Would this technology work for Azamara?

MNgardens

On the Windstar forum I became aware of a new solid sail technology that is being developed in France. The concept is to put massive solid sails on a mid sized cruise ship up to 200 meters long. The engineers estimate halving the carbon emissions. According to the press release, MSC has expressed "interest." The press release includes a rendering.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24389-innovative-solid-sail-project-moves-forward-at-chantiers-de-l-atlantique.html

Maybe someone more clever than I could stick the rendering in a post.

200 meters is roughly the length of an Azamara ship. Obviously the sails could not be retrofitted to the existing ships.

So just for the purpose of our entertainment, would you be excited about going on a ship with this engineering design? I would be very interested in experiencing that and seeing it up close.

• Like 1

A good concept, but it would never work on Azamara. I can't see any reference to maximum speed. Itineraries are so finely honed to distance and achievable speed that it would be impossible to plan, especially in parts of the world or conditions where there's not much of a prevailing wind. I'm guessing their height would also limit where the ship goes (Norway inside passage springs to mind).  

Nice idea, but........

Phil 

I don’t see anything in the article that says the sails would replace the engines, so maximum speeds shouldn’t be a limiting factor.  In fact, because the article states that greenhouse gas emissions could be halved, that implies that the sails would only be used to supplement power, rather than replace current power sources.  They would only be used when it made sense.  

I do agree that it would limit where the ship could go. No more sailing under the Sydney Harbor bridge for instance. 

Talking of latest technology if you are not uptodate with the 36th America's Cup I would recommend having a look in particular the Italian vessel Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli looks stunning (even though its beating the British at the moment). Its best to see it in motion rather than a photo.