The Incident

msd1

What do you mean Princess owes you the truth? A roll greater than expected. How come what people say is a lie unless you want to believe them, then it is the truth.

I agree with you statement about not being intentional. About all I liked from your post. Somewhere along the line as Americans we think we always have to assess blame. It will always be someones fault, someone will always be lying to us.

Well, unless you were there you have no idea what we are talking about. I have an inkling you are trying to get this post deleted so I am not going to respond to you any further. I know you don't like my post because you obviously don't like anyone saying anything bad about Princess. You were not there, I was. I know the truth of what happened, you do not. All you have is passenger comments which you contnually try to discredit. You don't want to hear factual and accurate accounts of the event, that's fine. But again, we were there you were not.

Btw, I never said Princess lied to us, I said they owe us an explanation as to why there was no warning given and information as to how far we did tip over. All we have now is heresay.

hi cnmiranda! We did meet - very briefly in the internet cafe. :D

Hmmm. People's lives NOT in danger??? A kitchen worker injured so badly that he or she was taken off in a stretcher???

We're wasting my our time Quinby. Anyone that reads news articles are any of the 10+ passenger comments knows how serious it was. This is a person trying to have fun with us in order to get the post pulled.

Please don't fall into it folks, I know it's hard! But the story needs to be told:)

So Grand Princess passengers lets try not to take the bait:) We know what the truth is:)

Glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound. So Quinby, will you be cruising again in the future? We have a Rccl cruise coming up in May, Pacific Coastal.

cnmiranda,

As a passanger on the ship, that means you were there. It means you experienced what happend. It doesn't remotely mean you know what happened. I can watch a Dr operate on someone, that doesn't mean I qualified to report on what happened.

I don't care what is said bad about Princess or any other Cruise line. I care about the bashing of the integrity of the Captain and Crew. That is wrong, and that is what I detest. The Captain and Crew have to go in front of an inquiry, but not you. Your lack of Navigational and Leadership skills in the same situation makes you unqualified to lay blame on the Ships Crew.

Remember you are a passanger, not the Captain of the ship.

Oh, okay. I see Quinby you are sailing the Diamond in May. We have sailed her twice. There used to be a few themed dining rooms but they appear to be changed to regular dining room menus at this time? If it is still a menu item the Vivaldi dining room has a really good tri-colored pasta, it used to be our favorite Princess meal. The architecture is the themed dining rooms is gorgeous:)

Yes, I'm off to Alaska in May. :D My first cool-weather cruise.

If you have any questions just ask! My email is also cnmiranda@yahoo.com. We did the Diamond in Alaska May 2 years ago. Got to see bears and eagles and all sorts of wildlife, the pictures....you make me want to return:) Did all the ship's excursions too so if you need any info just ask.

I have to go with cnmiranda on this one. It's simply not worth the time and effort. Although he did come back with some technical ship handling probabilites, he wasn't there, so it's just a more educated guess.

How, or why, it happened is something with which the authorities, and the Princess upper echelon will have to deal. Aside from venting to each other here, we can do nothing to change what happened.

I think what disturbs me most is how the situation was handled after the event. It seemed to many of us that the captain and crew were more interested in covering their collective a**es than in the effect on the passengers. Why? In MY OPINION:

1. There should have been a room-to-room search immediately afterwards to see if any passengers were injured, and unable to let anyone know. TV's came flying off the shelf in many rooms. Other things went flying. Things came crashing to the floor in the dining rooms. The shops were decimated. People WERE injured. No effort was made to assure that everyone was OK.

2. An emergency center should have been established (maybe at the pursers desk?), and an announcement should have been made, informing passengers in need of help.

3. The only announcements made were that everything was "normal," and second seating dinner might be delayed. Nothing was normal about the severe motion of the ship.

4. They told us we were never in any danger. Tell that to the people who had things in their cabin or dining room turn into projectiles. Tell that to my wife, as she was picking herself up off of the floor in the shower. The damage, and potential for injuries was IMMEDIATELY evident. The captain and crew totally mishandled the situation.

Again, we'll never know the truth. Let the lawyers fight it out. In the meantime, I'll cruise with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean in the future.

We're wasting my our time Quinby. Anyone that reads news articles are any of the 10+ passenger comments knows how serious it was. This is a person trying to have fun with us in order to get the post pulled.

Please don't fall into it folks, I know it's hard! But the story needs to be told:)

So Grand Princess passengers lets try not to take the bait:) We know what the truth is:)

Glad to hear everyone is home safe and sound. So Quinby, will you be cruising again in the future? We have a Rccl cruise coming up in May, Pacific Coastal.

You're so right. As they say "Please don't feed the Trolls":D

I know how scary it can be. A few years ago I was on a cruise (Royal Cruise Line--I think it was the Royal Odyssey) where there was a series of sudden severe lists (in this case, the scuttlebut was that it was because of stabilizer problems--apparently only one side deployed). I was in the theater in the bottom of the ship (deck 1) and the piano fell over even way down there. The curtains over the movie screen swayed a good 45 degrees over the screen. A passenger was almost swept overboard when the pool emptied, but a deck steward grabbed her before she went over. Lots of broken glass then too. I don't think our lists were as severe as the one on the Grand though.

I don't think that anyone actually believes this was intentional, but that does not nullify Princess of any liability.

If, as some have suggested, this was not caused by "human error", but was due to some mechanical problem (although, any mechanical problems would basically = human error in my opinion), then why did they not go back to Galveston, unload the ship and do a more thorough evaluation and repair???

Was the Captain and resonsible crew members removed from the ship and replaced by another captain/crew???? Or, did they finish out the cruise??

I also wonder how many passengers got off the ship at it's first port, never to return??? This would be very telling to me. Notice many empty seats in the dining room after this event???

We have been considering cruising the Grand, but after this event, I must say I will stick with Rhapsody!!

I don't think that anyone actually believes this was intentional, but that does not nullify Princess of any liability.

If, as some have suggested, this was not caused by "human error", but was due to some mechanical problem (although, any mechanical problems would basically = human error in my opinion), then why did they not go back to Galveston, unload the ship and do a more thorough evaluation and repair???

Was the Captain and resonsible crew members removed from the ship and replaced by another captain/crew???? Or, did they finish out the cruise??

I also wonder how many passengers got off the ship at it's first port, never to return??? This would be very telling to me. Notice many empty seats in the dining room after this event???

We have been considering cruising the Grand, but after this event, I must say I will stick with Rhapsody!!

This article, in which Julie Benton (director of PR for Princess) is heavily quoted, answers some of your questions:

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=b2666a262c5c7d4d

I can't imagine how frightening this must have been for those onboard. When I read about the accounts, one stands out. It was the description of the arcade. Someone posted that the arcade games were tipped over and some even pulled from the walls. That to me is a big "list". Arcade games are very heavy and stable. They have to be because children are usually the ones playing them. Typically they have very sturdy bases. Scary!

4. They told us we were never in any danger. Tell that to the people who had things in their cabin or dining room turn into projectiles. Tell that to my wife, as she was picking herself up off of the floor in the shower. The damage, and potential for injuries was IMMEDIATELY evident. The captain and crew totally mishandled the situation.

Yes, we were in the Horizon Court when the Captain? made the announcement on Sunday. He said "The ship was never in danger". Everyone around us at the same time all said the same thing. "The ship was never in danger, what about the passengers?"

I found that really odd but again I chalk that up to not saying too much as to avoid a lawsuit.

Thanks so much for linking that new article Beth! We are saving all the news articles to go along with the map and signed officer's names we purchased while on board:)

c_galle, or if you wish Captain Bly :rolleyes: , you were not THERE, I was. Now some folks might be stretching it, but in my VERY humble opinion we did experience a list between 15 and 20 degrees, regardless of reason or intention. I base this number, true a wide range, on my understanding of ships, boats and oddly enough aircraft. How much of a roll could She take? I don't really know, do not have specs for a Princess Grand class ship, though I am sure someone is looking for them on the Net right now.

That said, even if I find you unpleasant Chief, thank you for your service to my Country.

Hey fellow cruiser~

Just to put a stop to the false rumor, there WAS a critical heart patient aboard the ship that became ill prior to the "incident". I was also on board, with 2 other paramedics and an EMT. The medical team did a great job resucitating the patient, so the evacuation from the ship was necessary, although the means by which was...hazardous!

Wow, thanks for the article link. It sounds as if they are taking full responsibility for the mistake, and are not blaming it on a mechanical problem. So, I am actually amazed that the Captain is still running that ship!! I think that is a very poor decision by Princess. Would you get on a ship knowing this Captain was at the helm???? Certainly not me!!!!!!!!!

Hey fellow cruiser~

Just to put a stop to the false rumor, there WAS a critical heart patient aboard the ship that became ill prior to the "incident". I was also on board, with 2 other paramedics and an EMT. The medical team did a great job resucitating the patient, so the evacuation from the ship was necessary, although the means by which was...hazardous!

And just where did you guys go? Could have used you boys 14th/15th deck midship! :D

Hey fellow cruiser~

Hi FWFD570, welcome to cruise critic! I think all of us onboard know there was a heart patient at this point. I read your first post, thanks for sharing. I look forward to adding some video from the event in a few days. Again, welcome to this website, and thanks for helping someone that was sick onboard (from your previous post):)

There's lots of posts here about the incident, read up when you have time if you're interrested! So, enquiring minds want to know.... will you cruise again and will you cruise Princess again? I answered prior but in my case it is "yes" and "yes":) Varied responses so far.

(I just finished serving as the Executive Officer for my local US Power Squadron). I GIVE courses on navigation, and have taken an Advanced Piloting course.

Captlou-

What Squadon are you with? I am a P/C of Tampa Power Squadron. I too have completed AP and got about half way through Jr. Navigation when the Instructor dropped out! My roomie has 100,000 ton CG license and is also a P/C of Tampa. We had similar experiences with heel. One was on the Regal in Alaska-she made a hard turn to avoid a fishing boat. Things went flying in the middle of the night-I just rolled over and went back to sleep. The other was on a Carnival ship when we hit a "white out". I was in the buffet area and a LOT of dishes etc went overboard. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. Stuff happens and boats move.

I would have had my video camera out & taping, sounds like it would have been cool, scary, but cool. We were on Disney Magic and when it was decided to omit Grand Cayman apparently we did something like that. Now this was when everyone was sleeping, but I was talking to someone who was awake & on deck.

Captlou-

What Squadon are you with? I am a P/C of Tampa Power Squadron. I too have completed AP and got about half way through Jr. Navigation when the Instructor dropped out! My roomie has 100,000 ton CG license and is also a P/C of Tampa. We had similar experiences with heel. One was on the Regal in Alaska-she made a hard turn to avoid a fishing boat. Things went flying in the middle of the night-I just rolled over and went back to sleep. The other was on a Carnival ship when we hit a "white out". I was in the buffet area and a LOT of dishes etc went overboard. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you. Stuff happens and boats move.

Westchester PS. They tried to get me to be Commander the last two years, but I didn't feel that I had the time to do it the way I would want. Work comes first; I need to make money to travel!

I've been in rough seas, and have seen damage caused by rolling ships (not to mention what happens in the cabin of my boat when we hit 5-6 footers), but I've never seen anything like the mess that we had last week.

Boat safe, boat smart.... and cruise!

Westchester PS. They tried to get me to be Commander the last two years, but I didn't feel that I had the time to do it the way I would want. Work comes first; I need to make money to travel!

Boat safe, boat smart.... and cruise!

Is That Westchester Ct, VA or NY?

Obviously I made a mistake in my roomie's CG License-it's 100 tons. That's what I get for trying to type in a hurry before the boss comes by. :D

Being Commander is not too bad-just surround yourself with excellent people and turn them loose.

Happy Cruising!

Archived