Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

29 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Interesting question. The Octantis 360 tour ( https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/content/expeditions-360/start.html ) confirms that the Zodiacs, sub and kayaks are stored aft in the Hangar, so it's not them, if you're concerned about noise.

The deck plan is not informative, but I would expect the galley to be aft of the restaurant and Manfredi's. So, my bet would be crew quarters / space  - but I've not been aboard so it's a pure guess. Hopefully a past pax will know the answer. 🍺🥌

3 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

The area is not public and if you look at a picture of the ship it has portholes. My guess is also crew quarters.

Saw the portholes and was guessing crew quarters as well but still, would be nice to know before we book a room over that area for 68 days.  Hoping someone who’s been in one of the N2 cabins will chime in regarding noise, or lack thereof.

41 minutes ago, zelker said:

Saw the portholes and was guessing crew quarters as well but still, would be nice to know before we book a room over that area for 68 days.  Hoping someone who’s been in one of the N2 cabins will chime in regarding noise, or lack thereof.

tellus@vikingcruises.com is an excellent resource for questions - this one would be a good fit. 🍺🥌

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zelker said:

Looking at Longitudinal V on Octantis in 2025. Can someone tell me what is located on Deck 1, forward of Guest Services and directly below the N2 staterooms on Deck 2, please?

Immediately fwd of the Purser's Office, on the Port side will be Hotel Dept offices.

Based on the 360 degree views, they have 2 fire doors leading fwd from the Living Room fwd bulkhead, so I expect they have 2 fwd/aft alleyways with Officer/PO cabins, offices and lockers on both sides of each alleyway.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, disudds said:

Does anyone know what hotel Viking uses before the cruise in Buenos Aires?

Post cruise we are staying at the Hilton Buenos Aires. I assume it will be the same for a pre-cruise. I can’t see them having contracts with multiple hotels in this location.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

17 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Post cruise we are staying at the Hilton Buenos Aires. I assume it will be the same for a pre-cruise. I can’t see them having contracts with multiple hotels in this location.

That's what I was thinking too and just wanted confirmation. 

58 minutes ago, disudds said:

Does anyone know what hotel Viking uses before the cruise in Buenos Aires?

I suggest you ask Viking because they do sometimes use two different hotels pre & post cruise, as well as on different cruise dates. You can email tellus@vikingcruises.com, do a chat on the website, or call.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, WAVTAM said:

Me again. After booking our itinerary shows tours from 1 pm to 8 pm. Is that correct. Do they not start in morning, have return to ship for lunch and then optional return in afternoon.

You'll see that once you get on the ship the schedule goes out the window. Everything is weather dependent.

Sign up for everything and place yourself on the wait list because believe or not, people actually "no show" tours. Let the guides know that you want to stay busy (if you do) and they'll tell you when to show up for certain tours and fill the empty seats/spots. 

Go with the flow and have a great time!!😃

• Like 1

I have a question for those that have taken the Antarctic cruise with Viking.  Do they make an effort to cross the Antarctic Circle, or do they just do landings on the Antarctic peninsula that is outside of the circle?

I realize any landings are weather and sea dependent. We are looking at a Jan or Feb 2025 trip.

TIA!

N

17 hours ago, BigNance said:

I have a question for those that have taken the Antarctic cruise with Viking.  Do they make an effort to cross the Antarctic Circle, or do they just do landings on the Antarctic peninsula that is outside of the circle?

I realize any landings are weather and sea dependent. We are looking at a Jan or Feb 2025 trip.

TIA!

N

We went December 2022-January 2023 on the Octantis and we’re extremely lucky with the weather and seas. We were also very lucky in that our sailing was the furthest south that Viking has ever been (at that time) and we did in fact cross over into the Antarctic Circle. We stopped at several islands and we also landed and walked “ON” the continent of Antarctica. 😃

I’m not sure if this is the “norm” or if Viking does this every time as this trip is weather dependent. It was the trip of a lifetime and we loved every single moment and very happy we sailed with Viking.

You’ve heard the commercial…

”Explore the world in comfort.” (Said in my very best British accent)😆

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

We went December 2022-January 2023 on the Octantis and we’re extremely lucky with the weather and seas. We were also very lucky in that our sailing was the furthest south that Viking has ever been (at that time) and we did in fact cross over into the Antarctic Circle. We stopped at several islands and we also landed and walked “ON” the continent of Antarctica. 😃

I’m not sure if this is the “norm” or if Viking does this every time as this trip is weather dependent. It was the trip of a lifetime and we loved every single moment and very happy we sailed with Viking.

You’ve heard the commercial…

”Explore the world in comfort.” (Said in my very best British accent)😆

Thank you!

N

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigNance said:

TIA!

N

We did Viking’s Antarctic Expedition cruise on Octantis in February 2023 and sailed below the Antarctic Circle (we have the certificates to prove it!).  Luckily, we also had good weather and made 4 landings in Antarctica.  A wonderful “hard to top” cruise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frenchberet said:

We did Viking’s Antarctic Expedition cruise on Octantis in February 2023 and sailed below the Antarctic Circle (we have the certificates to prove it!).  Luckily, we also had good weather and made 4 landings in Antarctica.  A wonderful “hard to top” cruise.

Awesome! Thanks!

Me again.

Have flights booked with Viking Air. Arrive in BA morning, check in and rest. Assume morning breakfast is included before charter flight next day.?? Is dinner the night before??

Any particular piece of clothing that you feel is mandatory. 

Heated gloves/ heated Socks/balaclava