Ideas for Fantasy 2.0 Class

Maddox121

On 1/2/2021 at 8:00 PM, Maddox121 said:

Mobile, on the other hand, generally just can't fit any bigger than Fantasy ships.

Mobile received Carnival Triumph when she had her infamous “poop cruise” so ships larger than Fantasy class ships can dock there. The terminal is small with limited parking, but they’ve been using overflow parking serviced by shuttle busses. 

With that said, I do feel that Mobile would be one of the first ports to go as Fantasy class ships continue to cross the rainbow bridge. It’s a shame since it’s such a convenient port of embarkation, and closest to those of us who live in the Atlanta metropolitan area. Our last Carnival cruise was from Mobile aboard the Fantasy in 2019, and the convenience and welcoming and friendly personnel more than made up for the poor condition that the Fantasy was in. As much as we enjoyed sailing from there, we agreed that we most likely won’t return until Carnival or another cruise line brings a newer, more modern ship with better itineraries than the short milk runs to Cozumel. 

• Like 1

Mobile may become more practical for ships larger than the Fantasy class after the channel between the port and the Gulf is widened so ships can safely pass in opposite directions and the turning basin is enlarged in 2024 or 2025. I think at least two Fantasy Class ships will remain in the fleet for several more years to serve Mobile and Jacksonville. Carnival will need every dollar they can generate after cruises restart (I predict July 2021) to pay down the debt from the virus and the newest ships as quickly as possible.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:04 PM, firefly333 said:

Havent they said the bigger ships are more profitable with lower capacity? I think mardi gras will be the first ship that uses a different kind of power that runs cleaner. All lines are selling off their smaller ships because they are less profitable and turning to newer bigger ships with more pay options. Like the Havana area. 

The chances they will build smaller ships again is slim to zero when the profit trend is toward bigger more profitable ships. Sorry but I think you got this backwards. Yes, they have said first ships to sail will be the larger ships, because they are more profitable to run.

I think it all depends what the definition of "smaller ships" is. I don't believe we will ever see Carnival make a new ship that is the same size as the Fantasy. However, do we potentially see something new between the lines of Conquest and Dream-ish eventually? I think so. 

It is not feasible to put a Mardi Gras everywhere, but we will see more of them where it makes sense. There is no way it will become an all-or-nothing thing. You can't expect every port to magically be able to accept this type of ship. You also can't drop some of those ports completely and expect to grow your business. Fantasy class doesn't quite cut it for these exotic itineraries either, especially not forever.

24 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

However, do we potentially see something new between the lines of Conquest and Dream-ish eventually? I think so. 

I think so too and I think they should be Spirit Class ships that run on LNG. 

560-large-a9a6653e48976138166de32772b1bf

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 2

Jax port has been home to numerous Fantasy ships and the Carnival Miracle.  They all are capable of going under the bridge. But that is not the future.  If Jax wants to keep the cruise industry they must move the cruise port to the other side of the bridge.  Then they could have various sizes of cruise ships.  With all that said, the truth is the city and the port authority  does not want to send the money to make that happen.

• Like 1

Personally, the main reason wasn't the ports, it was really the nostalgia factor. I mean, there's just something about the Fantasy class that just screams nostalgia, could it be the early 90s decor? Who knows?

With 90s Nostalgia in full swing, i could see Carnival revisit what's now the "medium budget market" with the smaller ships.

1 hour ago, Maddox121 said:

With 90s Nostalgia in full swing, i could see Carnival revisit what's now the "medium budget market" with the smaller ships.

They have 4 Fantasy Class ships left in the fleet to service the secondary markets and it could always be supplemented if need be with the Spirit Class ships.

I believe the construction of any new ship in the fleet under 100 K tons is well in the rear view mirror.

13 hours ago, Maddox121 said:

And honestly, it's still nice today, even though i was born in 2004, i'm a killer for vintage and nostalgia.

There are ports with restrictions because of limitations like bridges. Tampa and others. So a longer ship with lower height can be built with more weight. And with modern technology and better use of public spaces can be priced for the budget conscience. Spirit class or Destiny/Conquest class with the top chopped off may work. A 90 or 100 thousand ton ship replacing the Fantasy class will prosper. 

I would kinda like the Fantasy 2.0 class to be a tad bit longer. I would also kinda see Fantasy 2.0 class maybe be a "wiener" ship, with length over height, although i wouldn't like it because it wouldn't be a true Fantasy class.

5 minutes ago, Maddox121 said:

I would kinda like the Fantasy 2.0 class to be a tad bit longer. I would also kinda see Fantasy 2.0 class maybe be a "wiener" ship, with length over height, although i wouldn't like it because it wouldn't be a true Fantasy class.

Fantasy Class was the last one built with mostly ocean views with few balconies. That can be more budget conscious. They fit in ports with issues on larger ships. The Lido Deck on the Fantasy Ships I like better then the Destiny/Conquest ones. They seem to be cluttered. However that would not be a cruise choice killer for me. 

True, i have been on the Valor, the Fantasy and the Ecstasy, and the Lido deck seems sad on the Valor compared to the Fantasy ships.

Also, more balconies would come to the 2.0 ships (with Verandah, Empress, Upper, some of Main and or Grand if Carnival chooses being the hotspots)

19 hours ago, Maddox121 said:

Personally, the main reason wasn't the ports, it was really the nostalgia factor. I mean, there's just something about the Fantasy class that just screams nostalgia, could it be the early 90s decor? Who knows?

Nostalgia is a great thing. In the hustle and bustle of life, it is always nice to be reminded of a simpler time, and great memories. Nothing wrong with that.

Cruising was no where near as big in the 90s and it is today. These ships just aren't nostalgic to the vast majority of people because they weren't sailing them, and many who did, aren't alive today. For all of the people who post on here why companies like Carnival need these ships, their low fares prove that they are not in high demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Nostalgia is a great thing. In the hustle and bustle of life, it is always nice to be reminded of a simpler time, and great memories. Nothing wrong with that.

Cruising was no where near as big in the 90s and it is today. These ships just aren't nostalgic to the vast majority of people because they weren't sailing them, and many who did, aren't alive today. For all of the people who post on here why companies like Carnival need these ships, their low fares prove that they are not in high demand.

Those ships are for the masses. And they are not that bad. People go for different reasons. To party to go on excursions. To explore other lands in ports. To go to the beaches in many areas. To stay on the ship and relax. Most all enjoy looking at the ocean and the serenity it provides. Affordability has helped to cause the massive expansion of cruising. Combining the gratuities and the slow loss of what was normally standard for cruisers as part of it at one time needs to be addressed properly though.

My thoughts on the Fantasy class are quite simple:  I stopped sailing them 12 years or so ago because they seemed old back then.  My preference is for newer and larger ships.

I realize this class has many devotees and wish them great sailings on these ships.  I just won't be aboard one of them.

Isn't it great that there is such a variety of sailing options that people can choose from?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, evandbob said:

My thoughts on the Fantasy class are quite simple:  I stopped sailing them 12 years or so ago because they seemed old back then.  My preference is for newer and larger ships.

I realize this class has many devotees and wish them great sailings on these ships.  I just won't be aboard one of them.

Isn't it great that there is such a variety of sailing options that people can choose from?

Could not agree more.  That's why there is vanilla and chocolate.   The Fantasy Class ships served their purpose back in the day because that was all we knew.  Nowadays they serve the secondary markets and the 3/4 booze cruises.

But for me, they're in the rearview mirror. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, xDisconnections said:

Your point? The OP clearly has a passion for Carnival and is using his creativity to discuss a topic he enjoys. His thoughts shouldn’t be invalidated because of his age. There was a time when I was in a similar age group and blindly loved all things Carnival. 

I hope that age isn't a disqualifier to be a cruise enthusiast and dreamer. I became one before I turned 10 years old. I had my own "made up" cruise line and I'd build cruise ships out of Legos. I would even create pamphlets and brochures for my cruise line by hand, LOL. 

• Like 1