Fall Canada/new england, October

gary705

Not going to happen.  From a Canadian perspective I keep hoping that we could have an exclusively-Canadian route, Montreal to Montreal, down the St. Lawrence into the Gulf, out to Halifax.  But it's not going to happen.  Probably not enough Canadian demand, although I'd do it, for sure.

28 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Not going to happen.  From a Canadian perspective I keep hoping that we could have an exclusively-Canadian route, Montreal to Montreal, down the St. Lawrence into the Gulf, out to Halifax.  But it's not going to happen.  Probably not enough Canadian demand, although I'd do it, for sure.

I would absolutely do this!  It would be lovely to include a stop in St. Pierre Micquelon as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

I would absolutely do this!  It would be lovely to include a stop in St. Pierre Micquelon as well.

We did this on Seabourn back in 2017.  Round trip including right around Newfoundland, stopping at L'Anse aux Meadows and overnight in St. John's.  Trois Rivieres, Magdalen Islands, Havre Saint Pierres, and of course Quebec City.  And yes, Saint Pierre, which was charming. We took the train to Montreal and back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

include a stop in St. Pierre Micquelon

I learned recently in another forum that Canada has something similar to the PVSA, called the Coasting Trade Act. I don't fully understand it, but non Canadian flagged vessel might not be able to sail in Canada without a foreign stop. The Globe and Mail regularly has an ad these days for a Canadian company that offers 'classic Canadian riverboat' experience of 4 to 7 nights on the St Lawrence and Ottawa rivers, departures from Kingston, Ottawa and Quebec City. That might be interesting, but I am so looking forward to ocean cruising restarting. I am hopeful for our cruise on the Splendor next May.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

I learned recently in another forum that Canada has something similar to the PVSA, called the Coasting Trade Act. I don't fully understand it, but non Canadian flagged vessel might not be able to sail in Canada without a foreign stop.

Well if it does exist,  the stop in St Pierre and Micquelon woud solve that as they are part of France and therefore a foreign port.  So come to think of it that would solve the US problem as well. They could avoid Canadian ports and only visit US waters and ports with a stop in St Pierre and Micquelon. 

53 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Well if it does exist,  the stop in St Pierre and Micquelon would solve that as they are part of France and therefore a foreign port.  So come to think of it that would solve the US problem as well. They could avoid Canadian ports and only visit US waters and ports with a stop in St Pierre and Micquelon. 

Thanks for sharing that bit of information.  I had not heard of St Pierre and Micquelon, so I had to do a quick bit of research.  I love interesting tidbits!

23 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Well if it does exist,  the stop in St Pierre and Micquelon woud solve that as they are part of France and therefore a foreign port.  So come to think of it that would solve the US problem as well. They could avoid Canadian ports and only visit US waters and ports with a stop in St Pierre and Micquelon. 

Well yes, that's why cruises often go to Saint Pierre et Miquelon.  But of course, those islands are a French territory, so the same laws around entry and quarantine would be in force there, and on re-entering Canada.  At the moment if you leave Canada then return, you have to minimally do a self-quarantine, and in cases of flying, do a pre-entry covid test and mandatory 3-day hotel stay.  And those new requirements are expanding. So Saint Pierre is not going to work.  Plus the Maritime provinces have entry restrictions in place, even from the rest of Canada.

I had heard about the Coastal Trading Act, but would welcome a deviation from this, although as I said, I doubt if it would be financially viable for a cruise line to do this for Canadian-only passengers.

3 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well yes, that's why cruises often go to Saint Pierre et Miquelon.  But of course, those islands are a French territory, so the same laws around entry and quarantine would be in force there, and on re-entering Canada.  At the moment if you leave Canada then return, you have to minimally do a self-quarantine, and in cases of flying, do a pre-entry covid test and mandatory 3-day hotel stay.  And those new requirements are expanding. So Saint Pierre is not going to work.  Plus the Maritime provinces have entry restrictions in place, even from the rest of Canada.

I had heard about the Coastal Trading Act, but would welcome a deviation from this, although as I said, I doubt if it would be financially viable for a cruise line to do this for Canadian-only passengers.

My comments were just about the issue of stopping at a foreign port not about the viability of Canadian or American east coast cruises right now or even the near future. 

• Like 1