capnjoe

which HAL ship is your favorite?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. which HAL ship is your favorite?

• The O-dam
    • Westerdam
    • Rotterdam
    • Maasdam

I for one liked the old Westerdam, now sailing for Costa Cruises. Therefore, I didn't vote.

Of those you listed, have only been on Maasdam, which sorely needs that midship elevator bank which was omitted by the designers.

I wanted to include all Hal ships but they only allowed me 4 spots, SO please feel free to add write in's.

Also Druke I Loved the old Westerdam myself, was my fav ship of all time, I believe Costa has her now and I think she is the Romantica, if so its a perfect name for her.

None of the selections. Our favorite right now is still the Ryndam. We have a history with her as we honeymooned on the Ryndam and have had a number of cruises on her. We did the Oosterdam in March 2004 and had a great cruise but preferred the smaller S class. Next week is our first time on the Volendam and an R class so we'll see how we feel after that.

I thought you could have 10 poll choices. Have they changed it? Oh, well.

Although I love whichever "dam" ship I'm on at the time, the Rotterdam still has a special place in my heart. She's a classic beauty, inside and out. She was our first Holland America ship and hooked us for life!

None of the above. Although the Maasdam comes the closest as I prefer any of the S-class ships.

My favorite of all time is the ss Rotterdam. Clean her up and give her back to HAL and I'm ready to sail on her this minute.

Hmm I may have to redo this post as they only allowed me to pick four. Perhaps you are right maybe I have to clickon something to allow me to add more, I will check on that right now.....

Krazy, no I have sailed on all the DAM ships except for the Prinendam and the new Westerdam which in 47 days that will change:D I was just intrested to see which ship receives the most votes.

Please watch for a new pol and I appreciate all the feedback.

Since we still have only four options then I would have to vote for the Rotterdam. My two favorites, however, are the Ryndam and the Amsterdam. I'm sticking with the S and R class ships and have no desire whatsoever to sail on a Vista class ship.

I am also not a fan of the Prinsendam but upon further reflection the only things I didn't like about her were our cabin, which was way too small since we opted for twin beds, had a full-sized tub which was quite a luxury but did take up an awful lot of space, and the "walk-in closet" was another total waste of space. The public rooms were gorgeous and we really enjoyed all of them with the exception of the Library which was also very small but nicely furnished. The crew and staff aboard the Prinsendam were fantastic and we really did have a great cruise (Australia/New Zealand Holiday Cruise in 2002/2003).

God willing and the "crick" don't rise I will be spending 49 days aboard the glorious ms Amsterdam at the beginning of next year.

Valerie:D

I like the smaller, more intimate ships ... the Rotterdam and the Amsterdam. They don't carry so many passengers that on a longer voyage you can't get to know many of your fellow travelers.

That's why I don't like the large, Vista-class ships doing the shorter itineraries. There are so many people onboard that often even if you do meet someone, chances are you may not see them again for the duration of the voyage.

To me, cruising is a lot more than just traveling. Heck, I can book a land trip and get a much more intensive travel experience in a region I'm interested in exploring. The reason I prefer cruising, though, is because it's a shared voyage ... and you often come away from it a changed person ... having met so many wonderful people with which to share the adventure. You can't get that feeling, though, when you are on a big ship. The relationships never cement like they do on a small one ... and the experience is never as enriching.

If you want to take a quick cruise to a popular destination, and are bringing your own group onboard to share the adventure, then fine ... a Vista size ship can be your best bet ... more entertainment and eating venues ... more options for entertainment. You'll also benefit in visiting more ports ... further ports ... because the Vista-class ships can probably make a greater speed than the older, smaller ones. But if you want a travel adventure that will change you, stick with the smaller ships and the slower pace. You'll be glad you did.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree completely with Kryos. The more intimate, elegant and friendlier ships are the Statendam and Rotterdam class. We sailed once on the O-dam didn't care for it, and choose not to revisit a Vista class ship. We do have two favorites though, the Statendam (our first) and the Veendam.

Archived