The Incident

msd1

Can somebody tell me why the national news people haven't pick up on this if it indeed makes the "Wave" last year pale by comparison and was as severe and near death for thousands as is being reported. I'm not saying it wasn't, I just can't figure out why the national media who have been very antagonistic towards the cruise industry of late isn't making hay out of this?:confused:

Hi Madelinerose, I don't think you need to be concerened with your cabin choice. We were on the Grand during the incident sitting on our balcony on lido deck guess that's the 14th floor. From our position we could look down on all balconies on our side. Although scary for a few minutes no one appeared to be extra close to the water. What amazed me was the waterfall coming from the pool and spa , it did hit some lower balconies. I talked to one of the passengers that got sprayed he said he didn't have to shower that night. Also had two friends getting a massage at the time

they told us bottles were falling around them and the massage beds rolled against the wall, but not much they could do being naked and all, and the massage was great. The crew was professional and very closed mouth. I only wish the Captain or someone had made the annoucement we were going to turn around before we did. Still would of happened but maybe the employees would of been better prepared and not so banged up. I would go again in a heart beat, it was our second cruise the first was to Alaska.:)

Can somebody tell me why the national news people haven't pick up on this if it indeed makes the "Wave" last year pale by comparison and was as severe and near death for thousands as is being reported. I'm not saying it wasn't, I just can't figure out why the national media who have been very antagonistic towards the cruise industry of late isn't making hay out of this?:confused:

Too busy capturing the VP shooting incident, I suppose:D

Hmm, let's think about it a minute. Remember that unfortunate gentleman that is suspected of being murdered on Royal Caribbean from this past year's sailing in the Greek Isles? Why aren't the tv reporters all over RCCL for not thouroughly investigating the crime scene and such (topics of many other cc debates). Well the story isn't THAT big. If someone had passed during this past week's incident I'm sure the story would have been all over the place but right now there's other much more important topics out there than an "almost" incident I think. It did make the local and Houston news though.

cnmiranda been following your posts ..from the grand.....so glad you guys all made it home i cant believe how calm,cool,collected your responses have been to posts that were not very nice to you guys...i have been reading and fuming at the same time....anyway never posted to you before i am Louiesqueen from niagara falls canada eh,my husband took me on a romantic cruise for our 25th..island princess la/hawaii/return jan 6-jan 21 this was our first cruise and we never had a bad scare like all you guys did...but i even caught myself sitting up in bed suddenly when we had 25ft swells,the ship creaks...im still amazed at that anyway i would be in a panic till it settled down...so i can bet some people would be scared out of their minds...hope your next cruise is on smooth water with no captain u turn carter lol anyway please been following since you left THE VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO PLease cant wait to see it. Susan St.Louis

cnmiranda been following your posts ..from the grand.....so glad you guys all made it home i cant believe how calm,cool,collected your responses have been to posts that were not very nice to you guys...i have been reading and fuming at the same time....anyway never posted to you before i am Louiesqueen from niagara falls canada eh,my husband took me on a romantic cruise for our 25th..island princess la/hawaii/return jan 6-jan 21 this was our first cruise and we never had a bad scare like all you guys did...but i even caught myself sitting up in bed suddenly when we had 25ft swells,the ship creaks...im still amazed at that anyway i would be in a panic till it settled down...so i can bet some people would be scared out of their minds...hope your next cruise is on smooth water with no captain u turn carter lol anyway please been following since you left THE VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO PLease cant wait to see it. Susan St.Louis

Hi Louiesqueen, thanks so much for reading! Yes, the video is still on it's way, please see the latest post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=297177&page=2

So a Canuck, huh? I've loved all of our visits to Canada, Canadians are so friendly! My parents spent their honeymoon at Niagra Falls but I've never been. Definitely part of our "to do" list:) If you ever visit Las Vegas give me a hollar:)

I have been interested reading the threads on the "Grand Incident". I wondered why I was so interested and came to the conclusion it may be that I have had many experiences such as described by those passengers on board the Grand that day of the "turn".

I served 35 years in the Navy, 18 of those years on many different ships at sea. I know exactly how you passengers must have felt. There were times when my ship would roll over from a maneuver or rough weather and I would inwardly say to myself (our out loud).. "come on ! come back up", and, she always did, while we all held on to something...And, yes there was some fear there.:eek:

Although I was always on the bridge of my ship when I was "on watch", I have no idea nor would I want to guess what happened on the bridge of the Grand that day.

I will say this: On most occassions that our ship was going to make a excessive turn the captain (or Officer Of The Watch) would announce on the PA system that the ship is about to make a hard turn to Port (or Stbd). This announcement would not be made when we were conducting exercises as "hard turns" are expected under these circumstances.

For all of you who were on board that day, I do not doubt your fear at that moment.... I thank you for sharing it.:)

New subject: I do not understand why "threads" are "pulled". Shouldn't anyone be allowed to express there own opinions? therfore, allowing the rest of us to make our own conclusions....?:confused:

Congratulations Scuttle-Butt, you're the first ex-Navy person on this forum to admit that those sea maneuvers were scary. Welcome to the forum.

I, for one invite all opinions and disagreements (Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong) that one would expect in an open forum. However, there are those who are either nasty and/or confrontational, and end up turning a discussion into a fight. It seems that there are also those who intentionally engage in "flaming" for the purpose of getting a thread pulled. Go figure.....

I will say this: On most occassions that our ship was going to make a excessive turn the captain (or Officer Of The Watch) would announce on the PA system that the ship is about to make a hard turn to Port (or Stbd). This announcement would not be made when we were conducting exercises as "hard turns" are expected under these circumstances.

Besides exercises, were there any other occasions that an announcement wasn't made? In an emergency, avoid another boat etc would be understandable, I guess.

IMHO, here it was a case of total and complete negligence not to take an extra 30 seconds for an announcement about the planned to turn for the medical emergency. Injuries WOULD have been avoided.

To answer slf200....

Announcements were never made during the "silent hours" when the majority of the crew were sleeping. I do remember during the night, when in my bunk, the ship rolling over hard.. However, we do have these "sissy bars" to keep us in our bunks:o :p

Archived