Do you know $USD/CAD exchange rate used by Princess today?

DeeTO

I only see CAD$ pricing as I live in Canada and figured the exchange rate used was $1.30. Now on website for the Baltic May26, 2022 trip there is a drop in CAD trip price (possible) and tax price( unusual). Could it just be a different exchange rate, say $1.28. Does anyone know off hand before I call and try and find out. 

Thx for the info.  I will call Monday and refare one of our cruises.  The other two have gone up in price over the last couple months more than the reduction due to the exchange rate, so we will leave them.

By the way - your OBC purchase rate is tied to the booking rate - so if you booked at 1.3, you will purchase OBC at 1.3.  Need to rebook if you wan the lower rate for OBC.

Don

13 hours ago, Kamloops50 said:

The current rate is $1.30 CDN to the USD. The exchange rate hasn't changed in about four years. If anything I expect the exchange rate to go higher to $1.35 or even $1.40 .

Sorry, but you are quite incorrect.  The USD-CAD rate used by Princess in quoting fares in CAD has changed several times in recent years. 

I agree that the rate changed to 1.27.  It is more in line with the market rate than the 1.30 previous rate.  Prior to that is was 1.25. 

This is the first time I am aware of - at least in a VERY long time - that Princess has implemented a rate that doesn't end in a 5 or a 0. 

11 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but you are quite incorrect.  The USD-CAD rate used by Princess in quoting fares in CAD has changed several times in recent years. 

I agree that the rate changed to 1.27.  It is more in line with the market rate than the 1.30 previous rate.  Prior to that is was 1.25. 

This is the first time I am aware of - at least in a VERY long time - that Princess has implemented a rate that doesn't end in a 5 or a 0. 

I haven’t seen anything other than 1.30 on my cruises in the last six years. 

24 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

I haven’t seen anything other than 1.30 on my cruises in the last six years. 

IDK why that would be.  Other than it has been a popular rate for them to use based on CAD value.  That said, it has indeed been various other values in past six yeara.  I have to always be aware of it as I am converting quoted fares back to USD whenever looking or booking.

Edited by Steelers36

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK why that would be.  Other than it has been a popular rate for them to use based on CAD value.  That said, it has indeed been various other values in past six yeara.  I have to always be aware of it as I am converting quoted fares back to USD whenever looking or booking.

Since 2009 to 2021 I’ve seen the rate go from 1.05(2009) to 1.45 ( 2013) . Since 2013 it’s been 1.30 .

1 hour ago, Kamloops50 said:

Since 2013 it’s been 1.30 .

That's not correct.  I always keep track of the exchange rate offered by Princess when I book, then choose whether to book in CAD or USD.  Since 2013, the rate used by Princess has changed a number of times:

Alaska cruise in 2014 - rate was 1.00

Two cruises in 2015 - rate was 1.10

Two cruises in 2016 and 2017 - rate was 1.30

Alaska cruise in 2018 - rate was 1.25

Cruise in 2019 - rate was 1.30

I haven't booked anything since then, but there was discussion on these boards when Princess raised its rate to 1.35 in 2020, then dropped it back to 1.30 earlier this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westcoaster said:

That's not correct.  I always keep track of the exchange rate offered by Princess when I book, then choose whether to book in CAD or USD.  Since 2013, the rate used by Princess has changed a number of times:

Alaska cruise in 2014 - rate was 1.00

Two cruises in 2015 - rate was 1.10

Two cruises in 2016 and 2017 - rate was 1.30

Alaska cruise in 2018 - rate was 1.25

Cruise in 2019 - rate was 1.30

I haven't booked anything since then, but there was discussion on these boards when Princess raised its rate to 1.35 in 2020, then dropped it back to 1.30 earlier this year.

You are totally correct about the changes.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had two booked cruises drop in price this last week and had them re-fared. When it is due to the exchange rate they actually have to rebook them at the new rate.  Our world cruise dropped $5000.00. That was nice.

7 hours ago, Piperpals said:

We have had two booked cruises drop in price this last week and had them re-fared. When it is due to the exchange rate they actually have to rebook them at the new rate.  Our world cruise dropped $5000.00. That was nice.

And re-booking can mean a price hit in many cases.  If book in USD, then you don't have to worry about what Princess is doing with the exchange rate.  Another bonus is many US-based TA's offer fare discounts that you don't get in Canada.