Viking Ocean - Chasing the Northern Lights - Feb 2022

ChiefLnc7

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

we have a bought a lot of cold weather clothing for that trip... merino wool base layer, fleece mid layer and waterproof outer layer.

sounds like you're good to go for the Norway trip then. I'd be interested to go to Greenland sometime. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

When you say regular shoes, if you're referring to the average sneaker, etc. I wouldn't plan on your feet staying warm. I'd consider taking along something rated a bit higher for cold weather, preferably waterproof - also thermal / heat socks. Same for having good gloves. The key to the clothing is, as you may have already read elsewhere - to dress in layers. You are correct about evening excursions. Some of the private ones can wind up going for 4-5 hours or more. Ship excursions for the NL tend to be shorter. Our (ship) excursion had a lodge that you could go in to get warm - had hot tea, chocolate, pastries, etc. I think I spent more time in there than searching for the NL 😃

At the moment, Viking is saying ONLY ship’s excursions due to Covid protocol.  I’m hoping in a year that will have changed.  I’d like to find someone who will “chase the lights” looking for clear skies.  As I type this Tromso has a K5 Aurora event happening but they are 97% cloudy.  

Rita

sounds like you're good to go for the Norway trip then. I'd be interested to go to Greenland sometime. 

Our Greenland Expedition trip was a trip of a lifetime but one I wouldn’t want to do again.  Saw wonderful things but there were no bathroom facilities ashore for hiking nor were you allowed to go behind a rock because of the polar bear danger.  In addition there was no relief when spending several hours on a zodiac excursion.  Being in our late 60s at that time, let’s just say it added to the stress. 😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Being in our late 60s at that time, let’s just say it added to the stress.

OK...I think you just talked me out of a similar type of trip involving zodiacs 😮  This was a concern of ours with the evening NL excursion. I inquired directly with the outfit that Viking uses for the evening searches to make certain of the restroom facilities. As I said before, there was a lodge with restrooms (although, quite honestly, a bit of a hassle given having to strip down through 3-4 layers of clothes!!!). You just don't know with traveling. I'll never forget a fellow tourmate on one of our trips who said, "never pass up a chance to use a restroom cause you never know when the next opportunity might come". So true!!  It doesn't have to be an extensive cruise/land tour either. We were on an excursion one time in the Caribbean that took us on a boat right from the ship and did some sightseeing enroute to these caves in Samana. There were literally no facilities the entire time. I think the whole excursion went for like 8 hours in all. Was NEVER so glad to get back to the ship. So....I hear ya. Being in my mid-60s also and being on diuretics for meniere's....I like to know when the next stop is going to be!!! 

3 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

I’d like to find someone who will “chase the lights”

I'm sure you'll find out about lots of private options (if, as you say, such trips will even be up and running). I know there was one during our trip where they were out till nearly 4 a.m. Drove far and wide doing a "chase". That would have been too long for me. I was ok with what we got to see during the evening excursion, although the best sightings (in my case anyway) occurred right on the ship. There were people who went out with groups (ship and private) that didn't get to see much, if anything in some cases. It's luck of the draw. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 1/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Haworth said:

I would recommend Glod as well

I might mention that GLØD is who Viking used for the ship excursions. I was in contact with them quite a few times before the trip to ask various questions. I was told there are some restrictions on what they can offer privately being that they had a contract with Viking, so can't speak to what anyone was able to organize with them outside of what the ship offered. 

SoBay,

Here are a few pics (albeit pretty crappy ones) from our NL excursion. Might give at least a little idea of what it was like. The one I lightened up to black and white just for experimentation purposes since it made it possible to see a bit farther. Made for a rather unusual shot compared to the others. 

Meeting onboard ship. Most interesting and informative. Biggest point brought out is that they offer no guarantees. 

IMG_0806.jpg

They choose between 2 or 3 destinations based on the weather conditions. The only criticism I have from the evening is that the "guides" didn't seem to be doing all that much - at least none came around to us asking about if we wanted any help with photography, etc. Other guests might have had a different experience. A gapahuk is sort of a lean-to, open cabin-type structure. 

IMG_0807.jpg

I didn't spend much time in the lavvu / camp fire areas since they're just so smoky, although they have them available. 

IMG_0808.jpg

Much nicer in the lodge....

IMG_2582.jpg

It was basically alot of people standing around waiting for something to happen. It's certainly a unique experience, although people have done similar types of things I suppose for various astronomical purposes. Shuttle busses ran back and forth, so you could return to the ship anytime you wanted to. We didn't stay the entire time, and I don't believe the sighting got any better after we left. 

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

When you say regular shoes, if you're referring to the average sneaker, etc. I wouldn't plan on your feet staying warm. I'd consider taking along something rated a bit higher for cold weather, preferably waterproof - also thermal / heat socks. Same for having good gloves. The key to the clothing is, as you may have already read elsewhere - to dress in layers

I agree.  The shoes I wore were water repellant Bass shoes.  They were high boys type, hiking shoes.  As for socks, I used my ski socks.  You want socks that wicker the wetness from your skin, as that is what will cause your feet to get cold.  You can purchase these at most outdoor stores.   JohnEB

I might mention that GLØD is who Viking used for the ship excursions. I was in contact with them quite a few times before the trip to ask various questions. I was told there are some restrictions on what they can offer privately being that they had a contract with Viking, so can't speak to what anyone was able to organize with them outside of what the ship offered. 

SoBay,

Here are a few pics (albeit pretty crappy ones) from our NL excursion. Might give at least a little idea of what it was like. The one I lightened up to black and white just for experimentation purposes since it made it possible to see a bit farther. Made for a rather unusual shot compared to the others. 

Meeting onboard ship. Most interesting and informative. Biggest point brought out is that they offer no guarantees. 

IMG_0806.jpg

They choose between 2 or 3 destinations based on the weather conditions. The only criticism I have from the evening is that the "guides" didn't seem to be doing all that much - at least none came around to us asking about if we wanted any help with photography, etc. Other guests might have had a different experience. A gapahuk is sort of a lean-to, open cabin-type structure. 

IMG_0807.jpg

I didn't spend much time in the lavvu / camp fire areas since they're just so smoky, although they have them available. 

IMG_0808.jpg

Much nicer in the lodge....

IMG_2582.jpg

It was basically alot of people standing around waiting for something to happen. It's certainly a unique experience, although people have done similar types of things I suppose for various astronomical purposes. Shuttle busses ran back and forth, so you could return to the ship anytime you wanted to. We didn't stay the entire time, and I don't believe the sighting got any better after we left. 

IMG_2581.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

IMG_2585.jpg

I remember this excursion.  The sightings did not come out until the very end of the excursion and lasted a short time.  Up until that time, it had been overcast.  It was as you said, mostly standing around hoping the clouds would clear, and is why they don't offer any guarantees.  We went to Iceland the year before hoping to see the NL, and it was stormy the whole week!  Once you do get to see them though, it is quite memorable.

16 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

OK...I think you just talked me out of a similar type of trip involving zodiacs 😮  This was a concern of ours with the evening NL excursion.

We did a non-Viking trip to the Galapagos involving zodiacs several years ago, and you are wise to be aware of possible challenges.  We found the transfers from the ship to the zodiac could be an adventure depending upon the ocean roughness.  In addition, many of the shore landings were "wet" landings which you have to be prepared for.  We still found it to be well worth it, but were aware of some fellow passengers who opted out.  JohnEB

22 hours ago, johneb2 said:

When you say regular shoes, if you're referring to the average sneaker, etc. I wouldn't plan on your feet staying warm. I'd consider taking along something rated a bit higher for cold weather, preferably waterproof - also thermal / heat socks. Same for having good gloves. The key to the clothing is, as you may have already read elsewhere - to dress in layers

John....this quote was mine...not SoBay. I've done this so many times also - easy to wind up "quoting" someone that actually was already pre-quoted by someone earlier!!  It gets crazy at times. I only mention this cause on one thread someone pointed out that I "put words in his mouth"  lol....

15 hours ago, johneb2 said:

Anyone remember Winston Churchill outside Narvik?

2S9A9304e.jpg

Cool!!!  I had not recalled this till you mentioned it. Have to see if it shows up in any of my pictures. Might have went back in the room to use the bathroom during this 😆

Have not been to the Galapagos...and probably won't. Looked at a few itineraries and it seems to be really busy in terms of the number of excursions (esp. by zodiac). As you say...wet landings...and such...would not be DW's choice to say the least. Iceland, however, IS on my list. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

A few more....

Loved this part of the ship for just relaxing and doing some reading. 

IMG_0784_original.JPG

On the flight from Molde to Oslo

IMG_1020_original.JPG

By the way....not sure if you or Haworth were our nextdoor neighbors on deck 5 (?)  We were in 5052. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

On 3/1/2021 at 11:18 AM, johneb2 said:

We also have booked another cruise for January 2022 (Cities of Antiquities & Holy Land).  Ironically it is on the Viking Sky, and the cabin is next to the one we had on the NL cruise. 

This is what got me wondering about where you were.....

32 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

A few more....

IMG_0784_original.JPG

IMG_1020_original.JPG

By the way....not sure if you or Haworth were our nextdoor neighbors on deck 5 (?)  We were in 5052. 

I love the picture from the ship.  There was so much beautiful scenery that you actually started taken it for granted after a while.   Also, we were right next door to you in cabin 5050.    JohnEB

Two more pictures.  Both of these were taken as we made our way back down from the Arctic Circle.  I asked one of the crew members what the structure in the middle of the water was, and he said it was a fishing processing station.   JohnEB

2S9A9680 scene c.jpg

2S9A9746e scene c.jpg

48 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

A few more....

IMG_0784_original.JPG

IMG_1020_original.JPG

Not us, we were in 3040, handy for the theatre, only 1 flight down. It was on the stairs down that day we saw a lady have a major panic attack and the crew managed to get her away and I guess settle her down, in the whole 24hours plus that was the only incident like that we saw.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:02 AM, johneb2 said:

We were in cabin 5050 on NL cruise

OK....sort of thought you were our 'neighbors' 🙂 Thanks for more pictures! I don't think we got to spend much time wallking around in Narvik being that we were at Polar Park most of the day. 

On 3/3/2021 at 12:44 PM, Haworth said:

It was on the stairs down that day we saw a lady have a major panic attack and the crew managed to get her away and I guess settle her down, in the whole 24hours plus that was the only incident like that we saw.

Wow....and think how many similar such cases there probably were that none of us here even knew about

Interesting about the fishing processing station - don't recall seeing that. 

Anyway.....a few more pics.....

Here is how it all started, for us anyway...

IMG_0537_original.JPG

Hoped to see the Munch exhibit in the museum but it was closed!  😟

IMG_0562_original.JPG

From the Viking Museum...

IMG_0609_original.JPG

I found this most interesting. It is still my belief that the events of 3/23 could possibly have been avoided or at least mitigated. After we got home, for probably months afterwards I scoured the internet for as many pics as I could find that were storm-related, plus pictures of the ship taken by other vessels, or from people on shore, or else aerial shots from the CHC. I think something inside me felt the need to document as complete a recollection of it as possible. 

PQUD54DJ55EZXOLJ3H3TQI5TI4.PNG_original.jpg

And yet here was the official forecast onboard the morning of the 23rd (??)

IMG_1000_original.JPG

This is one of my favorites showing how close we truly were to land

2019-03-23T163658Z_1594754783_RC11EDF80880_RTRMADP_3_NORWAY-SHIP_original.jpg

This one is really intriguing....

D2W02vkXQAA0tsx_original.jpg

Edited by OnTheJourney

19 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

OK....sort of thought you were our 'neighbors' 🙂 Thanks for more pictures! I don't think we got to spend much time wallking around in Narvik being that we were at Polar Park most of the day. 

Wow....and think how many similar such cases there probably were that none of us here even knew about

Interesting about the fishing processing station - don't recall seeing that. 

Anyway.....a few more pics.....

Here is how it all started, for us anyway...

IMG_0537_original.JPG

Hoped to see the Munch exhibit in the museum but it was closed!  😟

IMG_0562_original.JPG

From the Viking Museum...

IMG_0609_original.JPG

I found this most interesting. I still feel the events of 3/23 could (should?) have been avoided or at least mitigated. After we got home, for probably months afterwards I scoured the internet for as many pics as I could find that were storm-related, plus pictures of the ship taken by other vessels, or from people on shore, or else aerial shots from the CHC. I think something inside me felt the need to document as complete a recollection of it as possible. 

PQUD54DJ55EZXOLJ3H3TQI5TI4.PNG_original.jpg

And yet here was the official forecast onboard the morning of the 23rd (??)

IMG_1000_original.JPG

This is one of my favorites showing how close we truly were to land

2019-03-23T163658Z_1594754783_RC11EDF80880_RTRMADP_3_NORWAY-SHIP_original.jpg

This one is really intriguing....

D2W02vkXQAA0tsx_original.jpg

Interesting seeing the last picture as onboard we had no idea how close we were, we were all surprised once the big tug was connected that they announced that we would be going out to sea and then turn, all made sense once we understood how close we were to the rocks.

14 minutes ago, Haworth said:

we had no idea how close we were,

You bet.....reports were that we were within a ship's length of land (or at least rocks).

The sign from lunch was still up on the board in this picture. OK....I think that's probably enough of reliving that day in pictures! I suspect I have close to a hundred images I've found from various sources.

Saddest one is probably seeing how all those glass display cases were smashed on the upper tier of the lounge - that held all the different ship models. Can't even imagine how they got that ship cleaned up and ready to sail so soon afterwards. Got that one by taking a screen shot of a video. Admittedly I was a bit obsessed with it all I suppose. 

0_Terror-on-the-seas-Inside-Viking-Sky-1_original.jpg

Screen Shot_original.jpeg

Edited by OnTheJourney