Jump in Cruise Fares

JohnoClark

We had booked the QM2 from New York to Southamption in April 2021 Obstructed Balcony for $3,300 Canadian and prepaid gratuities

Obviously cancelled - so now looking at May 1 2022.  But fare has jumped to $4,885

Is that because so far in advance - or?

Looking for an explanation ?  Any views?

I have nothing to go on but a hunch, but i think it's supply and demand.  There's going to be a lot of pent up demand, after almost 18 months of suspension.  Confirming my hunch:

From "The Points Guy":

if you’re in the market for a cruise right now, you should brace yourself for higher prices.

With demand for cruises scheduled to depart later this year surprisingly strong and the supply of available cabins smaller than in the past, cruise lines in recent months have been able to hold the line on pricing and even raise fares in many cases

From Cruise Industry News:

Cruise companies may be eyeing a significant increase to ticket prices in the near future as demand surges and sailings sell out in record time.

48 minutes ago, JohnoClark said:

We had booked the QM2 from New York to Southamption in April 2021 Obstructed Balcony for $3,300 Canadian and prepaid gratuities

Obviously cancelled - so now looking at May 1 2022.  But fare has jumped to $4,885

Is that because so far in advance - or?

Looking for an explanation ?  Any views?

May 2022 isnt classed a so far in advance that cruise has been available since September 2020.

Cunard make no secret that they use, what they call "fluid pricing". Prices can rise in the morning, and fall back in the afternoon, or vice versa, so it may be wise to watch the prices.

However, thousands of regular customers, like me, have enhanced deposits to spend as we received 25% for not asking for a refund. That means we've got all this extra cash to spend in a fairly limited time. Cunard (Carnival) are not stupid and will happily give with one hand and take away with the other.

Our Canary Isles trip this year, which we paid C.£4K each, went up by £2K each to around £6K since booking. 2022 is back down to normal and that's also booked. 

• Like 2

We were booked on a QM2 28 day TA, USA, Canada, TA  this September, last week we transferred to a QM2 Sydney to Dubai cruise in March 2022 it was slightly cheaper and is 1 night longer. Quite a few of the 2022 World Cruise segments are a reasonable cost at the moment.

On the other hand we are booked on an Eastern Med cruise on P&O in October 2022, we booked it at launch last November and the cost has now doubled. As others have said it's the law of supply and demand, flexible pricing etc..

I understand what you are saying regarding supply and demand, but think that with the past year and the companies needing "us" to revive their business, you would think they would give that a bit of weight in the pricing decision.  Wishing thinking, I know.

38 minutes ago, alibabacruisers said:

I understand what you are saying regarding supply and demand, but think that with the past year and the companies needing "us" to revive their business, you would think they would give that a bit of weight in the pricing decision.  Wishing thinking, I know.

It's a business.  Any business is going to sell their product or service for whatever the market will bear.  Some people want to be back on board so badly that they will tolerate the covid protocols and pay whatever the cost may be.

• Like 1