Transatlantic crossings - round trip bookings not being accepted but one way trips are?

buchanan101

Am rather confused.

I am booked to go to NY on 22/10, arriving 29/10. This crossing M136 is still on sale.

However Cunard say that they have "stopped selling all cruises 8 days and longer which call at a US port and depart between 1 January and 1 November 2021". So the round trip M136A cannot be booked, but the return trip M137A can...

I can't see the logic - both crossings separately are obviously 7 nights (technically 8 days...)

I'd have hoped by October that enough of the UK and US are vaccinated that Covid is manageable, but maybe this looks like being a 2022 trip (to celebrate my then 61st birthday...)

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

1 hour ago, buchanan101 said:

Am rather confused.

I am booked to go to NY on 22/10, arriving 29/10. This crossing M136 is still on sale.

However Cunard say that they have "stopped selling all cruises 8 days and longer which call at a US port and depart between 1 January and 1 November 2021". So the round trip M136A cannot be booked, but the return trip M137A can...

I can't see the logic - both crossings separately are obviously 7 nights (technically 8 days...)

I'd have hoped by October that enough of the UK and US are vaccinated that Covid is manageable, but maybe this looks like being a 2022 trip (to celebrate my then 61st birthday...)

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/contact-us/travel-health-advisories

CDC may lift that ban. Though I am uncertain as to whether you would be allowed to do 2 separate crossings back to back.

At this point, cruising, of any length, is not allowed. The CDC is proposing, that when sailing does resume, cruises be limited to no more than 7 days. You've raised an interesting point. I booked two trans-Atlantic legs for December, 2021.  But, because I'm starting in NY, and there are 5 days between the two legs, I didn't have any problems. Of course, it's also after the November deadline. Since cruising hasn't resumed yet, who knows how long the 7-day ban will be in effect.  If you can book the two legs separately, then do that. If the CDC lifts the 7-day limitation, and it's advantageous to book a return trip, then cancel and rebook.

• Like 1

Our round trip - M130B - is one of the sailings 'on hold'. The final payment date still seems to be 1 May, a month before sailing resumes.

We are currently deferring any actions on our part to mid-April, waiting to see what progress has been made in ending lockdown restrictions [at home / CDC, UK & EU]. We are inclined to make the final payment, and see if Cunard judges if the sailing needs to be cancelled [take advantage of 125% cruise credit?]

The BBC coverage I saw yesterday indicated that UK plans on ending covid lockdowns by 21 June - provided all intermediate steps go well.  So, the basic transatlantic looks reasonable.

The EU vaccine rollouts [Netherlands, Belgium & France] seems to be much less promising, to the point of not knowing if the ports will be open by mid-September. 

I don't think Mrs Bear or I would object if Cunard elected to substitute UK and Channel Island port visits for the planned EU ports.

Edited by TheOldBear
korrection

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

At this point, cruising, of any length, is not allowed. The CDC is proposing, that when sailing does resume, cruises be limited to no more than 7 days. You've raised an interesting point. I booked two trans-Atlantic legs for December, 2021.  But, because I'm starting in NY, and there are 5 days between the two legs, I didn't have any problems. Of course, it's also after the November deadline. Since cruising hasn't resumed yet, who knows how long the 7-day ban will be in effect.  If you can book the two legs separately, then do that. If the CDC lifts the 7-day limitation, and it's advantageous to book a return trip, then cancel and rebook.

What about transferring from 1 ship to another like the QM2 to the Anthem of the Seas on the same day?

The restriction is applied to cruise operators, not passengers. AFAIK, the CDC has no mechanism with which to track which, or how many, cruises you've been on. You could probably take a month's worth of cruises, as long as each is no longer than 7 days.  But, since the CDC is now in the process of allowing cruising to resume, who knows if the 7-day restriction will even remain in place when cruising resumes.

This appeared in Cruise Industry News email today:

"We're just literally waiting," said Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, of technical regulations expected from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that will provide a clear path for cruise lines to operate again in the U.S.

Having issued the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order for Cruise Ships in late October, the CDC has yet to release referenced technical regulations which will define a return to service.

Those regulations now may just around the corner, according to Bayley, who said it could be coming in days, speaking on Royal Caribbean's year-end and fourth quarter business update call on Monday morning. 

The next step is then trial sailings with volunteers cruising, Bayley noted, adding the company had seen some 250,000 volunteer sign ups. 

Bayley noted the communication and dialogue between the industry and the CDC has been productive, and it has been a relatively open process.

Cruise Industry News Email Alerts
Edited by frankp01

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

The restriction is applied to cruise operators, not passengers. AFAIK, the CDC has no mechanism with which to track which, or how many, cruises you've been on. You could probably take a month's worth of cruises, as long as each is no longer than 7 days.  But, since the CDC is now in the process of allowing cruising to resume, who knows if the 7-day restriction will even remain in place when cruising resumes

I think U.S immigration (CPB Customs & Border Protection) has the means to track the cruises. All your travel information is forwarded to the CPB BEFORE you arrive to my knowledge. They could simply deny entry for "violation of the CDC travel order"?

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we are booked on the round trip transatlantic on the 9th June and wish we knew what is happening with this cruise or should we transfer to another date our problem is we have 4 other cruises booked for 21 and 3 booked for 22.

As I have before I suspect the U.S travel ban/Presidential Proclamation of March 17th 2020 will still be in the place. So that would end it there. I think Cunard are holding out till the death in the hope that Biden will lift it. I reckon you will know by Easter at the latest how Cunard intend to proceed. And FWIW the so called first 100 days of Biden end in very early May I believe. So maybe something will change after that.

There has been no response from the U.S to our so called roadmap out of lockdown nor any suggestion that they will attempt to replicate it. Biden has suggested all Americans will be offered vaccine by July on a 3/4 week vaccine cycle. I remain unconvinced that will happen. U.S has also not said if proof of vaccination will be need for entry though I suspect it will. If such proof is needed that will end your cruise and mine in November right there I think because I can't see all crews getting it by then.

Edited by ace2542
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I hope we find out. Soon before I have to pay the balance booked through TA so they will be wanting the payment earlier 🥴

Mine is as well final payment date August 1st. We really don't want to go if we have to wear masks 12 hours a day or whatever. And I think masks will be on the ships forever personally especially in USA. I can't see us getting a refund or even FCC unless I can't get vaccinated in time. There is an outside chance I will not be1. I don't think we will hit our targets. I will just blag it if I can or lose the money and never cruise again.

Edited by ace2542

Our payment will be due soon via TA really hoping it will be cancelled first we also have B2B cruises on QE booked from 4july hoping that will also be cancelled. We will both be fully vaccinated don’t like the idea of wearing masks around the ship the indecisive decisions are very unsettling wish they would just cancel all sailings until everyone is vaccinated and it’s safe to cruise again.

19 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I only have westbound booked, 4 nights in NY then flying back, but thanks for clarifying as didn't realise that the restrictions were only for 8 days and over (though re-reading the Cunard announcement they do say 8 days). It's a strange delineation, and can you book both legs with just a  few hours in NY? 

Hopefully by the end of the year virtually anyone likely to go transatlantic (presumably mostly from UK and US - don't know, it's my first ever crossing) will be vaccinated, and point to point voyages are more likely to be approved than many stop cruises. 

4 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we are booked on the round trip transatlantic on the 9th June and wish we knew what is happening with this cruise or should we transfer to another date our problem is we have 4 other cruises booked for 21 and 3 booked for 22.

I'd love to have the problem of 7 cruises booked in 2 years!😉

18 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Last year was our retirement year and we were treating ourselves to some wonderful cruises which were all then cancelled so we moved some to this year and the year after, we wanted to experience all of those cruises while we are still fit and well enough to do so, 🤗

Don't blame you! I have similar ambitions if the other half plays along; hopefully she will enjoy her first ever "cruise" (It's a crossing to NY on QM2 so not strictly a cruise, or indeed a cruise ship) so much that she will want to come back for more. 

We love cruising for us it’s the best way to holiday to see different places without the hassle of travel is great the transatlantic crossing is fantastic we enjoy it so much we do the round trip there is so much to do onboard to enjoy I’m sure your other half will become hooked as we did, looks like our June one is going to be cancelled but hopefully yours will still go ahead in Oct 🤞🏻

Just now, lindylooellalouise said:

We love cruising for us it’s the best way to holiday to see different places without the hassle of travel is great the transatlantic crossing is fantastic we enjoy it so much we do the round trip there is so much to do onboard to enjoy I’m sure your other half will become hooked as we did, looks like our June one is going to be cancelled but hopefully yours will still go ahead in Oct 🤞🏻

The problem with the round trip is that you have only a few hours in NY. Seems pointless to go all that way just for a few hours, and I love New York! So we are flying back.

My Mum is trying to convince us to do Norway and the fjords, though I suspect that may be better on a smaller ship so the various ports of call are not overwhelmed by 2,500 to 5,000 passengers

On 2/24/2021 at 3:03 PM, lindylooellalouise said:

Last year was our retirement year and we were treating ourselves to some wonderful cruises which were all then cancelled so we moved some to this year and the year after, we wanted to experience all of those cruises while we are still fit and well enough to do so, 🤗

Good for you. I found out in September of 2019 that I had stage 4 cancer. I scheduled a bunch of cruises afterward (and already had a couple before my diagnosis). Luckily I was able to take my dream QG crossing in December 2019 and a quickie Mexico jaunt from SF in January on Princess. Since then, I've had six cruises cancelled. I booked another Mexico jaunt from LA in late August, and have two one-way QM2 crossings scheduled for October. I'm hoping to be able to take our round trip QM2 crossings in May 2020, and if I can get the other two in before then it will be a bonus. As for scheduling beyond next Spring, we'll see how things proceed.

If they disallow one of our October crossings, I think we'll spend a couple of days in NY, take the Eastbound, and fly home. (Although normally I prefer Westbound crossings for the extra hour)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

I'm hoping to be able to take our round trip QM2 crossings in May 2020, and if I can get the other two in before then it will be a bonus. 

Obviously a typo, and should read 2022. (And the May 2020 RT TA was my first cancellation, as a matter of fact. And, of course, May 2021 has been cancelled. I'll keep booking 'em and one of these years, they'll start again.)

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

Good for you. I found out in September of 2019 that I had stage 4 cancer. I scheduled a bunch of cruises afterward (and already had a couple before my diagnosis). Luckily I was able to take my dream QG crossing in December 2019 and a quickie Mexico jaunt from SF in January on Princess. Since then, I've had six cruises cancelled. I booked another Mexico jaunt from LA in late August, and have two one-way QM2 crossings scheduled for October. I'm hoping to be able to take our round trip QM2 crossings in May 2020, and if I can get the other two in before then it will be a bonus. As for scheduling beyond next Spring, we'll see how things proceed.

If they disallow one of our October crossings, I think we'll spend a couple of days in NY, take the Eastbound, and fly home. (Although normally I prefer Westbound crossings for the extra hour)

Hi MarkBear really sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis,  hopefully you have it under control and absolutely get as many cruises in as you can, hopefully cruises will restart this year maybe late summer. In August 2020 I had my fourth cancer diagnosis within the last 10 years so we made the decisions to do what  we enjoy doing and my idea of heaven is to be on a Cunard ship enjoying the QG service and to visit as many countries as possible life is so short and you really have to make the most of everything you have, I’m very positive that we will have more cruises ahead for us all to enjoy good luck lindy 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2021 at 4:51 AM, buchanan101 said:

Am rather confused.

Interesting.  We are booked on a 21 day cruise, NYC- Norway- NYC, on 8-22-21.

We did book this cruise in October 2020.