NCL App Usage on land

IRMO12HD

I'm looking for information on using the NCL App when not aboard an NCL ship.  Mine was working fine until about a week ago, and now it just spins and spins, and doesn't show my current reservation.  That's probably due to the state of flux that my sailing is in (a Pacific Coastal beginning from Vancouver, BC in October 2021), and I recognize that.  I'm just curious as to if and how people use it on land.

• Like 1

Mine's working on iPhone app.  Maybe (1) reboot, (2) uninstall app, (3) reboot again, (4) reinstall app, (5) reboot again.  Thus, I always reboot before and after software updates, removals and installs.  Might be overkill for some, but 35 years of IT tells me that some software doesn't play nice on uninstalls

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, moto_italia said:

Mine's working on iPhone app.  Maybe (1) reboot, (2) uninstall app, (3) reboot again, (4) reinstall app, (5) reboot again.  Thus, I always reboot before and after software updates, removals and installs.  Might be overkill for some, but 35 years of IT tells me that some software doesn't play nice on uninstalls

Thanks, @moto_italia.  I'll try that (mine's on an iPhone, too).

Still not working, despite following the remove/reboot/reinstall/reboot sequence.  Sigh.  I spoke briefly with NCL Tech Support, and they were at a loss to explain it as well.  

I still would like to find out if people who use the app find it useful while "ashore," or if its primary usage is aboard an NCL ship.  

I don't really look at the NCL app much if any on land, as I tend to use full websites using a big monitor rather than phone apps whenever possible.

Sorry your app is not working.  Other than disk space on your phone, or iOS version compatibility issues with the app, not sure what else it could be.  Obviously, making sure all of your apps and iOS are updated on your phone would be a good step, but you've probably done that. 

Maybe check the NCL app settings on your phone to make sure you are allowing notifications (banners, etc.).  There's also a setting where you can 'Clear Data on Next Start' in the settings on your NCL app under iPhone Settings > Norwegian.

Out of curiosity, what version of iOS are you using, and which iPhone?

• Like 1

Just a reminder too, along with app updates, that cruise ships will not be allowed in Canadian waters until Feb. '22.  Any cruises, such as Alaska cruises or Pacific coastal cruises out of Vancouver will need to be cancelled.  

Not saying that's the problem with your app but, could be. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

I'm looking for information on using the NCL App when not aboard an NCL ship.  Mine was working fine until about a week ago, and now it just spins and spins, and doesn't show my current reservation.  That's probably due to the state of flux that my sailing is in (a Pacific Coastal beginning from Vancouver, BC in October 2021), and I recognize that.  I'm just curious as to if and how people use it on land.

Mine is doing the exact some thing. iphone 12 pro max. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moto_italia said:

I don't really look at the NCL app much if any on land, as I tend to use full websites using a big monitor rather than phone apps whenever possible.

Sorry your app is not working.  Other than disk space on your phone, or iOS version compatibility issues with the app, not sure what else it could be.  Obviously, making sure all of your apps and iOS are updated on your phone would be a good step, but you've probably done that. 

Maybe check the NCL app settings on your phone to make sure you are allowing notifications (banners, etc.).  There's also a setting where you can 'Clear Data on Next Start' in the settings on your NCL app under iPhone Settings > Norwegian.

Out of curiosity, what version of iOS are you using, and which iPhone?

I have an iPhone 11, running OS 14.4.  I did change the setting to "Clear Data on Next Start," but that didn't affect the outcome.  I'm starting to think that the problem is with the status of my reservation, and that until NCL changes or cancels the cruise, I'll continue to have this problem.  Maybe I'll make a new reservation . . . what an excuse, right?? :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Just a reminder too, along with app updates, that cruise ships will not be allowed in Canadian waters until Feb. '22.  Any cruises, such as Alaska cruises or Pacific coastal cruises out of Vancouver will need to be cancelled.  

Not saying that's the problem with your app but, could be. 

Good luck.

Thanks, @All-ready2cruise.  I think you're right.  

• Like 1

Mine has stopped working as well; Galaxy S10 - comments on the play store seem to be others having the same issue.  I would say it's an app issue; not necessarily an impending cancellation; as I can log on to NCL on the 'puter with no issues.

• Like 2

@prov2727Are you in the US?  This is so weird; I'm going to try installing the app on my (ancient) Samsung Tab A and see if it happens (since it's Android, and since it's older, it's probably not the best test vehicle, but . . .)  I appreciate your comment about using it to alleviate "hard days;" hope they're getting fewer and farther between.