NY Times article on vaccine passports

clueless2

1 hour ago, clueless2 said:

Vaccine Passports, Covid’s Next Political Flash Point https://nyti.ms/3r9ZKjp

I'm not sure if you can read this if you're not a subscriber.

The link worked for me and is interesting reading. Reading that, it's going to take a lot of cooperation to get some kind of universal vaccine passport going. Interesting about Israel rolling out their own, and I am wondering about Royal's Quantum of the Seas sailings for "fully vaccinated" Israeli citizens starting in May - will they have to also have to be "fully vaccinated-passported" also? 😉

I was looking for my "Smallpox Passport" the other day but alas, I couldn't find it. I'm not even sure that it even existed. What I do remember is that day in elementary school when every student in the school was lined up and given the vaccination. Since that day I have never worried about getting smallpox or being asked if I was vaccinated. The real question here is "Why would we even need to prove that we have received the Covid shot? Eventually, the only people worried about getting Covid will be those that refused the vaccination. 

Based on what I've heard from politicians and medical professionals, they want us to keep acting like we never received the shot. If we could prove that we have received the shot, what makes anybody think that they would let us walk around and act like normal human beings? We've all spent the last year trying to think of solutions that would let us get around arbitrary rules imposed by politicians. 

I've been vaccinated. If the only way to get on a cruise ship is to be vaccinated then I am all for it.

If the government can figure out how to put a stamp on my passport more power to them. If you think politicians can figure out a simple thing like stamping a passport to show that you received the vaccination, you're dreaming.  

• Like 2

I don't get the "vaccine passport". The WHO has had the "yellow card" system for years. I keep my yellow card  to show proof of my yellow fever vaccination. So what's the deal with needing a special, universal "COVID vaccine passport"? Won't a simple yellow-card type of proof-of-vaccine certificate be sufficient? Or, because of the number of people needing to be vaccinated worldwide, is there worry of people making fake vaccine passports?  

22 minutes ago, Funatabi said:

I don't get the "vaccine passport". The WHO has had the "yellow card" system for years. I keep my yellow card  to show proof of my yellow fever vaccination. So what's the deal with needing a special, universal "COVID vaccine passport"? Won't a simple yellow-card type of proof-of-vaccine certificate be sufficient? Or, because of the number of people needing to be vaccinated worldwide, is there worry of people making fake vaccine passports?  

I agree and traveled for years with my passport a yellow vaccination card.  That said I can’t remember the last time I needed it and it’s filed away somewhere.   Supposedly there are already nefarious websites selling fake vaccination certificates and our local news mentioned fake cards may be available across the border in Mexico.  Don’t know if that is valid or not but considering the times we live in it’s not unthinkable that somebody would try to cash in on the opportunity.   

The WHO-standard yellow card is a certificate of vax, not an immunity passport...

"The ICVP is not an immunity passport; the primary difference is that vaccination certificates such as the ICVP incentivise individuals to obtain vaccination against a disease, while immunity passports incentivise individuals to get infected with and recover from a disease."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Prophylaxis

The yellow card allows an uninfected person to travel to an infected area. No guarantee that the person won't get infected, since no vax is 100% effective. At your own risk.

In the world of covid, we are trying to protect populations from travelers arriving from infected areas. No universal vax passport is possible because a large number of different brands are being deployed. Of different technologies and efficacy. Chinese, Indian, Russian, Pfizer, Moderna, J&J and AZ.

There is no single WHO-type standard yet.

Rather, travel in the covid world will be complicated by multiple layers of protection. Some travelers from covid-free areas will only need proof of vax (or none required). Others (with vaccination) will only be required to be tested. Yet others will be tested and quarantined, even if vaccinated.

IMO, the critical factor will be where the traveler is coming from. How infected is the area? No covid vax is anywhere close to 100% effective in preventing infection. Therefore, travelers from high risk areas will more likely be infectious.

There are naive people in these forums who are excited by the prospects of an immunity passport. Not going to happen.

The closest thing is a PCR test before and after your flight. In fact, Iceland has required multiple tests and quarantine hotels since last summer. The graph below shows their positivity rate...

positivity Rate Mexico Iceland.JPG

My yellow booklet International Certificate of Vaccination has pages for official cholera and yellow fever vaccinations. My yellow fever page has an "official vaccination" stamp for my state; the batch number of the Connaught vaccine; a stamp for the university hospital that administered the vaccine; MD's signature; and date.

There is also space for unofficial health history, ophthalmic information and other immunizations. I have the nurse or doctor record my tetanus, shingles, and pneumonia vaccinations thereon and will have my covid vaccination recorded, too, not that I think it will ease any traveling I may do.