Upgrade from Guaranteed cabin

Smitheroo

Ok, since I have reserved a guaranteed cabin and have no idea where it is, could an "upgrade" be any worse?   If I have to accept it then I wont know what my original assignment was.  If they have fewer passengers on board  does that increase the likelihood of a good upgrade?  I posted somewhere else that on my last trip, 1/3/2013 I have memories of receiving an upgrade but there was a charge and I didnt have to accept it.  Does this sound right?  I decided I didnt want to spend any more money but to be honest I dont think I even checked where the upgrade was.  I suppose it would be nice having natural light in the cabin but there will be no sitting on a balcony in January and if it is stormy, seeing and hearing rain pelting on the glass windows could be depressing.  As a solo traveler I really have no objection to an inside cabin. There are plenty of places to sit and watch the ocean. I agree if you want to have happy hours and such a bigger cabin would be a necessity. I know I would not want a butler!!!  I even told my cabin steward that I would make my own bed, he didnt have to bother and all he needed to do was keep the towels fresh. (so he did that a lot)  I think this time I will try out room service.

You must be willing to accept any upgrade from the Category Guarantee that you booked .

These Free Upgrades (you never pay additional fare) should be more likely if your sailing capacity is limited.

Sounds like OP has too many concerns to be booking  a Guarantee .

Be sure to specify "do not upgrade" when you book a cabin that you wish but the cruise line will always have the right to change your cabin and category if they wish.

Smitheroo, I believe you have booked an inside guarantee on QM2 which in effect is a category IF guarantee. If so, that means Cunard could theoretically assign you any cabin on the ship since every cabin is category IF or better. Of course your chances of being assigned a cabin in the grills is extremely low, but being assigned an oceanview or balcony cabin is not out of the question.

Being offered an upgrade where there is a charge involved and you can decline the upgrade is a different process from receiving your cabin assignment based on a guaranteed booking. I've heard that being offered an upgrade for a charge happens occasionally and it sounds like that happened to you in 2013. That has never happened to us though. Most upgrades from a given cabin assignment to a higher category are complimentary (if your booking indicates you will accept an upgrade) and you cannot decline those upgrades.

Hope this helps to further clarify the process.

Thank you all, that answers my question.    I have no requirements for a cabin except for no "obnoxious noise".   (which I guess is subjective lol)   Yes, I remember the man on this recent booking on the phone refer to category 1F and also confirmed that I was willing to accept an upgrade (necessary for this type of booking).   I cant remember the details from 2013 which was through an Expedia representative, the one who told me a guarantee cabin is of no concern. (which was kind of true for me although he didnt know that, I had just asked "what does that mean") 

The only complaints I’ve heard of with upgrades are those who find themselves in an obstructed balcony stateroom on QM2. But if going from an inside to an obstructed view I wouldn’t see that as too bad. 

Cunard has been pretty generous with upgrades in the past. My favourite was my double upgrade on QM2 from Q6 to Q5 then again to Q1. 

Yes, I figure starting out with a guaranteed cabin any upgrade couldnt be worse. even if they switched me from a decent inside guarantee to an undesirable one I wouldnt know.   The one I had in 2013 was fine. I would even have welcomed bunk beds lol.  

If you are the kind of traveller who cares a lot about the location - near the lifts or not near the lifts, ditto the laundry, ditto any facilities on the ship that you intend to use a lot, then don’t volunteer for an upgrade.  If you don’t mind about such things, then go for it; the upgraded cabin will be better in the round, and you’re not paying for it.  Any consequential downsides you just take as part of the deal.

On my 2019 TAs I booked cabins at the rear of the ship beneath the kennels, as I had a dog with me and knew I’d be going up and down to the kennels multiple times every day.  On one of them I got upgraded to an accessible window cabin at the front of the ship.  I enjoyed having the window (although not so much that I would have paid for it, given that there is only sea to look at and I spent no time in there), but I did do a massive amount of walking the entire length of the ship back and forth, that week.