very safe. However, nothing is perfectly safe. The best way to protect yourself is attend the muster so you have the information you need and then enjoy yourself.

Linda

Did you ever see "The Love Boat" when wear the guy is wearing a lifejacket all the time? He was afriad of the water. He was able to take it off at the end of the show and enjoyed himself.

I also have never learned to fly without an airplane.:D

Another non-swimmer here! I wear a life-jacket when snorkeling, and going on the small boat excursions, wave-runner, jet skis, etc..

I am also afraid of heights but the balcony cabin doesn't bother me either.

Our youngest DD won't get in a boat on a lake, but she had no problem getting on the cruise ship:D

Don't worry, I am sure you'll have a great cruise in spite of not being able to swim.

Our local YMCA offers a beginning swim class for adults called TOW ( Terrified Of Water). My DW has managed to fail it 3 times but she loves cruising. If she is on a small boat then she justs wears a life jacket the whole time.But as a previous poster mentioned out in the middle of the ocean it doesn't really matter if you can swim or not.

Sorry I disagree. Fear is fear and some people are scared of the water. They want to cruise because it seems so nice but they have fear too. I would never call anyone's question "dumb".

I am sorry if I missed the post but I don't remember anybody saying it was dumb. I do understand fear my DW has that fear of water that is deeper then her waist and my daughter has anxiety attacks with spiders. I know I would never say it is dumb.

If you go overboard without a life jacket, it really doesn't matter if you can swim or not.

......when his ship was sunk by a kamikazi in Leyte Gulf and he had to tread water for 4 hrs before being picked up. :eek:

But I know and realize that is not a worry on a cruise ship.....:D

I am sorry if I missed the post but I don't remember anybody saying it was dumb. I do understand fear my DW has that fear of water that is deeper then her waist and my daughter has anxiety attacks with spiders. I know I would never say it is dumb.

I don't think it was you Dockman. Someone said this was a "Dumb question" but the post has been pulled. Rightly so.

It was my post and I said I was sorry. I mean it's like asking, "I can't fly, should I get on an airplane"? I purposely didn't call the poster dumb just the question. I ask dumb questions all of the time and don't think my post should have been pulled.

not to be snarky or anythig - I don't understand how you can get to adulthood and not know how to swim . . . I'm no Olympic athlete, but I can do a few miles out in the ocean and horseplaying with the kids at the pool is a great way to cool down and relax in the summer.

It frustrates me to no end that one of my friends cannot swim - she's 71 years old, lives on an island, went out on the fishing boats all the time with her father, loves the water (sitting in a beach chair as the waves wash over her), has parasailed numerous times, but can barely dogpaddle her way anywhere!

[q]springtxbill - If you go overboard without a life jacket, it really doesn't matter if you can swim or not. [/q]

I'm not sure I understand the logic to this - are you thinking the fall will kill you and that's why it doesn't matter? Sharks will eat you? If someone has seen you fall (or perhaps you have slid off the slide of the snorkle boat) a few strokes can take you over to a life preserver.

FEAR of water is one thing* (a friend has an irrational fear of driving over bridges, again, not a healthy thing when living on an island where you have to cross a bridge to get off!); lack of knowledge is easily fixable. Besides - swimming is great excersise, wonderful mental therapy, excellent physical therapy, and just plain old fun! Check your local Y, pool, school, whatnot for a class!

*I will admit to a fear of heights - I almost fell throught the ceiling of our theatre onto the large pipe organ below - people saw my foot dangling from above and rescued me - so now I have great respect for heights that doesn't keep me from doing my job in the rafters of the theatre.

The water's warm and fat floats .... I'm good to go! Enjoy yourself, you'd hate to miss out on a wonderful cruise experience simply because you can't swim. My DH doesn't like swimming, in fact I call him my speed swimmer if we're in a pool because he swims as fast as he possibly can to get from one side to the other ... I don't want to see him even attempt that on the ocean!!! He does, however, love to cruise, and swimming just never enters the picture.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived