Viking or Tauck on the Rhine

maggie11

Both of these River Cruises are 8 days Paris - Paris.  Viking is on the Viking Skaga and Tauck is Ms Sapphire.  Not a big difference in money.  This is our 1st trip to France, 1st time on a River Cruise - does anyone have any preference between these two???  Any and all help would be appreciated.  We would arrive a couple days early in France and then travel to Venice after for about a 2 week trip total.  Thank you!!!!

Hello maggie11,

first: the Viking Skaga is "completely" new, i.e. unless I am much mistaken she has not sailed with any passengers yet, as she was put onto the Seine last year but has been sitting idle due to the suspension of sailings. Do check to confirm this, but I do think the ship never got the chance to have a "passenger test run".

As she is one of six new ships (all 125m long) that are allowed to dock in Paris, there is no difference to your starting point compared to the Tauck MS Sapphire (110m long).

So you have one difference between the two ships: age. Which may not be of any importance, but there may be innovations in the details on the Viking Skaga that you prefer.

Another difference you can read above: size. Again, this may not seem to matter at first glance, but the ratio of passenger to ship size can differ: 168 on Skaga, to 98 on Sapphire - get the pocket calculator out. :classic_smile: By the way, Uniworld fits only a maximum of 128 on the SS Joie de Vivre which is the same length as the Skaga.

At the furthest point of your journey you may have a difference as last stop for turning the boat. The MS Sapphire with her short length could sail into and dock in Honfleur, but it does not seem to. There are some special regulations in the maritime Seine, so not everyone who can, does. Viking will definitely stop in Rouen or Caudebec-en-Caux. From what I can see, you have no big difference between the two itineraries here. Do check this again.

One big difference I assume you will find in the "fine print". If Tauck goes with industry standard they will have full payment similar to other companies like AmaWaterways, Viking always asks for payment far in advance, be aware of this.

Hope this helps. I have sailed with neither company so will not comment further on onboard life on either.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
changed word
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2021 at 4:00 AM, TrulyBlonde said:

I have not done a river cruise with Viking. However, did one with Tauck on the Danube. If price is similar do not pass up the chance for a Tauck cruise. 5 star in every way.

What she said (except that Tauck is probably deserving of 6 stars)!

• Like 1