Guaranteed Cabins

Smitheroo

My decision to book a voyage on the QM2 in 2013 was sudden. I found what I thought was a good fare for a voyage about 2 months ahead. It was for a "guaranteed cabin" and i had no idea what that meant.  The TA made it sound like it was of no concern.  I've been reading about people's opinion of guaranteed cabins on this forum and they dont seem too popular. I can understand why now.  However, I am almost sure I was offered an "upgrade" but at a price. Since I had done no research on deck plans I just kept what I had.  From what I read here, it seems like when you are given an upgrade you have no choice but to accept it.  I just went with it, didnt want to spend anymore money. It turned out fine. The voyage was in January, right after the holidays. The ship wasnt crowded and I dont think I even had people in the cabins around me. The laundromatte was a few doors down and I did hear a lot of chit chat but only during the day. The first night I heard a repetitive sound in the walls like a toilet flushing and I thought hmmmm, not sure about this. But either it stopped or I grew used to it because I dont remember hearing it again.  Two ladies I met were given a cabin under the disco. They got it changed to another.  Was I just lucky getting a guaranteed cabin that was acceptable to me?  I understand why some people cant be too flexible for various reasons.    I was hardly ever in the cabin except to sleep so as long as it wasnt noisy then I was ok with it.    I am thinking of booking again and I might have splurged on one of the single cabins but none were available for Jan 3, 2022 and that is when I want to go. So I'm going the cheaper way again.     

Hi, Smitheroo.

I can't tell for sure, but based on your posting history, it looks like you will be booking under the terms and conditions for the United States. If that's the case, you can indeed save by booking a guarantee fare using what the Cunard US website calls a "Limited Time Fare". That means Cunard will assign you a cabin in whatever grade of cabin you select or any higher cabin grade. You will need to happy with whatever cabin Cunard eventually assigns you in that case.

Also be aware that a "Limited Time Fare" in the US comes with a non-refundable deposit while the higher "Cruise Fare" normally comes with a refundable deposit. You may want to check into that further if it is important for you to not lose your deposit if you need to cancel prior to the cancellation penalty date (which would be September 5, 2021 for your January 3, 2022 voyage).

Edit to add: Even if you book a fare that allows you to select a cabin, Cunard may still upgrade you to a different cabin unless you request your booking not be eligible for an upgrade.

Edited by bluemarble

OP states that the TA stated that a Guarantee Cabin is of no concern.

Wow ! Certainly not educated advice or just eager for a booking.
Booking a Category Guarantee is fine if you wish possibly the best rate , have access to the Deck Plans , and willing to accept any cabin in that category and above .

The QM2 has some horribly obstructed balconies on Deck 8 .

I have done guarantees when the suite I wanted was not available, but in the category I minimally wanted to be in Q4. On my last voyage I booked a short Southampton to Hamburg to precede my Hamburg to NYC. Luckily the guarantee turned out to be the same suite I had already selected for Hamburg to NYC.

I used to book Q 5 guarantees and got up graded, three time to Holyrood, a couple of times to a Q4 and once to a Q3 in the front of the ship with no balcony. I didn't like that at all. I have gotten upgrades about 1/3 of the time, so now I book a specific suite or category guarantee. 

As old bear says, the upgrade fairy is not reliable.

I went ahead and paid my depost. The man on the phone said it was not refundable (I knew that) and was I willing to accept an upgrade. I should have mentioned in my post that I booked an inside cabin. Not much can be wrong with it except location and the only thing I would object to would be noise. And who knows, maybe that wouldnt be so bad with ear plugs.  I dont plan to hang out in the cabin in the day time.  The deposit was $214.    Having to pay the single supplement makes higher category cabins out of my reach.   In 2013 I had a inside cabin (guarantee) on Deck 5 if I remember correctly.