French Polynesia closes borders again Feb 3, 2021

Mercruiser

Travel restrictions to French Polynesia 

Starting Wednesday February 3rd, 2021

Faced with the resurgence of COVID-19 cases around the world and in order to preserve French Polynesia which has for its part, shown significant improvement for several consecutive weeks, the authorities have decided to temporarily suspend travel to Tahiti and her islands including for tourists from all origins until further notice.

As of Wednesday 3 February Travel will be authorized only for travelers who can justify one of the compelling reasons (health, professional, family, return home) cf website of the High Commission. The duration of this measure will be specified in the coming days.

Travelers currently in French Polynesia whose return is scheduled during this week can end their stay normally; beyond that, it is advisable to contact your airline to check your flight schedule.

Find all updated information on Tahiti Tourisme's website. The website is updated regularly according to the evolution of the situation: TahitiTourisme.com/coronavirus/

For more information, please see the contacts below:
  • If you are a non-resident visitor,
    • Call 40 50 57 70 (Tahiti Tourisme)
    • Hours: from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm during the day 7/7 days.
    • By email : Covid19@tahititourisme.org
  • If you are a local tourism professional, 
    • Call 40 47 62 16 ou 87 21 12 34 - Hours: Monday to Friday from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm (Service du Tourisme)
    • Call 87 21 12 34 - Saturday hours from 7:30 am to 11:30 am
    • By email : sdt@tourisme.gov.pf
  • If you are a resident of French Polynesia, call 40 50 40 30
  • For information on international flights, please contact you international airline company.
  • For information about your accommodation, please contact your establishment.

À PROPOS DE TAHITI TOURISME
Tahiti Tourisme est l’organisme en charge du marketing de la destination Tahiti Et Ses Îles qui supervise toutes les opérations marketing et publicitaires, les relations publiques, la promotion, les événements et les programmes de conseils en voyage réalisés sur l’ensemble de nos marchés internationaux. Ayant pour mission première de faire venir les touristes à Tahiti Et Ses Îles, ce groupement d’intérêt économique est composé d’une équipe locale qui travaille avec 9 représentations pour assurer la présence de notre destination sur 18 marchés étrangers. Tahiti Tourisme assure également le bureau d’accueil et d’informations des visiteurs, ainsi que l’organisation d'événements afin de favoriser le tourisme intérieur. En savoir plus sur : www.TahitiTourisme.org

CONTACT
Pour toutes questions, contactez l'équipe de Tahiti Tourisme par email communication@tahititourisme.org 

On a personal note, up until two weeks ago, I had a trip booked to Bora Bora and Moorea, for Jan 30 - Feb 10. I got cold feet and cancelled when the USA started requiring Covid tests for the trip home. That made 3 Covid tests for the trip which was 1 too many for me.

We switched to Maui at the last minute and I'm glad we did. It's great here right now. I think they have about 30% of normal tourists right now.

@Mercruiser

What a Maui vacation you must be having. We'll be there this time next year (when it will be jammed again), but my kids would have heart attacks if we flew anywhere right now. What about you? How was the flight over? Where are you staying? If it's a condo, are you eating in, and what is the story at restaurants?

Hope you continue to have a terrific time. Very envious.

@Mercruiser and @Petoonya 

That is what we did, original Tahiti cruse for Jan 7th, 21 and got cancelled so we went to Maui instead and had a wonderful time.  We stayed at the Wailea Marriott and it was almost like having the resort to ourselves. Weather, staff were exceptional.  We traveled all over the island exploring and did some excisions - sunset sail/whale watching, Lahaina, etc.  Rented a Jeep, did the best Road to Hana trip - no buses, crowds, could stop wherever we wanted. Some restaurants were still closed and the open ones were at reduced capacity so we just made sure to have dinner reservations in advance.  Flight to Maui was about 60% full but way back to US was 100%.  We got our covid test done at the airport and used the Hawaii Safe Travels site with no difficulty.  It wasn't Tahiti but a fabulous trip none the less.

On 2/2/2021 at 7:55 AM, Petoonya said:

@Mercruiser

What a Maui vacation you must be having. We'll be there this time next year (when it will be jammed again), but my kids would have heart attacks if we flew anywhere right now. What about you? How was the flight over? Where are you staying? If it's a condo, are you eating in, and what is the story at restaurants?

Hope you continue to have a terrific time. Very envious.

Sorry for the slow response. I am mostly staying away from the Internet on this trip.

So far, this is the best Hawaii trip ever. Nothing is crowded. Most of the shops are open but are restricting the number of customers allowed at once.  Every hotel/condo and flight has wide open availability. This is a great time to use frequent flier/guest points.

The flight over was on Alaska via PDX. We took the covid test using the Costco, at home test, as described on the Alaska web site. It was nice being on an airplane for 6 hours with people who had all passed a covid test. I think this makes Hawaii travel less risky than mainland air travel.

We are staying in an oceanfront condo in west Maui. Part of our "routine" is to grill dinner (fish, steak, shrimp) in time to watch the sunset over Lanai from our lanai. The whales put on a show almost all of the time with tail slapping and breaching. This goes on most of the time.

We haven't eaten a single meal out except for food trucks and ice cream. Most restaurants in this area are open, but with limited capacity. Outdoor seating is plentiful. We have one meal planned at a proper restaurant in a few days.

My adult kids have been doing their own flying, so it would be a bit much for them to object to us doing the same. I am recently retired, but was a proverbial road warrior until covid. The kids are very used to us travelling.

I summary, I think this is one of the best times to be in Hawaii.

• Like 1

Pure heaven! Doubly envious. Sounds like you have the same routine we do too. Either stay at our favorite oceanfront places in Honokawai or Kahana and grill fresh fish almost every night from the Napili market while watching the turtles and whales🙂

My kids aren't flying yet or we'd chance it too. Great about the covid testing via Costco, and we fly out of PDX too. We'll be going back though when everybody's back there and won't be quite like your trip is! Who cares about Tahiti when you have paradise this winter?

Maybe that NCL Hawaii-Tahiti trip might be for you, especially with an overnight in Kauai. We've done the Tahiti-LAX on Oceania and it was superb- and especially the price. Infact that's another option for 2022.

Have fun!