Question re European sailings

2 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

Prove it or apologize.

Prove your facts, I'm sure there are plenty of links to do so, after all it's what you last heard "not so long ago"? Oh no there aren't any, there is your proof.

9 hours ago, Trimone said:

What date you going? We are on the 5th but will possibly stay up to a week before within 50 miles

We are on the September 24th sailing, flying in the day before sailing, then staying one night in Venice at the end of the cruise where we disembark 10 days later. 

Read the news people UK has now banned travel to and from  South America and Portugal.

there will be no European Cruises this year. Our lockdown will not even start to be lifted before Easter. Anyone who thinks they will cruise Europe in 2021 is away with the fairies in my view.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:53 PM, NCMtnBoys said:

We're also booked in September 2021 from Barcelona. We booked the NCL BOGO air promo so the airfare price is included in what we're paying to NCL and our flights have not yet been assigned. I also reserved our pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona, but it's cancelable. I just wanted to have my choice of hotels instead of waiting until closer to the cruise and have to settle for what's left. There are 8 of us going (four cabins, four hotel rooms) so my options might have been fewer waiting until closer to the time. Our final payment is due in late May and I've decided that if sailings have resumed worldwide by then and things are going well, I'll make final payment. If not, I'll cancel and get a refund of my deposit. I see no reason to give them a more than $5000 final payment if the writing is on the wall that our sailing will not be going. And any extra incentive to pay and get OBC or an extra cruise credit if they cancel after final payment is of no interest to me.  

I agree! Vaccinations are going pretty slowly right now. I'm ready to get mine, but I think I'll be toward the last group. So here I sit, unvaccinated, waiting and willing while other people in prior groups may not want it. I have a final payment due prior to summer and if the slow vaccinations are playing into future cancelations and uncertainty, I'll be canceling and getting a refund of my deposit instead of making the final payment. 

Spain will not be open before the end of the year .... Covid is still out of control and to think you will cruse out of BCN is fanciful at best. I thin people need to accept that this year is another write off. Really sad but i am staying on our shores as will most cruiselines who are moored just off the south coast.

6 hours ago, bmwman said:

Spain will not be open before the end of the year .... Covid is still out of control and to think you will cruse out of BCN is fanciful at best. I thin people need to accept that this year is another write off. Really sad but i am staying on our shores as will most cruiselines who are moored just off the south coast.

I live in Spain and our numbers are significantly lower than UKs, vaccinations are up and running and people pretty much do as they are told when they are told to lockdown. I am booked on Harmony of the Seas for May 23rd and whilst I accept it may not go I am hopeful that it will. In my opinion before the end of the summer it should be going again even if it is only for EU members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Prove your facts, I'm sure there are plenty of links to do so, after all it's what you last heard "not so long ago"? Oh no there aren't any, there is your proof.

I don`t have to prove anything because i did not claim anything.

I clearly admitted that my information was outdated.i have no problem with that.

(obviously i should find more reliable source).

But still you claim that i mention political statements without any proof.You don`t have to like my opinion but don`t assume something i never said ! I am not responsible for your misinterpretation. at least you should give some arguments for you allegations if you want to be taken seriously.

Back to the actual topic:

You should keep in mind that cruise lines need several months of preparation before they can offer a route. from now on british citizens need a passport to enter the EU. What if cruises were already booked? Do i have to give NCL the passport data if i booked a cruise? Will NCL ask me for the data? Does NCL care at all? Does it make a difference if it is a cruise starting in the EU or starting from southampton to the EU? Will there be passort controls for british citizens when they leave the ship(most likely now but who knows) .

All these questions have to be clarified by NCL. And this is something they couldn`t do before they knew the exact regulations which the EU and the UK have agreed.And they were not published 10 months ago but only approx. 2 weeks ago. thats what i mentioned that the situation is uncertain at the moment,Maybe uncertain was the wrong word but the problem remains the same.

7 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

I don`t have to prove anything because i did not claim anything.

I clearly admitted that my information was outdated.i have no problem with that.

(obviously i should find more reliable source).

But still you claim that i mention political statements without any proof.You don`t have to like my opinion but don`t assume something i never said ! I am not responsible for your misinterpretation. at least you should give some arguments for you allegations if you want to be taken seriously.

Back to the actual topic:

You should keep in mind that cruise lines need several months of preparation before they can offer a route. from now on british citizens need a passport to enter the EU. What if cruises were already booked? Do i have to give NCL the passport data if i booked a cruise? Will NCL ask me for the data? Does NCL care at all? Does it make a difference if it is a cruise starting in the EU or starting from southampton to the EU? Will there be passort controls for british citizens when they leave the ship(most likely now but who knows) .

All these questions have to be clarified by NCL. And this is something they couldn`t do before they knew the exact regulations which the EU and the UK have agreed.And they were not published 10 months ago but only approx. 2 weeks ago. thats what i mentioned that the situation is uncertain at the moment,Maybe uncertain was the wrong word but the problem remains the same.

Everyone who sails NCL has to provide parasport details as part of the online check-in, this is nothing new.
Nobody in the EU could ever sail IN or OUT of the UK without a passport before Brexit and they still can't now, the UK have NERVER had open borders like most of the rest of Europe, if you are going to keep making these statements, please can you check your facts.

Lets try again:

British citizens ALWAYS needed a passport to enter Europe and they still do - NO CHANGE.

European Union citizens ALWAY needed a passport to enter the UK and they still do - NO CHANGE

Just about the only change is you can now only stay visa free for 90 days and that is both ways.

I repeat.... the UK never had open borders with the EU, passports were always needed.

You complain when I call it nonsense, I'm sorry, that's what is is, there is not friendlier way to say it.

22 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

Everyone who sails NCL has to provide parasport details as part of the online check-in, this is nothing new.
Nobody in the EU could ever sail IN or OUT of the UK without a passport before Brexit and they still can't now, the UK have NERVER had open borders like most of the rest of Europe, if you are going to keep making these statements, please can you check your facts.

Lets try again:

British citizens ALWAYS needed a passport to enter Europe and they still do - NO CHANGE.

European Union citizens ALWAY needed a passport to enter the UK and they still do - NO CHANGE

Just about the only change is you can now only stay visa free for 90 days and that is both ways.

I repeat.... the UK never had open borders with the EU, passports were always needed.

You complain when I call it nonsense, I'm sorry, that's what is is, there is not friendlier way to say it.

Wrong on so many levels. But at least some good r/confidentlyincorrect/ stuff.

2 nighters on the Jade in both directions in 2018 was done with government ID only, no passport.

And even now until the 01. October EU citizens can enter UK with a government ID, no passport.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Wrong on so many levels. But at least some good r/confidentlyincorrect/ stuff.

2 nighters on the Jade in both directions in 2018 was done with government ID only, no passport.

And even now until the 01. October EU citizens can enter UK with a government ID, no passport.

I am puzzled by your statement above-what country are you from?

I am in UK and have always had to have a passport to travel abroad ie anywhere outside UK

What government id are you referring to-there is only a UK passport or driving license that qualifies as government id as far as I know and I would be laughed at if I tried to show my driving license at an airport or ferry port 

18 minutes ago, fabnfortysomething said:

I am puzzled by your statement above-what country are you from?

I am in UK and have always had to have a passport to travel abroad ie anywhere outside UK

What government id are you referring to-there is only a UK passport or driving license that qualifies as government id as far as I know and I would be laughed at if I tried to show my driving license at an airport or ferry port 

Germany. I never talked about what UK citizens have to provide. But entering the UK from Germany you don't need a passport. Not pre Brexit and not for the next months.
Example of the valid ID for entry... 

Muster_des_Personalausweises_VS.jpg&f=1&

1 minute ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Germany. I never talked about what UK citizens have to provide. But entering the UK from Germany you don't need a passport. Not pre Brexit and not for the next months.
Example of the valid ID for entry... 

Muster_des_Personalausweises_VS.jpg&f=1&

ah I understand-we dont have national ID cards

13 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

I live in Spain and our numbers are significantly lower than UKs, vaccinations are up and running and people pretty much do as they are told when they are told to lockdown. I am booked on Harmony of the Seas for May 23rd and whilst I accept it may not go I am hopeful that it will. In my opinion before the end of the summer it should be going again even if it is only for EU members.

Accepted but your central figures are worst and France is a basket case 

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Sorry,but you should check the facts yourself as well before making such statements.

I never needed a passport to get into UK. A valid national ID card was absolutely enough.

I agree with you that the UK never was part of the schengen Area and so there were always control stations when entering the UK.I visited the UK a few times and apart from a 3-second look on my ID card there was no notable control action done.

I don`t know how the regulations were for UK citizens travelling to the EU before 1.1.2021 .I checked on the net but couldn`t find much suitable information. If there are no notable changes between now and the past then one of the reasons i assumed why NCL will not start cruising in the EU without US citizens is gone.

Do you have any reliable info on how big NCL`s market share in the UK cruise market is? I couldn`t find anything on the internet.So far i only got the Info from fellow cruisers that NCL is much bigger in the UK then it is in the rest of europe.

14 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Sorry,but you should check the facts yourself as well before making such statements.

I never needed a passport to get into UK. A valid national ID card was absolutely enough.

I agree with you that the UK never was part of the schengen Area and so there were always control stations when entering the UK.I visited the UK a few times and apart from a 3-second look on my ID card there was no notable control action done.

I don`t know how the regulations were for UK citizens travelling to the EU before 1.1.2021 .I checked on the net but couldn`t find much suitable information. If there are no notable changes between now and the past then one of the reasons i assumed why NCL will not start cruising in the EU without US citizens is gone.

Do you have any reliable info on how big NCL`s market share in the UK cruise market is? I couldn`t find anything on the internet.So far i only got the Info from fellow cruisers that NCL is much bigger in the UK then it is in the rest of europe.

I would imagine the U.K. favourite cruise line is P&O followed by Cunard and then RCL NCL Etc

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 2:45 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

Europeans, especially the non-English speaking passengers, seem to love the local brands (Costa/MSC in Italy, AIDA/TUI in Germany) more than the American cruise lines such as Norwegian or Royal Caribbean.

Not me! 😉 Cruising with Aida or Tui would mean only german passengers and that would not feel like a vacation to me. I love to talk with people from other countries and cultures.

Edited by German Mermaid
  • Like 2

I´m not sure if someone has already mentioned this, but NCL just started a huge advertising here in Germany for 2021 sailings. There is also a TV commercial which is a bit... well... strange. It´s like Covid has gone. You can watch the commercial on the german NCL homepage. 

On 1/15/2021 at 12:16 AM, bmwman said:

Read the news people UK has now banned travel to and from  South America and Portugal.

there will be no European Cruises this year. Our lockdown will not even start to be lifted before Easter. Anyone who thinks they will cruise Europe in 2021 is away with the fairies in my view.

Though I agree that Lockdown/Covid are still a thing and will be past Easter, I am confident that cruising will return "In some form" this year.

I expect masks, social distancing, buffets to no longer be self serve and for shore excursions with the cruise line to be the only option to explore ports. 

Quantum is sailing now and has lots of these protocols in place.

Remember, with COVID it's a balancing act between health and economy, the world will have to at some point make the choice to start focusing on tourism and the economy again as not doing so will kill more people than the virus!

28 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

I expect masks, social distancing, buffets to no longer be self serve and for shore excursions with the cruise line to be the only option to explore ports. 

Personally I hope buffets never return to self serve! There's too many people without a basic understanding of hygiene for my liking 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, alysonofagun said:

Personally I hope buffets never return to self serve! There's too many people without a basic understanding of hygiene for my liking 😂

You are NOT wrong! Hah.

On the US cruises, the amount of bacon some people pile on their plates and the amount of food that some people seem to waste (eyes bigger than stomach!) is apalling!

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 7:13 PM, Trimone said:

I can travel to Europe anytime I like on a British passport, once in France I can travel around the Schengen area without any need to use a passport.

Not if the borders are closed like they currently are in some Schengen countries...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Not if the borders are closed like they currently are in some Schengen countries...

Bit of a pathetic comment, due to no one is allowed to leave the U.K. for any reason at present due to Covid-19 regulations.

17 hours ago, German Mermaid said:

Not me! 😉 Cruising with Aida or Tui would mean only german passengers and that would not feel like a vacation to me. I love to talk with people from other countries and cultures.

Für mich wäre das ein Traum. Ich liebe Deutschland und die deutsche Sprache. 😊