Is the summer European season done.

Guest BigRoger

No I don’t think the European season is toast at all as it makes no sense for it to be so.... all cruise lines and all countries will want to sail and generate revenue if it’s possible. So no one is going to simply give up on the summer season..... particularly if ships are already in Europe.

BUT following the principles emerging with MSC, (Mein Schiff I think), Quantum and now Odyssey we may end up with country of residence based ‘bubbles’ ie if your UK you can only go on Anthem out of a southampton and no one is approved to fly to a different country.... except maybe all EU allowed to go from Barcelona and Rome, Venice etc...

The likelihood is that given strong vaccination progress Anthem will be approved to sail with brits only (but to where?....) - it will be according to Ben Boldin about a 6-8 week lag before Anthem can resume sailing. So maybe July onwards for Anthem.

the bigger question is whether RC will send across ships which are not currently bobbing around in Europe - note Harmony has to come for its maritime inspection I think... but you can see a scenario where Harmony is just for EU citizens alone and sails from Rome and/ Barcelona...

The question is I guess whether the almighty USA will decide only to allow (vaccinated) US citizens on cruises out of USA in 2021....

Edited by BigRoger

We're booked on the September 12 Anthem from Southampton.  I can see a way forward for that cruise to happen, but I don't see folks from the US like us being welcomed aboard. Wondering how Royal would handle that situation--cruise not cancelled but some passengers at least effectively barred by lengthy quarantine requirements.

dolphin1313 posted that MSC has cancelled more sailings:

"MSC Cruises today also updated the itineraries for the start of its summer season (beginning in April) as a result of the delay in the return to availability of certain ports across Europe and is canceling all other itineraries in the West Mediterranean for April and May 2021, with cruises there resuming from June 2021 as planned.

Similarly, in the East Mediterranean cruises are canceled for April 2021, with cruises resuming from May as planned. In Northern Europe, all itineraries are canceled in April.

Finally, in the Caribbean all itineraries are canceled through to May 31, 2021".

2 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

dolphin1313 posted that MSC has cancelled more sailings:

"MSC Cruises today also updated the itineraries for the start of its summer season (beginning in April) as a result of the delay in the return to availability of certain ports across Europe and is canceling all other itineraries in the West Mediterranean for April and May 2021, with cruises there resuming from June 2021 as planned.

Similarly, in the East Mediterranean cruises are canceled for April 2021, with cruises resuming from May as planned. In Northern Europe, all itineraries are canceled in April.

Finally, in the Caribbean all itineraries are canceled through to May 31, 2021".

MSC Seaside is going to Europe, for the first time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think no matter how you shake it, the European Season is Toast for the American People. 

Unfortunately, I agree with you.    I had said a couple months ago to my DH that I don't see Europe allowing US citizens to travel and highly suspect our Baltic cruise for Aug 5th will be cancelled.   I predict RCL will give the Israel sailing with everyone fully vaccinated a chance before they add similar scenarios with other countries.     

I can see them doing a sailing out of UK to British Isles, Scotland, etc. for UK residents only and maybe a pass thru of the Norwegian fjords if not allowed to stop at ports there.     

Maybe a sailing out of Spain for residents or sailings for those who live in Schegen countries like MSC is doing.        

I suspect their team is working out the logistics of all of this and closely watching what countries are vaccinating the quickest.    

I am 95% sure my baltic cruise will be cancelled and Yes I will be sad but not as sad as I was last August 2020 when my baltic and norway b2b was cancelled.     I prefer to wait till I can find an itinerary like that again.

but I will also be very happy if RCL is successful in their sailings in Israel and wherever else they may sail so they can show the CDC in the US how they are safely sailing

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Unfortunately, I agree with you.    I had said a couple months ago to my DH that I don't see Europe allowing US citizens to travel and highly suspect our Baltic cruise for Aug 5th will be cancelled.   I predict RCL will give the Israel sailing with everyone fully vaccinated a chance before they add similar scenarios with other countries.     

I can see them doing a sailing out of UK to British Isles, Scotland, etc. for UK residents only and maybe a pass thru of the Norwegian fjords if not allowed to stop at ports there.     

Maybe a sailing out of Spain for residents or sailings for those who live in Schegen countries like MSC is doing.        

I suspect their team is working out the logistics of all of this and closely watching what countries are vaccinating the quickest.    

I am 95% sure my baltic cruise will be cancelled and Yes I will be sad but not as sad as I was last August 2020 when my baltic and norway b2b was cancelled.     I prefer to wait till I can find an itinerary like that again.

but I will also be very happy if RCL is successful in their sailings in Israel and wherever else they may sail so they can show the CDC in the US how they are safely sailing

I’m also on your Aug 5 Baltic cruise, and I expect to be able to Lift & Shift to a 2022 Baltic cruise. 

2 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

I’m also on your Aug 5 Baltic cruise, and I expect to be able to Lift & Shift to a 2022 Baltic cruise. 

Hi!  I would love if I could find one exactly like we had last year where we can do a b2b to Norway too.     Plus I really want to see Copenhagen and be able to do pre-cruise stay there for a couple of days.   

On 3/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

With Royal announcing the Odyssey sailing from Israel for the entire season  and for Israeli citizens only I am thinking that this spells the end of the entire European season...or at least most of it. 

Ken.

Good news from Croatia today.

Graham.

Screenshot_20210302_200035_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 1:13 PM, FionaMG said:

Having managed to do so for Singapore and now Israel, I could see Royal potentially coming to agreements with other European governments to have localised sailings. If it can be done safely, it would be good all round.

Obviously though, it would depend on both the virus situation and political will, so I suppose it's anybody's guess really.

Italy i gues not, as you have Costa and MSC already, hence there will likely not be enough demand, but maybe from Spain. Likely we will not see it happening during continued port closures and the vaccination strategy of the Europeans being at least currently very disapointingly slow.