World cruises selling out in record time

commodoredave

When the Covid-19 pandemic started, it caused panic buying of household staples like toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Now, the panic buying has move on to world cruises where extended voyages to multiple continents are selling out years in advance for huge sums of money.

https://gentlemansportion.com/2021/03/15/world-cruises-selling-out-in-record-time/

Two things commodoredave.  First, thanks for posting the link to such a neat blog.  I signed up to follow it.  I'll go down the rabbit hole of previous posts later.

Secondly, I have a deposit on a 2023 world cruise and was indeed lucky to secure a cabin.  It was filling fast.  I sent the cruise line a letter urging mandatory vaccinations for all crew and passengers. I hope more people urge or demand such a policy.  The text of what I sent was:

"I have booked the XXX world cruise on the XXX, sailing XXX.

As I continue to monitor the continued cancellations of sailings in light of Covid-19, and changing travel restrictions, I am concerned about embarking on a XXX-night cruise with multiple stops in foreign ports.  The uncertainty of conditions and restrictions on board, as well as the ship being barred from docking in the scheduled ports of call gives me pause.

I urge XXX cruise line to mandate that all crew and passengers be vaccinated before departing.  Reliance on a negative Covid-19 test days before departure only proves that the person was negative at the time of the test.  The virus could still be brought on board by a tested but unvaccinated person and then spread to other unvaccinated persons on board.

Neither XXX cruise line nor the passengers want an uninterrupted world cruise and the only way to ensure that won’t happen is a mandatory vaccination policy."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Two things commodoredave.  First, thanks for posting the link to such a neat blog.  I signed up to follow it.  I'll go down the rabbit hole of previous posts later.

Secondly, I have a deposit on a 2023 world cruise and was indeed lucky to secure a cabin.  It was filling fast.  I sent the cruise line a letter urging mandatory vaccinations for all crew and passengers. I hope more people urge or demand such a policy.  The text of what I sent was:

"I have booked the XXX world cruise on the XXX, sailing XXX.

As I continue to monitor the continued cancellations of sailings in light of Covid-19, and changing travel restrictions, I am concerned about embarking on a XXX-night cruise with multiple stops in foreign ports.  The uncertainty of conditions and restrictions on board, as well as the ship being barred from docking in the scheduled ports of call gives me pause.

I urge XXX cruise line to mandate that all crew and passengers be vaccinated before departing.  Reliance on a negative Covid-19 test days before departure only proves that the person was negative at the time of the test.  The virus could still be brought on board by a tested but unvaccinated person and then spread to other unvaccinated persons on board.

Neither XXX cruise line nor the passengers want an uninterrupted world cruise and the only way to ensure that won’t happen is a mandatory vaccination policy."

Thanks for you comment. I support your letter and if I'm not mistaken, some cruise lines have already announced they will be doing this including Saga Cruises. I suggest you go to the comments section on the blog, particularly at the link below for a story published in January called "When will it be Safe to Cruise Again?", and provide a copy of your draft letter for other people to use. I think it will strike a chord with avid cruisers. 

WHEN WILL IT BE SAFE TO CRUISE AGAIN? – Gentlemans Portion

• Like 1

15 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Thanks for you comment. I support your letter and if I'm not mistaken, some cruise lines have already announced they will be doing this including Saga Cruises. I suggest you go to the comments section on the blog, particularly at the link below for a story published in January called "When will it be Safe to Cruise Again?", and provide a copy of your draft letter for other people to use. I think it will strike a chord with avid cruisers. 

WHEN WILL IT BE SAFE TO CRUISE AGAIN? – Gentlemans Portion

Done and Done. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:07 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Thanks for posting that.   I have sent an email to a line that I am currently booked with expressing these sentiments.

17 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks for posting that.   I have sent an email to a line that I am currently booked with expressing these sentiments.

You are welcome.  I'm willing to bet that the cruise lines realize the benefit of requiring all crew and passengers to be vaccinated.  They can set their own rules in that regard and don't have to bend over for the antivaxer whiners.

• Like 3

Still receiving news that cruises, especially world cruises, are selling out.   

So great to see that opinions that "cruising is dead" and "cruise lines will go bankrupt" are proving to be wrong.   

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 2:06 PM, Smokeyham said:

Here is another way to make our voices heard.  It's easy beezy and once you insert your address, the email will be sent to your senators and representatives.  The link is in this discussion:

An Opportunity to be Heard - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

8 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Here is another way to make our voices heard.  It's easy beezy and once you insert your address, the email will be sent to your senators and representatives.  The link is in this discussion:

An Opportunity to be Heard - Princess Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

Thank you for posting this.  I have not visited the Princess Message Board in quite some time.  

I support the thinking of the CLIA in trying to do this, but I seriously doubt that it will have much impact.  A Congressional Office receives an e-mail (or however the messages are delivered to them) containing a multitude of names.  Are these constituents of that member of Congress?  If not, put that message in the trash would be my expected action on their part.

I send e-mails to my Congressional people as well as my members of Ohio's General Assembly.  It's a rare day when I ever get a response from any of them that is anything more than "Representative/Senator X, Y, or Z always appreciates hearing from his/her constituents.  I have informed "whomever" of your concerns."  The signature is almost always:  Legislative Aide A, B, or C.  The most infuriating responses often come from the office of Senator Rob Portman.  I e-mail him about my experiences and issues with USPS.  The reply concerns his position on maintaining troops in Afghanistan or some other irrelevant topic.  

• 3 weeks later...