Viking Ocean - Chasing the Northern Lights - Feb 2022

ChiefLnc7

On 2/6/2021 at 1:27 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I've found that iphones often don't even work in cold weather. Since I was using that to try and get aurora pictures, I kept it in my coat pocket as often as possible. 

On our expeditionary trip to NE Greenland  (with another cruise line), we would spend hours out on zodiacs in the cold.  We found the batteries in our newer IPhones lasted much longer than our bigger cameras.  I felt it was because the iPhone was easy to slip inside my jacket when not photographing (similar to your attempts) while the larger camera was exposed to the cold more.  So I plan to have both available.  

I kept the cell phone in as warm a pocket as I could in between taking pictures. I was using our 5S - which is hardly a "newer" phone. I'm just glad I got the pictures I did especially without any sort of tripod. I didn't even have the northern lights photo app before boarding - should have being that I had no idea what my apple ID password was and so had to create a new one. Without the app, I wouldn't have gotten anything. You need to have the longer exposure setting - whether or not that can be done easily on an iphone I have no clue. The app adjusts and sets it automatically. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, OnTheJourney said:

I kept the cell phone in as warm a pocket as I could in between taking pictures. I was using our 5S - which is hardly a "newer" phone. I'm just glad I got the pictures I did especially without any sort of tripod. I didn't even have the northern lights photo app before boarding - should have being that I had no idea what my apple ID password was and so had to create a new one. Without the app, I wouldn't have gotten anything. You need to have the longer exposure setting - whether or not that can be done easily on an iphone I have no clue. The app adjusts and sets it automatically. 

Hi, could you advise what the name of the iPhone Northern Lights photo App was. There are a few in the App Store but none of them have any great reviews. Thanks Ron

Ron,

Gladly....On my iphone the App is simply called "Northern Lights". A google search reveals one called "Northern Lights Photo Taker" which I think is probably the one I have. Other names I come across don't seem as familiar. I can also very highly recommend one called "My Aurora Forecast". Yet another fantastic app - not specifically related to auroras but great for all things night-sky viewing, is called "Celestron Sky Portal". The latter two were recommended by the onboard science lecturer during the cruise. I didn't have any apps before the cruise. They gave us plenty of info onboard including tips on photographing the lights, etc. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On this rainy day, I decided to look at some more pictures from the gorgeous scenery from that trip.   It is easy to forget the beauty due to the sudden ending.  As you go back and look though, you realize how beautiful a country Norway is, not only scenery wise, but their kindness and generosity in assisting us in time of need.  I hope you enjoy these pictures.    JohnEB

2S9A9191 scene.jpg

2S9A9395 scene.jpg

• Like 2

This is fun...here are a few more. If we can't travel, at least we can reminisce!  

Flower pots in Oslo

IMG_0561_original.JPG

Gates at Vigeland Park (a most interesting and, shall we say, unusual collection of sculptures to say the least!!!)

IMG_0597_original.JPG

Oslo....one of the government buildings...can't recall which.  City Hall I think

IMG_0617_original.JPG

Holmenkollbakken ski jump. Used in the '52 Olympics. Sort of cool how it just disappeared up into the mist (though WOULD have been nicer on a clearer day to be able to see more of it!)

IMG_0581_original.JPG

Before leaving Bergen...gosh...as you say...what amazing views

IMG_0632_original.JPG

Edited by OnTheJourney

23 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

According to my records it was on day 2.  Not sure of exact city   JohnEB

Where was your last one taken? Love how people are using their trekking poles, etc. ! Sure came in handy on some of those icy sidewalks. Geez, that was a truly awesome trip. My wife just said a few days ago that she'd do another - somehow didn't expect to hear that given how it ended...but....I guess I'd be up for it again also. I think my top choice for returning to Norway would be a spring/summer trip to see more of the fjords. Right about now I'd be ready to jump on just about any cruise ship...or train...or bus....

Were you the one from our sailing that went back to Norway and saw the Hustadvika area and also used Hurtigruten?  I may be thinking of someone else. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

23 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

This is fun...here are a few more. If we can't travel, at least we can reminisce!  

Flower pots in Oslo

IMG_0561_original.JPG

Gates at Vigeland Park (a most interesting and, shall we say, unusual collection of sculptures to say the least!!!)

IMG_0597_original.JPG

Oslo....one of the government buildings...can't recall which.  City Hall I think

IMG_0617_original.JPG

Holmenkollbakken ski jump. Used in the '52 Olympics. Sort of cool how it just disappeared up into the mist (though WOULD have been nicer on a clearer day to be able to see more of it!)

IMG_0581_original.JPG

Before leaving Bergen...gosh...as you say...what amazing views

IMG_0632_original.JPG

Very nice pictures.  I love the ski jump perspective.  It brings back my skiing memories.  I thought they were crazy then when I got to see one up in Canada.  JohnEB

Where was your last one taken? Love how people are using their trekking poles, etc. ! Sure came in handy on some of those icy sidewalks. Geez, that was a truly awesome trip. My wife just said a few days ago that she'd do another - somehow didn't expect to hear that given how it ended...but....I guess I'd be up for it again also. I think my top choice for returning to Norway would be a spring/summer trip to see more of the fjords. Right about now I'd be ready to jump on just about any cruise ship...or train...or bus....

Were you the one from our sailing that went back to Norway and saw the Hustadvika area and also used Hurtigruten?  I may be thinking of someone else. 

Love how people are using their trekking poles, etc. ! Sure came in handy on some of those icy sidewalks.  This was taken from a bus on an excursion in Alta.  The tour guide pointed out that this was a standard way children got to school, and adults to work!   JohnEB

No that wasn't us.    JohnEB

Yeah...that Cathedral was really quite unique.  A few more pics.....

Loved the constellation designs in the lounge....

IMG_0637.jpg

I can still taste these.....surely hoped to get back to Mamson's a few more times! 

IMG_0641.jpg

From Bryggen...would have been cool to spend a bit more time there

IMG_0650.jpg

Last lunch before things started to get crazy!  I'll never forget the Sky's guitar player doing "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic while we ate this meal!!  (Actually, this turned out to be my final meal on the ship. Had I known I wouldn't be eating anything further for like the next 8 hours or so....I would have probably had a bit more!) 

IMG_0997.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 2/28/2021 at 12:52 AM, OnTheJourney said:

Ron,

Gladly....On my iphone the App is simply called "Northern Lights". A google search reveals one called "Northern Lights Photo Taker" which I think is probably the one I have. Other names I come across don't seem as familiar. I can also very highly recommend one called "My Aurora Forecast". Yet another fantastic app - not specifically related to auroras but great for all things night-sky viewing, is called "Celestron Sky Portal". The latter two were recommended by the onboard science lecturer during the cruise. I didn't have any apps before the cruise. They gave us plenty of info onboard including tips on photographing the lights, etc. 

Thanks for the info. We are booked on this trip for March 2022. Hopefully with the roll out of the COVID vaccine this year we might return to normal. After seeing the photos posted here it has made us really look forward to the cruise. Cheers Ron

10 hours ago, AussieRon said:

After seeing the photos posted here it has made us really look forward to the cruise.

Hi Ron,

Glad that the pictures posted by John and I have so encouraged you! It is truly an amazing itinerary, one that I've been thinking about so much lately. I might well be tempted to do it again at some point. I agree that 2022 should be looking much better for traveling. We also have a cruise booked for that month and also one in May. Best wishes to everyone there....

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi Ron,

Glad that the pictures posted by John and I have so encouraged you! It is truly an amazing itinerary, one that I've been thinking about so much lately. I might well be tempted to do it again at some point. I agree that 2022 should be looking much better for traveling. We also have a cruise booked for that month and also one in May. Best wishes to everyone there....

We are also booked on a March 2022 Northern Lights trip.  Is there anything you wish you knew (other than how the trip ended) that you could share with us?  How did have room to pack warm boots and a heavy jacket?  I guess the jacket could be carried on the plane but boots take up a lot of room and can be heavy.

12 hours ago, AussieRon said:

Thanks for the info. We are booked on this trip for March 2022. Hopefully with the roll out of the COVID vaccine this year we might return to normal. After seeing the photos posted here it has made us really look forward to the cruise. Cheers Ron

Ron, as OnTheJourney said you will enjoy it.  The beautiful scenery and culture is hard to explain even in pictures.  Even with the unfortunate situation we had, it allowed us to experience first hand the kindness, and generosity of the Norwegian people and rescue services who easily went above and beyond.  We also have booked another cruise for January 2022 (Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land).  Ironically it is on the Viking Sky, and the cabin is next to the one we had on the NL cruise.  As we find more pictures, we will post them. If you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them.   JohnEB

4 minutes ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We are also booked on a March 2022 Northern Lights trip.  Is there anything you wish you knew (other than how the trip ended) that you could share with us?  How did have room to pack warm boots and a heavy jacket?  I guess the jacket could be carried on the plane but boots take up a lot of room and can be heavy.

Ron, I packed my ski pants and ski jacket.  It kept me warm & dry.  I would suggest waterproof shoes that have good traction instead of boots, a warm hat, and winter gloves.  Remember it will be cold with possible snow and ice.  You may want to consider layers for clothing.  I did not have any problem with airline luggage or cabin storage. Just be mindful of the weight limitations of the baggage.  Even with my photo equipment, I was still able to easily comply with those weights.   JohnEB

6 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Ron, as OnTheJourney said you will enjoy it.  The beautiful scenery and culture is hard to explain even in pictures.  Even with the unfortunate situation we had, it allowed us to experience first hand the kindness, and generosity of the Norwegian people and rescue services who easily went above and beyond.  We also have booked another cruise for January 2022 (Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land).  Ironically it is on the Viking Sky, and the cabin is next to the one we had on the NL cruise.  As we find more pictures, we will post them. If you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them.   JohnEB

Hi John

We did Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land in November 17, the weaher was perfect and this has to be one of the top 3 trips we have ever done, loved it from start to finish, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did

DSCF2939.JPG

2 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

Ron, I packed my ski pants and ski jacket.  It kept me warm & dry.  I would suggest waterproof shoes that have good traction instead of boots, a warm hat, and winter gloves.  Remember it will be cold with possible snow and ice.  You may want to consider layers for clothing.  I did not have any problem with airline luggage or cabin storage. Just be mindful of the weight limitations of the baggage.  Even with my photo equipment, I was still able to easily comply with those weights.   JohnEB

Hi, that was me, Rita, that asked.  

We went on a NE Greeenland expedition cruise with another line 3 years ago and so we have a bought a lot of cold weather clothing for that trip... merino wool base layer, fleece mid layer and waterproof outer layer.  However, the cruise provided the heavy warm jacket and Muck boots.  My large suitcase broke open in transit on that trip because I was packed to the gills.  That’s why I asked about the boots in particular. I am assuming the Northern Lights excursions require being outdoor in the cold for hours.  Were your feet warm enough in regular shoes?

3 hours ago, johneb2 said:

We also have booked another cruise for January 2022 (Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land). 

This is supposed to be a fantastic trip. We have it booked for January '23 (also on the Sky). I chose to move up a cabin category to PV2 on deck 5 - still very close to our 5052 room from '19. Haworth had mentioned to me awhile ago already that it's one of the best trips he's ever done. 

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Were your feet warm enough in regular shoes?

When you say regular shoes, if you're referring to the average sneaker, etc. I wouldn't plan on your feet staying warm. I'd consider taking along something rated a bit higher for cold weather, preferably waterproof - also thermal / heat socks. Same for having good gloves. The key to the clothing is, as you may have already read elsewhere - to dress in layers. You are correct about evening excursions. Some of the private ones can wind up going for 4-5 hours or more. Ship excursions for the NL tend to be shorter. Our (ship) excursion had a lodge that you could go in to get warm - had hot tea, chocolate, pastries, etc. I think I spent more time in there than searching for the NL 😃

Edited by OnTheJourney