Royal Caribbean, cruise Insurance was a total waste of time and money.

KBrown916

Royal Caribbean and AON (insurance carrier) will not refund the full cost of a cancelled cruise, although written proof of a terminal illness that I am currently undergoing my 3rd round of treatment for was provided. COVID-19 began spreading in Florida the first week of March 2020 and Royal Caribbean's March 13 blog noted they were cancelling all cruises for 30 days (https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/03/20/timeline-the-spread-of-coronavirus-in-florida/). Three days later, due to my compromised immune system; I cancelled my cruise on The Oasis of the Seas, set to sail on April 12, 2020. Despite Governor Ron DeSantis' coronavirus stay-at-home order of April 1 (https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/01/coronavirus-florida-desantis) and Royal Caribbean's March 13 cancellation of its cruises, I have received no refund. I've repeatedly contacted Royal Caribbean and AON, via telephone and email. I've provided all of the requested forms correctly completed by medical personnel; listing terminal diagnosis, course of treatment, and reason(s) to not travel during coronavirus. Now AON wants my medical records, which I will not authorize.  Royal Caribbean was paid in full for a service that they cancelled.  AON just strings you along.  Customer is SOL.

2 things

ALL insurance companies are going to request access to your medical records if you are filing a claim for medical reasons. If you chose not to give them access, then that's on you and they are completely in the right to deny your claim.

Royals insurance does include Cancel For Any Reason which allows you to cancel right up until sailing time. So, there is that. But it does only pay in a cruise credit. Not a cash refund.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, klfrodo said:

2 things

ALL insurance companies are going to request access to your medical records if you are filing a claim for medical reasons. If you chose not to give them access, then that's on you and they are completely in the right to deny your claim.

Royals insurance does include Cancel For Any Reason which allows you to cancel right up until sailing time. So, there is that. But it does only pay in a cruise credit. Not a cash refund.

This ^^

Definitely.

Indeed, if you read the terms of your travel insurance policy (you did read it before you purchased it, or during any temporary refund period, right?), it no doubt includes a statement that in event of claim, you would present certain documentation.  

The insurer has a right to double check that the claim is valid.  Otherwise, anyone who wanted to cancel could "claim illness", and get a refund, and... then there wouldn't be insurance for any of us anymore.

This would include medical records if the insurer requests them.

Similarly, if you have an auto insurance policy for any significant amount, there will be someone, some sort of claims adjuster, who will be verifying it.  In some cases, a body shop or dealer might provide that documentation, but the point is, it is not only the vehicle owner who states something like, "My car is totalled; please send a check to me for <value>."

They might want previous records documenting condition of car, or such.

Keep in mind, with insurance, it would be quite easy - too easy - for some unscrupulous physician to just sign a document that So-And-So was ill with XYZ and couldn't travel.  In some cases the insurer may sense a red flag.  Or it could be just a random check.  Or perhaps they do a full review for all claims over $ABC.

Also, third party insurance coverage (NOT through the travel vendor) usually offer a CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage (at extra cost) that will provide 75% CASH BACK, not just a credit, perhaps with restrictions.

Let them have access to your medical records; they aren't going to post them on the Internet.

And then you'll get your money...

GC

• Thanks 1

It is not unusual for an insurance company to request medical records to back up a claim.   If the OP wants to fight the request, the claim is likely to have an unfavorable outcome.   AON makes it pretty clear in their FAQs that they routinely require an Authorization for Release of Medical Records.  Once AON has that authorization it is up to the claims examiner whether he/she needs additional medical information to verify the valid ty of the claim.  While it would be unusual for an insurer to request anyone's complete medical records it is pretty routine for them to directly contact the physician for additional medical information specific to the claim.   From the point of view of a claims examiner, resistance to authorizing access to medical records would be a red flag that something may be amiss with the claim.

Most insurance companies are not content to pay off a claim based on a single signed form.  Obtaining back-up information and further verification from a medical provider is a routine way of detecting fraudulent claims (which happen all the time).   The best way to get any claim settled is to cooperate with the insurance company/claims examiner.   Nothing is gained by playing hard ball other then delays and frustration.

Hank

• Thanks 1