Viking Expeditions Thread

emileg

28 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative. The sats are in geosynchronous orbit many miles above the equator. When operating in high latitudes, the sats have a very low altitude, being low in the sky. They are easily blocked by land masses.

Never been that far north so can't comment on the footprint overlap, but they may also have some dead areas.

Thanks Andy - we found (on another cruise line) that reception began to degrade after 63N and was largely non-existent between 75 and 81N. We have no experience further south than 54S, so perhaps there will be some reception in the Antarctic peninsula around 63S - here's hoping! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

On 12/7/2021 at 2:58 PM, deec said:

I don't know where Shorepointe Village is? On Jefferson? Florida is a definite plus this time of the year!!

On the water just off Jefferson a few blocks before Grosse Pointe, 178 Keelson Drive https://www.google.com/maps/place/178+Keelson+Dr,+Detroit,+MI+48215/@42.3570383,-82.9472275,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8824d51ecc0cf0f5:0x9dc8c3560e8586a0!8m2!3d42.3570383!4d-82.9450388.  We build the house there but then moved to Florida

I know where that is!!!  Just know it as Grayhaven...we have a sailboat and belong to Bayview.  My great uncle lived across from Garwood when I was a little girl...endless hours playing in the "secret" passageways from the days of Prohibition.

On 12/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, deec said:

those going to Antarctica..Did viking send a list of suggested packing items...there was a slide during the presentation but have not seen anything else.

What kind of mittens are you taking and what are you going to wear UNDER your supplied waterproof pants?

I'm wondering this as well.  We just made final payment for our December 2022 cruise, so I will be eagerly awaiting discussion of what worked and what didn't.  

On 12/8/2021 at 9:30 AM, deec said:

those going to Antarctica..Did viking send a list of suggested packing items...there was a slide during the presentation but have not seen anything else.

What kind of mittens are you taking and what are you going to wear UNDER your supplied waterproof pants?

18 minutes ago, amyr said:

I'm wondering this as well.  We just made final payment for our December 2022 cruise, so I will be eagerly awaiting discussion of what worked and what didn't.  

From My Viking Journey - Before Your Go - Information for Your Cruise

Dress On Board & Packing Suggestions

Dress On Board

During the day, dress is casual—slacks or jeans and comfortable shoes/boots that are appropriate for excursions/landing or enjoying the ship. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for the Fitness Center and pool areas. There are no “formal nights” in the evening; evening dress is “elegant casual” for all dining venues, performances and special events. On these occasions, required attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional; jeans are not permitted. The evening dress excludes the World Café, where the dress remains casual, including jeans and boots, after 6:00 PM.

Carry-On Suggestions

We advise you to pack in your carry-on: any medications in their original, labeled containers; eyeglasses/contacts/lens solution; important papers including insurance, medical records or allergy information, travel documents, emergency contact information; camera gear, memory cards and batteries; and valuables.

5 hours ago, deec said:

I know where that is!!!  Just know it as Grayhaven...we have a sailboat and belong to Bayview.  My great uncle lived across from Garwood when I was a little girl...endless hours playing in the "secret" passageways from the days of Prohibition.

Right!! Shorepointe Village was build on Grayhaven Island to replace the Garwood Mansion.  Each house has a 40-ft slip, and we kept a Sea Ray in our back yard for Lake St. Clair.  Lots of fun for the few months/yr we could use it. On the other hand, I get to play golf 52 weeks a year now.  Sorry we won't meet you this time, but enjoy your New Year's cruise!

Saw this on one of the Octantis Roll Call pages

I just spoke with Viking and here are some of the suggestions that you might want to purchase –

Backpack

Capilene top and bottom (like good old fashioned long underwear)

Expedition stretch top and bottom https://www.shiptoshoretraveler.com/Expedition-Stretch-Package

Neck Gaiter https://www.amazon.com/neck-gaiters/s?k=neck+gaiters

Beenie Hat (they are very warm)

Waterproof gloves or mittens – after living in the north most of my life, mittens are usually much warmer.

Waterproof socks

Boots, walking sticks, waterproof pants will be supplied by Viking

You will also get an expedition jacket that you can keep

I hope this helps.  Here are a couple of the sites that might help =

Backcountry.com

Llbean.com

Baggallini.com

We did the Northern Lights cruise in Feb 2019.  Our packing list included thermal underwear (tops & bottoms), fleece lined snow pants, fleece top, stocking cap, gloves, face mask (ski), goggles, heavy duty wool socks, hiking shoes and boots.  Hand and foot warmer packets were also handy.  In addition to the stores mentioned above, check out Eddie Bauer (First Ascent collection) and Costco (32 Degrees).  Tip - don’t overpack, layer.  Hadn’t heard about waterproof socks but will order a pair soon!  

On 12/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, philw1776 said:

Viking needs to upgrade to SpaceX's Skynet I mean Starlink for high latitudes 

From what I see, they don't have enough satellites that can transmit sat to sat, yet.  Also, they don't have FCC license to put their stations on vessels yet, and that would still only apply to US waters and international waters, and it doesn't seem like they know (from the press releases I've seen) that they need to have a license from the flag state, since the station is a transmitting station on a ship, and must meet SOLAS and ITU requirements.

Hi..I like to think in terms of worst case scenarios so here goes..:  We are on the Viking Oct. Great Lakes Cruise terminating in Toronto and one of us fails the covid test.  Hotel in Canada for 10 day quarantine?  Is there insurance that would cover the extra expense of Quarentine and a new flight?  Does Viking have a protocol for dealing with this?

3 hours ago, CTLeeA said:

Hi..I like to think in terms of worst case scenarios so here goes..:  We are on the Viking Oct. Great Lakes Cruise terminating in Toronto and one of us fails the covid test.  Hotel in Canada for 10 day quarantine?  Is there insurance that would cover the extra expense of Quarentine and a new flight?  Does Viking have a protocol for dealing with this?

If you were to fail the final Covid test prior to leaving the ship, you would be required to quarantine for at least 10 days and possibly more, until you tested negative.  Lots of nice hotels in Toronto. Most travel interruption policies that cover Covid provide for coverage of quarantine costs and new transport - just as if you were to have a different illness, but you will want to carefully examine whatever policy you select.

Viking's policy regarding infection  during  the cruise is set out in their FAQ and terms and conditions - basically they will help you find quarantine quarters ashore, and work out reimbursement for the missed portion of the cruise later on. I believe you are on your own to cover the shore expenses no matter what. I'm uncertain as to what Viking would do if you tested positive as you left the ship - my guess is that they'd try to be helpful, but I'd plan to deal with it on my own if it were me.

With all the rapid changes in protocols and country restrictions, this is just my view as of now, and may well be out of date by October 2022 (hopefully positively). Good luck with the trip!  🍺🥌

58 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

If you were to fail the final Covid test prior to leaving the ship, you would be required to quarantine for at least 10 days and possibly more, until you tested negative.  Lots of nice hotels in Toronto. Most travel interruption policies that cover Covid provide for coverage of quarantine costs and new transport - just as if you were to have a different illness, but you will want to carefully examine whatever policy you select.

Viking's policy regarding infection  during  the cruise is set out in their FAQ and terms and conditions - basically they will help you find quarantine quarters ashore, and work out reimbursement for the missed portion of the cruise later on. I believe you are on your own to cover the shore expenses no matter what. I'm uncertain as to what Viking would do if you tested positive as you left the ship - my guess is that they'd try to be helpful, but I'd plan to deal with it on my own if it were me.

With all the rapid changes in protocols and country restrictions, this is just my view as of now, and may well be out of date by October 2022 (hopefully positively). Good luck with the trip!  🍺🥌

Thank you...just when we thought it would be safe to get back into (on) the water again.....

Good news. Using the app Marine Traffic, I saw an interesting ship alongside the Octantis where it is moored in Norway.

IMG_8422.PNG.99b03e9c062cdd57f1fb16088f3630b5.PNG

IMG_8421.PNG.7ce7a238e8d97d07ca5b0e57dcb29ba4.PNG

The Octantis is undergoing bunkering (refueling)! Perhaps the beginning of a long journey, here's hoping.  It made my day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emileg said:

The Octantis is undergoing bunkering (refueling)! Perhaps the beginning of a long journey, here's hoping.  It made my day.

That is fantastic news!  I wonder if they'll have a special shakedown cruise before they head over with dignitaries and travel agents?  Normally I would think yes, but I know they're clamping down over there pretty hard with Omicron, so probably not. 

We've made our final payment for our cruise next December, so my excitement to finally see real photos of the ship is mounting!  I can't wait to follow along with you guys in January.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, emileg said:

Congratulations on your first posts to Cruise Critic and welcome to the Viking Expeditions Thread.

Thank you, still trying to figure out how this all works…didn’t mean to post pic in comments!

17 hours ago, Calgal66 said:

Thank you, still trying to figure out how this all works…didn’t mean to post pic in comments!

No problem. We all have to go through a rather steep learning curve. You're doing fine.  Have you found your roll call? When you do, introduce yourself with your first names and where you are from.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2486-viking-octantis-roll-calls/

Edited by emileg

On 12/21/2021 at 3:25 PM, emileg said:

Good news. Using the app Marine Traffic, I saw an interesting ship alongside the Octantis where it is moored in Norway.

IMG_8422.PNG.99b03e9c062cdd57f1fb16088f3630b5.PNG

IMG_8421.PNG.7ce7a238e8d97d07ca5b0e57dcb29ba4.PNG

Here’s some great news - Viking takes delivery! (I hope the link works!)

https://cruisereport.com/cruise-industry-news/new-viking-octantis?fbclid=IwAR0m6EiuOZhHvSfVZl_otMrqQqP9bzMfhMJScK5RbcPexoHKKj1zkBWIjZg

• Like 3