SS United States article on CNN.com

MeHeartCruising

On 12/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, Daytonasailor said:

We sailed on her in the early 60's too. My father was in the army stationed in Europe and he was the transportation officer in his unit. He said my mother had a fear of flying so he arraigned for first class tickets for the family. I remember that everything was just perfect  and feeling that this first class is kinda nice.

Our family likewise sailed Bremerhaven > New York on sister ship S.S. America during the early 60's when my father was transferred stateside.

On 12/25/2020 at 6:00 AM, farmersfight said:

This is actually a good idea. Instead of scrapping her or sinking her to make an artificial reef, restore her as a hotel or B&B (as you mentioned, like the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA).

If the SSUS Conservancy can burn through serious cash just keeping her moored in Philadelphia, it seems like they could raise the $$ necessary to restore her and turn her into a hotel or B&B (and start getting some return on investment). Yeah, it would be appropriate for her to be located in NYC.

I'd stay there!

Marty (aka farmersfight)

Except that the ship right now is really an empty shell.    All her interiors, fittings, walls, bulkheads, etc. were completely removed .. the ship was totally gutted when it was towed to Turkey years ago to have her asbestos removed.

The cost of rebuilding and restoring the interiors would be absolutely prohibitive, as much as I would love to see something like this come of her. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

Except that the ship right now is really an empty shell.    All her interiors, fittings, walls, bulkheads, etc. were completely removed .. the ship was totally gutted when it was towed to Turkey years ago to have her asbestos removed.

The cost of rebuilding and restoring the interiors would be absolutely prohibitive, as much as I would love to see something like this come of her. 

Thanks, good information. I'm afraid she may be destined to return to Turkey (or India) for scrapping...

5 hours ago, F27TW said:

Exactly.........I'm starting to wonder in the Conservancy is a scam. It cost $64,000 A MONTH just to keep it docked here in Philadelphia. The ship has been sitting in Philly since 2010.....you can do the math. That 64K does not include any insurance. The conservancy has a number of people on their staff, wonder what they are making a year. The ship is a shell, its either going to become a reef or you might find it in your next can of coke.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Exactly.........I'm starting to wonder in the Conservancy is a scam. It cost $64,000 A MONTH just to keep it docked here in Philadelphia. The ship has been sitting in Philly since 2010.....you can do the math. That 64K does not include any insurance. The conservancy has a number of people on their staff, wonder what they are making a year. The ship is a shell, its either going to become a reef or you might find it in your next can of coke.

Actually she's been there at that pier on downtown Philadelphia for a alot longer than that ..  i was down there in 1998 and saw her sitting there rusting.    I almost got arrested too -- i snuck through that fence to get some pics .. got chased out by a big guard .. with a big gun!   LOL

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Yeah, the economics (cost) does not justify keeping her moored at the dock in Philadelphia, rusting away. Talk about hemorrhaging $$. I don't know how the SSUS Conservancy does it. Oh wait, they usually do get that $1,000 grant from the Navy Federal Credit Union each year. I'm sure that helps with the costs (not).

It's inevitable, the ship will become a reef, will be in our next can of coke or we will be shaving with it. Just a matter of time; but how much more time?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, F27TW said:

Actually she's been there at that pier on downtown Philadelphia for a alot longer than that ..  i was down there in 1998 and saw her sitting there rusting.    I almost got arrested too -- i snuck through that fence to get some pics .. got chased out by a big guard .. with a big gun!   LOL

Sorry your right, the 2010 was a typo on my part. She has been in Philadelphia since 1996. Your not the only one who tried to sneak on. I know some people who live in South Philly and they are getting real tired of looking at her

Although she is in deplorable condition externally the interior is clean but thoroughly stripped.

This is not necessarily a bad thing as it leaves her as a blank canvas for redevelopment, free of asbestos, tiny unusable cabins, ancient plumbing and electric, etc.

A couple photos from a visit with her former owner’s attorney.

2FDBC605-993E-4831-AF76-D0D9F365BB4C.jpeg

740F992E-AD14-44A0-858D-CE874A7852A0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2020 at 6:00 AM, farmersfight said:

This is actually a good idea. Instead of scrapping her or sinking her to make an artificial reef, restore her as a hotel or B&B (as you mentioned, like the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA).

If the SSUS Conservancy can burn through serious cash just keeping her moored in Philadelphia, it seems like they could raise the $$ necessary to restore her and turn her into a hotel or B&B (and start getting some return on investment). Yeah, it would be appropriate for her to be located in NYC.

I'd stay there!

Marty (aka farmersfight)

While the RMS Queen Mary might be in jeopardy, the SS Rotterdam (V), and the QE2 seem to be doing okay in their new roles as hotel/conference center/maritime museum.  Of course, the latter (in Dubai), has some very deep pockets supporting her...😉

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, F27TW said:

You've been able to see the ship from the upper deck at the Phillies' stadium. 

I'm sorry, it's a white elephant at this point.  There have been efforts to move it, restore it, repurpose it...  and with the pandemic economy, there's just no way.