Queen Elizabeth QG Suite Decision

DaisyUK

Hi again, wondering whether I can get some further advice... we have a choice of the Grand Suite (aft, deck 6) or Master Suite (midship, deck 7). I'm leaning towards the Grand Suite, but would appreciate any advice/thoughts.

There isn’t too much of a price differential so it’s a matter of choice really. 

Never stayed in a Q1 as we book the Master on both Victoria and Elizabeth out of preference as it’s mid ships and on stairwell B which has the lift shaft for decks 11and12 so no hiking involved getting to the Grills decks. Having  been to many a drinks do in the 1s, if the sea is at all lumpy, you’ll feel it there so if you suffer from motion sickness, go for the Master suite. If not, the Q1 is a lovely bright area to hang out in.

Both are great choices.

Thanks for the reply. A question on the Master: on Cunard's website, when I am in the sailing itself, the Master room plan shows 2 separate rooms for the bedroom and living room. However, during the booking process, if I select the Master it shows it as being more like a Junior Suite, with the bed and living area in the same room. Can you advise which floorplan is correct?

10 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Thanks for the reply. A question on the Master: on Cunard's website, when I am in the sailing itself, the Master room plan shows 2 separate rooms for the bedroom and living room. However, during the booking process, if I select the Master it shows it as being more like a Junior Suite, with the bed and living area in the same room. Can you advise which floorplan is correct?

Walk in through the double doors and you have a lovely spacious  living area with the sofa bed.  The dining and mini kitchen area is slightly separated by a half wall. The dining area has a door and window onto the balcony.

Walk through the door just before the dining area and you enter the dressing room which also has a door onto the balcony.

Walk through the dressing room and you have the bedroom which does not have a door from the dressing room area.

The bathroom, which is huge is accessed from the bedroom and carrying on round, the loo is separate from the bathroom. Carrying on round [think circular route] you go through the powder room [very small corridor room] and back into the main living area,

The bedroom is completely cocooned  as it's sort of centred in the suite.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Great, thank you, it does. Cunard's website does it no favours! The pic in the booking process clearly shows the bed and living area in the same room, separated by a curtain. Thanks again..

Daisy,  I have just looked and if you look on the UK Cunard website, the image gallery of the Master suite has a bird's eye view of the whole suite as well as some photos. The only slight area which might be misleading is the actual door from the  dining area doesn't show very well. You  can follow my mapping skills with that diagram.

Victoria, thank you so much for taking the time. I did find the images you referred to and your description in your previous post makes perfect sense. It is obviously a glitch in Cunard's system that when you go to book the room, the images which come up are of a different suite. 

Now, it's decision time. I'm tempted towards the Master as I like the location and layout and it looks as if the balcony is a little deeper, even though it does not wrap around. However, my husband prefers the Grand, because of the wraparound balcony and we have enjoyed being aft and looking back over the wake on previous cruises. Neither of us has any issue with motion sickness. However, we have never been on a ship as big as the QE, and therefore the location might be a bit of a pain. I guess we'll figure it out! Thanks again for your help, which is very much appreciated😊

On 1/5/2021 at 2:31 PM, DaisyUK said:

Victoria, thank you so much for taking the time. I did find the images you referred to and your description in your previous post makes perfect sense. It is obviously a glitch in Cunard's system that when you go to book the room, the images which come up are of a different suite. 

Now, it's decision time. I'm tempted towards the Master as I like the location and layout and it looks as if the balcony is a little deeper, even though it does not wrap around. However, my husband prefers the Grand, because of the wraparound balcony and we have enjoyed being aft and looking back over the wake on previous cruises. Neither of us has any issue with motion sickness. However, we have never been on a ship as big as the QE, and therefore the location might be a bit of a pain. I guess we'll figure it out! Thanks again for your help, which is very much appreciated😊

Personally, I would always go for the aft Q1 suites. As you say the balcony is great (although not as deep as I would like compared to some ships) and the whole set up works well.  I was last in the Rostron on deck 7 - magnificent.

Thanks for the info and good to hear that you enjoyed the Rostron. We did decide upon the Aft suite in the end. We will be on deck 6 which I think has a slightly deeper balcony than deck 7, but still looks quite narrow. 

37 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Thanks for the info and good to hear that you enjoyed the Rostron. We did decide upon the Aft suite in the end. We will be on deck 6 which I think has a slightly deeper balcony than deck 7, but still looks quite narrow. 

Excellent 

I hope you have a great time and come back and tell us all about it.

1 hour ago, DaisyUK said:

We absolutely love the  aft suites and have had many fantastic cruises on QE and QV I’m sure you will enjoy and savour the whole wonderful experience but be warned you will be well and truly hooked.

The aft suites are great , but not in really heavy weather depends when and where you are going. On our way to South Africa last November had forecast of 9 meter waves for first 3 days.  Turned out to be only  8 meter (25 feet) and 45 knot winds. We were fine midships , but foreward and aft really felt  it. Lots didnt make dinner.

Look up what the probability of big waves are, e.g for Mediterranean  we'd choose aft suite, for UK Capetown,  high chance of big waves either as we leave UK of in South Atlantic  Namibia to Capetown,  so always go midships. 

On 1/10/2021 at 4:46 AM, laktex said:

Personally, I would always go for the aft Q1 suites. As you say the balcony is great (although not as deep as I would like compared to some ships) and the whole set up works well.  I was last in the Rostron on deck 7 - magnificent.

Laktek, We have the Rostron suite for a 14-day Med cruise beginning August 30.  We also considered the Q2, but decided the aft would be ideal in the Med in late summer.  Please, what can you tell me about the suite?  Does it have a butlers pantry next to the dining room or a “snug” room as I have seen in videos of the new Q1 suites on Victoria?  If it’s a butlers pantry, does it have a sink?  What is the bathroom configuration?  Three separate sink areas but only one toilet?  Anything you can share about the suite would be appreciated.

On 1/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, Whirled Peas said:

Laktek, We have the Rostron suite for a 14-day Med cruise beginning August 30.  We also considered the Q2, but decided the aft would be ideal in the Med in late summer.  Please, what can you tell me about the suite?  Does it have a butlers pantry next to the dining room or a “snug” room as I have seen in videos of the new Q1 suites on Victoria?  If it’s a butlers pantry, does it have a sink?  What is the bathroom configuration?  Three separate sink areas but only one toilet?  Anything you can share about the suite would be appreciated.

As you've had no replies so far and although I've never stayed in a 1, I've visited, many times so hopefully can help a bit.

It's almost three years since our last QE cruise but as I don't think the ship has had a makeover,  I can remember the basics. The QE 1s are nothing like the new 1s on Victoria. They're similar if not the same as Victoria's were, pre refit.

No Butlers pantry and no snug. The living area is pretty much open plan. The bathroom doesn't strike any significant memory chords so I am assuming it's a similar set up to the 2 where you have a door from the living area to the loo [singular] as well as the bedroom access. I can't remember how many sinks there were as this is just a basic memory recall. Hope this helps a bit.