Worrying Answers From CDC Director on Conditional Sailing Order

Topdog52

1 hour ago, skywonder said:

I know a few nurses and I have been told by some that this thing is way overblown. Heck a few of them were losing shifts because there was not enough patients.

Tell them to look into doing some traveling.  My niece is making bank doing the traveling ICU nurse thing.  She didn't want to travel, but the money was too good and the need too great.   As the vaccines increase I'm sure there will be less and less need for her though.  Hopefully she'll be home in a few weeks. 

6 hours ago, skywonder said:

I know a few nurses and I have been told by some that this thing is way overblown. Heck a few of them were losing shifts because there was not enough patients.

How many nurses do you know?

How many told you COVID-19 is way overblown?

How many of them have lost shifts due to a lack of patients?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, VtMac said:

It's binary thinking...I'm right therefore you're wrong facts be damned.  In this land of mine,  you are an (R) or a (D) and everything is now seen through that prism, period.  Now add to that a Covid true believer vs a denier, and there is no longer room for intelligent disagreement.  It simply isn't a binary world in my opinion, there are all kinds of layers at least in my little sphere.

Holy smokes.  There is intelligent life here.  I generally agree with people for VT. Thanks for being independent and letting people know that there is some independent thought.  I get tired of being accused of being one or the other.  I am insulted either way.  Rs and Ds are like two different flavors of dung, but both are dung, I can't stomach either.

Half the people will think you support Biden, the other half will think you support Trump.  Enjoy your day.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mianmike said:

Tell them to look into doing some traveling.  My niece is making bank doing the traveling ICU nurse thing.  She didn't want to travel, but the money was too good and the need too great.   As the vaccines increase I'm sure there will be less and less need for her though.  Hopefully she'll be home in a few weeks. 

I have an old friend from college who's an APRN, and also a traveling ICU nurse, who just got temp work in Oahu (she's from OH).  She said she could have gone to many places that need medical help with COVID. Hawaii needed COVID vaccine administrators in Oahu.  She viewed it as a way to take a vacation and do good work in the process.

She's way over qualified for what she's doing (administering the vaccine and managing the database for vaccine distribution.  But, as has been mentioned, she went to where she was needed.  She's been in Hawaii for 2 weeks.  She thinks she'll be there through at least April, maybe even May.  They're giving her free housing, a food allowance and she's bought an electric bicycle for transportation and exploration.

In today's world, opportunities for qualified medical professionals are everywhere.  If you can't find any where you are, you either aren't looking because you're too busy complaining, or you aren't interested in really finding any opportunities.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

she went to where she was needed.  She's been in Hawaii for 2 weeks.  She thinks she'll be there through at least April, maybe even May.  They're giving her free housing, a food allowance and she's bought an electric bicycle for transportation and exploration.

Wow, good for her!  Colour me jealous, LOL.  😉

I know a lot of nurses. All of them have all the work they want right now. Including a couple of retired nurses who were called back. Hospitals seem to have figured out how to manage resources as case counts go up and down.

There's also a lot more spare capacity in the system than there was a year ago, and it took some time to figure out how to manage and use it. Most of my RN friends went through a lot of shift changes and reassignments in the early days of the pandemic. It was a learning process.

A big field hospital was built near where I live and never used. That doesn't mean it was a bad idea or that it still isn't needed. It means, for example, that things here on the California central coast never got as bad as in southern California, or in Reno where a field hospital was activated and used to care for covid patients.

Edited by fubarbloke
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Wow, good for her!  Colour me jealous, LOL.  😉

Yeah.....she makes it a point to text me pics of the surf, the sun and the mountains that sit within walking distance of her workplace.  She’s a brat!  LOL!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

One.

None.

One.

It was the response to Covid that was overblown.  I have a close family member whose cancer surgery was postponed despite the fact that the hospital had many empty beds, nurses were being furloughed and the surgeon was out of work.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, CaptainHazelwood said:

One.

None.

One.

It was the response to Covid that was overblown.  I have a close family member whose cancer surgery was postponed despite the fact that the hospital had many empty beds, nurses were being furloughed and the surgeon was out of work.  

Which hospital?

How many empty beds?

How many nurses furloughed?

etc.etc.

My point is that it is just so easy for posters to write things to suit their argument....because they do so, doesn't make what is written true!

8 hours ago, hamrag said:

It is true. I am a nurse. Back at the height of the cases, my neighbor was furlowed. My clinic is esential and couldnt close but we limited staff and even had other nurses come to out clinic to perform clerical duties for many weeks just so they could keep their paychecks going. When the hospitals started cancelling elective procedures many lost their jobs. My hospitals in the Tampa Bay area (Im on staff at 2) were never ever at a point that they were overrun with covid patients. Im not saying it is overblown because there were hospitala a one point at capacity in NY, Texas and California but I will say this was not the case in every state. Our Fl hospitals were always fine. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Which hospital?

How many empty beds?

How many nurses furloughed?

etc.etc.

My point is that it is just so easy for posters to write things to suit their argument....because they do so, doesn't make what is written true!

Since I was posting about a family member, not the public in general, this stuff is really none of your business.

• Like 4

On 3/26/2021 at 12:06 PM, Marine Mom said:

You are 100% correct!  

Hi @Marine Mom.

I'd like to invite you to check out our community "Rat Pack" in the Floataway Lounge forum.

We have a great group of folks in the CC Rat Pack and I think you'd fit right in. Don't worry, although our group is named after the real Rat Pack (Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin & Fran Sinatra), which are all men, we do not gender discriminate (we have ladies in our group currently).

If your interested, just go to our thread and place a post. Absolutely no pressure. I just have a feeling that you are "like-minded" with us in the CC Rat Pack and would fit right in.

@HuliHuli, @Sailing12Away

37 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Hi @Marine Mom.

I'd like to invite you to check out our community "Rat Pack" in the Floataway Lounge forum.

We have a great group of folks in the CC Rat Pack and I think you'd fit right in. Don't worry, although our group is named after the real Rat Pack (Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin & Fran Sinatra), which are all men, we do not gender discriminate (we have ladies in our group currently).

If your interested, just go to our thread and place a post. Absolutely no pressure. I just have a feeling that you are "like-minded" with us in the CC Rat Pack and would fit right in.

@HuliHuli, @Sailing12Away

I want to join the Mickey Mouse ---OOPS---Rat Pack Club.    Are you the president?   Is it  like The little rascals  He Man Woman haters club.   

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 1:52 PM, Julienatul said:

It is true. I am a nurse. Back at the height of the cases, my neighbor was furlowed. My clinic is esential and couldnt close but we limited staff and even had other nurses come to out clinic to perform clerical duties for many weeks just so they could keep their paychecks going. When the hospitals started cancelling elective procedures many lost their jobs. My hospitals in the Tampa Bay area (Im on staff at 2) were never ever at a point that they were overrun with covid patients. Im not saying it is overblown because there were hospitala a one point at capacity in NY, Texas and California but I will say this was not the case in every state. Our Fl hospitals were always fine. 

That's just it, the situation was very different in every part of the country with those of us on the east coast getting the brunt of it first before we knew what to expect. We were above capacity for several months (510 beds on paper) with every single available room (conference rooms, our library, our cafeteria) not only turned into a nursing unit, but icu unit. We had three refrigerated trucks in our parking lot housing bodies because the morgue had no room. It was insane.

I get it, some of you didn't have it as bad as we did, but when I hear people downplay what we went through, it's beyond disrespectful and insulting. I truly hope we never have to go through that again in my lifetime.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, madgran said:

I want to join the Mickey Mouse ---OOPS---Rat Pack Club.    Are you the president?   Is it  like The little rascals  He Man Woman haters club.   

Founder. Nope, the CC Rat Pack does not gender discriminate.

5 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Founder. Nope, the CC Rat Pack does not gender discriminate.

I hope you did not take that the wrong way.  I was just messing around and the vodka tonic did not help.  Peace and happiness.

• Haha 2

On 3/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, skywonder said:

My cruise buddy who happens to be a nurse caught COVID in May of 2020. She is still not back to work because of continuing effects including dizziness and extreme fatigue. My cousin, who caught it during post surgery rehab in November was hospitalized 2 weeks ago with blood clots in both lungs.  
Elective surgeries were postponed in many places, leading to low patient counts, but as my cousin's case shows, probably a good thing. 
The virus can only mutate when it is infecting.  Lower the infection rate, you lower the number of mutations, hospitalizations and deaths. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, madgran said:

I hope you did not take that the wrong way.  I was just messing around and the vodka tonic did not help.  Peace and happiness.

No, I didn't take it the wrong way. Being that we are named after the original Rat Pack (Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin & Frank Sinatra) who are all men, I just wanted to point out that we don't gender discriminate. We have multiple ladies in our CC Rat Pack.

Hmmm...messing around and vodka tonic. You may be CC Rat Pack material.