Regent Land Package Question

loriva

We are booked on Voyager for a Med cruise in mid-September 2021.  We also booked an optional land package with Regent prior to the cruise.  The land package notes it has a minimum passenger count to run.

So--hoping that the cruise goes to make this question valid--what has been people's experience with Regent land packages meeting minimum numbers of guests to run?  Has anyone had one cancelled due to not having enough signed up?  If so, at what point were you notified of the cancellation?  Sixty days prior?

We have made alternative plans in case the pre-cruise land package is cancelled, but wondering at what point we can feel certain--as certain as anything can be these days--the land tour will go and can let go of our other reservations.  Of course, this question may be moot if Regent cancels the cruise (in July if current patterns hold, I believe.)

Many thanks,

My husband, sister and I were  on a July 2015 Norwegian fjord cruise. After the cruise we were scheduled to go to Prague for a 3 day post-cruise tour.  Imagine our shock when we meet before disembarking and find out we are the only ones who signed up.  We had a private car take us to the airport and pick us up to take us to our city center hotel. We met with our private guide in the morning and spent three days with her. To say we were flabbergasted and impressed is an understatement. I still can’t believe Regent didn’t cancel the land tour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lori and Chris: 

We have had several experiences with Regent's pre and post-cruise land packages, all of which were three day visits.  Some were pre-cruise safaris in South Africa; others were post-cruise stays in Beijing, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur.  

None had to be canceled.  All were--as best we could determine--over-subscribed.  Regent was flexible to expand land logistics needed to ensure a positive experience by all.   

That, of course, was pre-COVID-19.  

Our next hoped-for situation with a significant pre-stay will be at Tokyo in April, 2022.  Three days "Vibrant Tokyo" prior to boarding Mariner.  We hope.  

GOARMY!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, loriva said:

We are booked on Voyager for a Med cruise in mid-September 2021.  We also booked an optional land package with Regent prior to the cruise.  The land package notes it has a minimum passenger count to run.

So--hoping that the cruise goes to make this question valid--what has been people's experience with Regent land packages meeting minimum numbers of guests to run?  Has anyone had one cancelled due to not having enough signed up?  If so, at what point were you notified of the cancellation?  Sixty days prior?

We have made alternative plans in case the pre-cruise land package is cancelled, but wondering at what point we can feel certain--as certain as anything can be these days--the land tour will go and can let go of our other reservations.  Of course, this question may be moot if Regent cancels the cruise (in July if current patterns hold, I believe.)

Many thanks,

We have done some  pre-cruise land tours but in every case they were included with the cruise at no additional or very little cost. If this pre-cruise land tour is at a substantial additional cost my experience has been that you can usually do it on your own for much, much less.  

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 3:22 PM, crusin7 said:

My husband, sister and I were  on a July 2015 Norwegian fjord cruise. After the cruise we were scheduled to go to Prague for a 3 day post-cruise tour.  Imagine our shock when we meet before disembarking and find out we are the only ones who signed up.  We had a private car take us to the airport and pick us up to take us to our city center hotel. We met with our private guide in the morning and spent three days with her. To say we were flabbergasted and impressed is an understatement. I still can’t believe Regent didn’t cancel the land tour. 

Boy that would be like winning the lottery.........

Yes!  That was by far our favorite cruise.  We were on the Voyager.  This July we are(were) going to repeat the cruise.  We even have the same cabin.  This time ending in Amsterdam.  We are going to do the land program in Amsterdam.  Pcardad says July will 100% cancel.  We are so disappointed.  This is our 3rd cancellation but the hardest.  We were so looking forward to it.  Our friends from Germany, who we met on the Voyager 10 years ago, were sailing also.  

On our Regent cruise from Singapore to Singapore in December 2019 (it seems so long ago now), we had made a reservation for a "One night in Bangkok" overland excursion. It was about 1 K extra, but had an overnight stay and went to everywhere we wanted to go, with an overnight stay at a nice hotel, and lunch before returning to the ship the next day. But we were notified shortly before the cruise that no one other than us had signed up for this excursion. They offered us a private excursion for 500 dollars more (for both of us). We said yes, and it was a real highlight of our trip. We had a private van from the ship, with a wonderful guide who did everything we wanted to do. We were able to check into our hotel early, skipped lunch to see everything we wanted to see that afternoon, and saw even more the next morning. The lunch before we left Bangkok to return to the ship was at a great restaurant, at our guide's suggestion. Our guide Alex made our experience one to remember, and the extra expense was well worth it for our private excursion.

If your excursion, pre, post or overland is cancelled due to lack of participation, it might be worth asking if you can pay extra to do it through Regent privately as we did.

• Thanks 1